What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Doctor Strange -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Disney's Doctor Strange is one gorgeous Blu-ray.

Shot large format dat, with a bit of S35, it's a film that could benefit from a 4k release, if Disney were to go there.

As I no longer follow such things, I'm unaware of the extended Marvel Universe, and knew little or nothing of the good doctor.

What's interesting is that although I respect, and enjoy Mr. Cumberbatch's acting abilities, this is one more example of American actors being put out of work by Brits crossing our borders, and making off with millions of dollars of payroll.

There are tons of six-foot fortyish American white dudes that could have played this role...

and who dictates that the good doctor even be white?

Regardless of the interloping thespian, Doctor Strange is a strangely interesting film, with superb digital effects, and a screenplay that makes me feel that the film may have come from a four-hour cut, especially with its seemingly minimal use of Rachel McAdams, who incidentally was brought across a neighboring border, probably taking work away from Amy Adams. But at least we've never been at war with Canada. Can't say that about the UK.

I can buy Tilda Swinton, as "The Ancient One," whatever that is, but where would one find a quality 5' 10" Himalayan actor willing to shave their head anyway.

It may have been well that I had zero forewarning about the film, as it might have set up preconceptions about things such has having an American as the good doctor.

All of that aside, Disney has created a magnificent Blu-ray representation of the film, which is a fun way to shed two hours.

Audio is via full-bodied DTS-HD MA 7.1, that will rattle your speakers.

The film is available domestically in the Cinematic Universe Edition, which contains both the Blu-ray, as well as 3D. For those who like to impress their friends it can also be attained as a 3D SteelBook from Best Buy, which is guaranteed to protect your investment in case of nuclear attack.

Image - 5

Audio -5 (DTS-HD MA7.1)

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
My only issue with the source was some of the fuzzy shots, and dim library scenes, but it was noted this was the source so it is what it is.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Just purchased this as a Disney Movie Club (DMC) Monthly Selection (3 down, 1 to go) on our new account.
First time in awhile (since Star Wars TFA (2015) and Star Trek, Beyond (2016)) I've purchased one of today's modern movies.

Along with this, got the Members Discount on Treasure Island (1950) and The Aristocats (1970). My Disney Library is getting there, still some collecting to do, especially whenever Disney gets around to releasing The Black Hole (1979) and a Parent Trap Compendium (1961, 1985, 1998).

Looking forward to Screening Doctor Strange (2016)

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
What's interesting is that although I respect, and enjoy Mr. Cumberbatch's acting abilities, this is one more example of American actors being put out of work by Brits crossing our borders, and making off with millions of dollars of payroll.

There are tons of six-foot fortyish American white dudes that could have played this role...

As a Brit, I take your point, but who's doing the hiring/casting? They're responsible for putting American actors out of work, not those who accept the parts.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As a Brit, I take your point, but who's doing the hiring/casting? They're responsible for putting American actors out of work, not those who accept the parts.

Actually this situation is a bit clouded with Doctor S, as some studio work was performed in the U.K., with other material in Nepal and China.

So multiple actors of differing nationalities are crossing borders.

Things were far easier when Black Narcissus was shot, with all of the studio scenes at Pinewood, but then Tibetan monks could have been out of work. And then there's the situation of poor girl cast as Kanchi, whose parents gave up everything toward her acting, only to have Jean Simmons brought in at the last moment.

While Doctor S may have been more of an international production, many American cities, such as New York, which survive just above the poverty level, lose more and more shoots to Toronto, Vancouver and others in Canada, with location scouts wooed away with illegal gifts of high end Canada Goose jackets, which are then ferreted across our border.

This must stop.

Legitimate locations should be sacrosanct.

Look at the recent Scott production, The Martian. Perfect example, and why Matt Damon hadn't been seen on film in aeons.

Exteriors shot at Johnson Space Center and JPL. All exteriors shot on mars, which caused a huge uptick to the Martian economy, and mass layoffs at Pinewood.

But it is acknowledged that only filmmakers with requisite budgets can attain that authenticity.

No reason why it could not have been shot in a slightly redressed New Orleans. Great economics working in Louisiana, where anything can be done.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
When I saw this in the theater, I complained to the manager about it being dark. That theater has a history of dimming the projector bulb, so I think I was right to complain. But watching this on blu-ray, on my own projector on a 108" screen, I think some of the scenes were made very dark -- too dark in fact. If the film is so dark that the audience is unsure what's going on, you need more light. (I had the same complaint with some scenes of Star Trek Beyond at the same theater last summer. I've yet to watch that blu-ray to compare.)

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I've gotten to where I read several trusted reviews of the blu-ray before I watch, just to know what to expect from the PQ and what was from the source.

Tends to be less distracting when you see it, or at least I understand it was intent and not something wrong.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
For some reason I am usually blissfully unaware of conditions like this in the theatre once the movie starts. I don't seem to notice whether it is too dark, surround sound etc.
Every time we go to an IMAX movie, I have usually read reviews which talk about certain scenes being filmed in the IMAX aspect ratio while the rest of the film is not, and I tell myself to look for this, but I forget every time once the movie gets going.
When I get the blu-ray at home however, I am driven nuts. I notice every picture that is too dark, or misplaced sound effect, and don't get me started about ghosting in 3D discs!

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Enjoyed this a lot. I guess it would have won best visual effects at the Oscars if there had not been this obscure little film some years ago with the weird title "Inception".

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
For those that are curious, the 3D version is the IMAX 3D version, with alternating aspect ratios.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
For some reason I am usually blissfully unaware of conditions like this in the theatre once the movie starts. I don't seem to notice whether it is too dark, surround sound etc.
Every time we go to an IMAX movie, I have usually read reviews which talk about certain scenes being filmed in the IMAX aspect ratio while the rest of the film is not, and I tell myself to look for this, but I forget every time once the movie gets going.
When I get the blu-ray at home however, I am driven nuts. I notice every picture that is too dark, or misplaced sound effect, and don't get me started about ghosting in 3D discs!

Part of that is many times the theater projector is setup properly and calibrated, in the home is a little different.

I only use my HT now so:

1. All movies are viewed on Blu-ray, UHD Blu or DVD (last resort)
  2. All movies are viewed once it is dark, in a pitch black room
  3. All my gear is pro calibrated
  4. I read up on the source so I know any PQ issues that source related, so I understand the intent before watching. That is just my OCD with PQ, plus if the audio track isn't that good as well, I know going in.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I liked the Old Robert Harris before, but I think I like the New Robert Harris even more.

[thinks a bit]

CAPTAIN Robert Harris! No, just... oh, never mind.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I liked the Old Robert Harris before, but I think I like the New Robert Harris even more.

[thinks a bit]

CAPTAIN Robert Harris! No, just... oh, never mind.
He should have taken the blue pill ...
red_pill_blue_pill-copy3.gif
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks