What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Where the Crawdads Sing -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Two points hit me almost concurrently as the first frames of Olivia Newman's Where the Crawdad's Sing.

The first was the location - an area of this country that I love. The natural magnificence of the American Southeast with it's marshes, estuaries, pine and cypress, filled with a very unique floral and fauna, and always overhead - Spanish moss.

The next was memories of E.B. White's Preposterous Parable: The Family That Dwelt Apart, an extremely short story, written in 1937, with a resultant short film via The National Film Board of Canada.

The story, and short, concern a certain extremely insular family living quietly by themselves on a tiny island in Barnetuck Bay, which in reality is off the coast of New Jersey, fed by a number of rivers and streams in the area inclusive of the Toms and Forked.

It's history goes back to comments by one Henry Hudson, made in 1609.

For whatever reason, I always saw it as off the coast of Massachusetts or possibly Rhode Island, and whenever reading the short story to friends, always took on the appropriate, and incorrect accent.

But I digress.

Where the Crawdad's Sing is not about a wonderfully friendly insular family who dwelt apart, but rather a family that self-destructs before our eyes, leaving a young Kya, played as a child by a wonderful newcomer, Jojo Regina, and as a teen and young adult by Daisy Edgar-Jones.

What's interesting about the film is that it fits into many genres. Love story, drama, police procedural, and oddly, cold case.

It's beautifully shot with an Arri Alexa, and finished as a 4k DI. While I would have loved to see what the film looked like in 4k, the new Blu-ray release from Columbia will have to suffice, and there are times I was pleased to be without HDR.

As shot by Polly Morgan, the results on Blu-ray are magnificent.

The track gives us the natural beauty of the surrounding sounds of nature, and works to fill the viewing area.

Image - 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I really enjoyed this film and had been looking forward to it ever since I heard they made the book (which oddly I never finished) into a film. I bought the bluray but since I was curious about the 4k I compared the stream to the bluray for the first 10 minutes, trying to decide which version to watch. Both looked good and while I usually prefer HDR, I found I preferred the bluray in this case.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I guess you'll have to leave it to your imagination.
Perhaps with a live lobster dinner ...

1663662659065.png
:D!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Had a summer gathering probably 20 years ago, and had about 50 pounds of the delightful critters shipped in.

There’s a bit of teaching involved for the uninitiated.

No singing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timwarner2022
Recent bookmarks