What's new

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Deal or no deal, Amazon keeps on taking on orders way past their allotment as if they think... "Hey, we'll just order more!"
This isn't the first time Amazon pulls something like this and it surely won't be the last.
Absolutely. I put the blame for this is entirely on Amazon. Someone there dropped the ball and either didn't realize that it was limited or they just didn't care and let the orders continue when they knew or should have known that they couldn't meet them all.

I don't know Arrow's contractual obligations but if it's possible, they should immediately announce plans (if any) for a non-LE release to thwart scalpers and let the consumers know what is happening with it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"TravisR, post: 4562871, member: 318660"]Absolutely. I put the blame for this is entirely on Amazon. Someone there dropped the ball and either didn't realize that it was limited or they just didn't care and let the orders continue when they knew or should have known that they couldn't meet them all.

I don't know Arrow's contractual obligations but if it's possible, they should immediately announce plans (if any) for a non-LE release to thwart scalpers and let the consumers know what is happening with it.
God, I would love it

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely. I put the blame for this is entirely on Amazon. Someone there dropped the ball and either didn't realize that it was limited or they just didn't care and let the orders continue when they knew or should have known that they couldn't meet them all.

What I still don't understand is why no other channel got many/any at all.

Does Arrow have a primary or pseudo exclusive deal with Amazon so that Amazon gets dibs on all Arrow merchandise (similar to what BBY and Warner seem to have going on) and only then does anyone else get any copies. It's still baffling to me how the largest Media Wholesaler/Distribution Warehouse in the US (if not the world) got basically shut out. I'm still waiting for the 3rd Shoe to drop and 1500-2000 copies mysteriously show up at Amazon and elsewhere.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, it is interesting. If 3000 of these were sold in the US prior to release day and it seems only very few people actually got a copy from Amazon...most here seem to have had their order canceled...who were the retailers selling these like hotcakes? Where did people get them?

I still think this is wonderful news for the life of classic film on blu-ray but I still want to ask...because I just don't think this film is as well known or as popular as other classic films...where did all these Billy Wilder fans come from?

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Honestly, as somebody who earns a living as a PR professional, I have to say that how Arrow is handling this from a PR perspective is really terrible. They're responding to everyone who inquires about the sell-out on social media with a canned response (we're looking for additional stock, you can always import from the UK, etc.), when what this really calls for is 1) an official statement explaining exactly what happened along with 2) an apology re: their failure to anticipate the demand and 3) a definitive word one way or the other on plans to issue a standard release. Frankly, they should have had somebody on point responding to this over the holidays (it's insane that they waited this long, whether they were in the office or not, as I'm sure they were aware of the issue early), but this is so little, so late that it reflects really terribly on them and their views toward their customers.

I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this, but there's no way anyone can conclude that they handled the situation well. Textbook "what not to do" in the PR world.

They are blaming amazon. They told me amazon got their allotment it's their (amazon's) fault for "overselling"

Mark VH

Second Unit
They are blaming amazon. They told me amazon got their allotment it's their (amazon's) fault for "overselling"

Yeah, I sent them an email about this. They continue to screw up the aftermath of this release in disastrous ways. Regardless of whose fault it is, when someone gets screwed out of a product you made, it's your responsibility to issue a statement that explains what happened, demonstrates you understand the customer's frustration and that you're going to work to ensure it doesn't happen again. This shouldn't be that hard.

Arrow releases some beautiful Blu-rays, but their approach to PR and customer service is amateur hour. It's really lowered my overall appreciation for them as a company. And I'm speaking as somebody who was able to get a copy of the release!

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Well, it is interesting. If 3000 of these were sold in the US prior to release day and it seems only very few people actually got a copy from Amazon...most here seem to have had their order canceled...who were the retailers selling these like hotcakes? Where did people get them?

In with Reggie on this one - I'm not a conspiracy theorist but those are very important question. I do not believe that the full set of facts are known yet - as much as I like The Apartment I find it difficult to believe that it has the "name recognition" among the masses to sell out 3,000 copies here in the USA. How many people found copies in their local B&M stores ? Online stores ? etc...

Regards,

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I hit up my local B&Ms for this and came up totally empty. I live near an FYE that had the big, fat collector editions of Donnie Darko and Re-Animator long after those sold out.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Assuming that a clerk at the Barnes and Noble in Chino Hills, California knows B&N's system thoroughly, as of Saturday (12/30) there were only two B&N's in the U.S. that had copies in-stock: one in West Madison (Wisconsin) and the other in East Madison. The copy in East Madison is being shipped to me - for a little over $50.00 (including shipping), but at least I have the personal satisfaction of not having transacted with the speculators!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm just gonna be my usual skeptical self :) Looking to see if there's further stock available. Something reeks there - they either sold out or they didn't. If I wanted to go to conspiracy theory land I would say they maybe didn't press all 3,000 copies - I'd say they maybe pressed 1500 to 2000 copies in the same way TT does. My guess is those copies going so fast created a panic and frenzy, as usually happens. I believe Arrow enjoyed that, waited, and now will press the remaining copies and magically they will appear. All supposition on my part, of course, but sorry, 6,000 copies of this selling out - studios can't sell 4k restorations like that - you think one of these beautiful Warner Archive discs of something from fifty-five years ago has sold 6,000 copies - because they haven't. This isn't sci-fi or horror. Here's the line that bothers: "We are looking to see if there's further stock available though so there may be more copies available at a future date. It was 3000 in each territory. AV"

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
You can still get this from Amazon.uk sellers for $50 inc shipping to USA, so technically is it sold out?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I see it can be pre-ordered at amazon.ca for $43.76 delivered to USA; Jan 9 release date

That appears to be an option, but it's debatable whether Amazon has any in stock to ship from there either since NA stock should all come from the same pile. At worst they'll cancel it and provide you with some compensation.

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop and the mysterious pile of 1000- 2000 items to show up at the warehouse or some other explanation for the supposed sell-out to show up. Did AmazonUS and AmazonCa get their deliveries transposed? Maybe we'll find out next week. It's a bit odd from other Arrow's I've looked into for Ca and US to have different release dates so is there a glitch in the distribution network that is making the whole system thing Jan 8th is the actual release date -- doubtful, but makes as much sense as any of the rest of this release.

Why did Amazon apparently oversell the item 10-20:1 -- is there any reason to think 50K preorders were put in for this item? Did some scalper buy (or get preferential shipment) from Amazon for 2000K units -- if so why are there only 10 Ebay listings for an apparently $150-200 auction and no seller is listing more than a single copy (though I do see one seller with ?4 sold copies)

Why did the biggest Media Distribution Company (ALLIANCE) apparently get no copies at all -- or virtually none. Why did BestBuy.com or Walmart.com get virtually no copies to sell online since I'm not sure BBY ever had a preorder and WM like Amazon canceled most of their orders (an then shipped a bunch anyway as is typical of Walmart cancellations lately).

Bullmoose apparently had about 10-20 copies to sell, then went to "Sold out, but we expect to restock next week" and now shows "Item unavailable, we are trying to get more"

Last edited:

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Here is the latest from Bull Moose.

Hello,

Thank you for your order! We have been notified that the our distributor has drastically cut our allocation on this release. Unfortunately, this means we will not be able to fill your order for this item. We realize this is limited item and we apologize for inability to ship you the copy you ordered. Sadly, this situation is far beyond our control. Thank you for understanding and sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Sebastian/Bull Moose

Mark VH

Second Unit
Here is the latest from Bull Moose.

Hello,

Thank you for your order! We have been notified that the our distributor has drastically cut our allocation on this release. Unfortunately, this means we will not be able to fill your order for this item. We realize this is limited item and we apologize for inability to ship you the copy you ordered. Sadly, this situation is far beyond our control. Thank you for understanding and sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Sebastian/Bull Moose

Bummer that you got this, but at least it's a MUCH more thoughtful response than Arrow has been able to provide.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
For whomever is interested...Arrow is still selling this on their site. Says limited availability...but they have it.

I just don't understand why this old black and white film sold far faster than all other old black and white films when I find it hard to believe that The Apartment is/was the most sought after old black and white film in the history of film. This is a shocker...and I too wonder if more of these will show up all of a sudden.

"Oops, we found a bunch of missing stock!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks