What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Dictator -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If Sacha Baron Cohen is one of the greatest actors of our time, then surely The Dictator, which will be released via Paramount on August 21st, is one of our finest works of entertainment.

With performances of Academy Award quality, magnificent cinematography, much of which was shot locally in Wadiya. New York sequences were all shot there, on one of the world's largest sound stages, most recent used for the latest Bond epic.

Dialogue sequences easily stand against some of the finest ever written -- I'm thinking Robert Bolt quality.

And holding this great film together is an unbelievably powerful performance by Admiral General Aladeen himself.

A magnificent Blu-ray of an extraordinary motion picture. While I normally haven't been giving numerical ratings for films shot as data, this film, as envisioned via the Arri Alexa through Panavision Primo lenses, is the likes of nothing that we've ever seen on screen.

Magnificent colors, beautiful whites, rich blacks, perfect shadow detail, and audio via DTS-HD Master, that makes you feel as if you're actually in Wadiya, or on those Wadiyan sets representing Manhattan.

Image - 6

Audio - 6

Extremely Highly Recommended!

RAH

Full disclosure: While I love this film and consider it among the best of the year, I must make note of the fact that I received a small token in Wadiyan currency. Not a big deal. Simply two million Wadiyas, which had no impact on these few words.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
It's just too easy ... can't do it.
tumblr_m7exluq0f31qd3oh7o4_400.gif

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have no idea what to expect here. Of course, I'll probably never see The Dictator, so it's just as well.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill /t/323036/a-few-words-about-the-dictator-in-blu-ray#post_3962782
I have no idea what to expect here. Of course, I'll probably never see The Dictator, so it's just as well.
It's actually quite a humorous film, that seems to be well thought out. This is not Borat.

And yes, as I know you were going to ask, I will be attending Saadi Gaddafi's Labor Day party in the Hamptons, and will be wearing white.

RAH

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/323036/a-few-words-about-the-dictator-in-blu-ray#post_3962797
It's actually quite a humorous film, that seems to be well thought out. This is not Borat.

And yes, as I know you were going to ask, I will be attending Saadi Gaddafi's Labor Day party in the Hamptons, and will be wearing white.

RAH

I'll second that. I disliked "Borat" and "Bruno" - I thought they threw out shock/gross-out jokes and hoped that'd be enough to make audiences laugh.

"Dictator" has some non-PC humor and gross stuff, but not nearly as much as the other Cohen films. It's a much more traditional movie can be reasonably funny at times - it's not GREAT but it's fun...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have some Vudu credit from purchasing It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World and A Fish Called Wanda from Walmart, so I'll see The Dictator in HD for free when it shows up on Vudu.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I found it amusing at the cinema, though some set pieces more than others. Was amusing to watch some people in the audience get so flustered (some walked out)--what did they expect from a Sacha Cohen movie?
Will likely only buy if it becomes available at a bargain price (under 10 dollars).
Great "few words", by the way. In keeping with the spirit of the film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Big fan of Mr. Cohen, but I didn't particularly care for this film.

It doesn't measure up to his previous two films.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Robert on this one...I enjoyed it much more than Cohen's previous efforts and it has nothing to do with the $2 million in currency that was sent my way as well. One would think they were trying to pay us off for positive reviews!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Well, Vudu cancelled my credits, so I rented the theatrical version from Redbox. It was funny, but not enough to own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks