What's new

cmgiulini

Auditioning
Real Name
Lynn Becker
I was lucky enough to be in L.A. in 1991 and was able to see the debut of the Robert Harris's amazing restoration at Century City. An unforgettable experience. Back home in Chicago, only a 35mm print played at Piper's Alley, so I only saw that 70mm restoration in a theater once. A year or so ago, the Music Box had a print for its 70mm film festival, but the quality was VERY poor, in color and clarity. Looking forward to seeing this new 4K release . And also seeing a good 70mm again some day?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
does 35mm have more color information that is 'brough out more' by Dolby Vision. or am i just speaking apples/oranges. in another words, was there more color information in 35mm of this film brought out by Dolby Vision than was possible with Blu-Ray SDR? or was SDR "good enough" for most 35mm films?

sorry i've never even physically touched a 35mm film for movies >P so i've got no idea/references.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
does 35mm have more color information that is 'brough out more' by Dolby Vision. or am i just speaking apples/oranges. in another words, was there more color information in 35mm of this film brought out by Dolby Vision than was possible with Blu-Ray SDR? or was SDR "good enough" for most 35mm films?

sorry i've never even physically touched a 35mm film for movies >P so i've got no idea/references.
You’re correct. Apples / oranges. The digital mimics film, and can do it very well.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I saw the Spartacus (and Lawrence Of Arabia) 70mm restorations at the Charles theater in Boston on Saturday mornings. There were half a dozen people in the audience, so I got to pick the best seat in the house. Sad that there was so little interest back then however it motivated me to invest in laserdisc. My justification, they last forever and 4:3 will never look better, how wrong could I be, rot (just a few discs) and digital processing saw to that.

This new UHD steelbook is a steal at $20. I purchased the Blu-ray steelbook for $12 at BB last Xmas and was extremely impressed with the video quality. I've read this thread and no one has described (in detail) the differences between the Blu-ray and UHD?

The reason I ask is, I don't have a 4K player but I'm itching to get one and need an excuse, also, I'm waiting for Sony to introduce a small format player to fit in place of my existing player.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I saw the Spartacus (and Lawrence Of Arabia) 70mm restorations at the Charles theater in Boston on Saturday mornings. There were half a dozen people in the audience, so I got to pick the best seat in the house. Sad that there was so little interest back then however it motivated me to invest in laserdisc. My justification, they last forever and 4:3 will never look better, how wrong could I be, rot (just a few discs) and digital processing saw to that.

This new UHD steelbook is a steal at $20. I purchased the Blu-ray steelbook for $12 at BB last Xmas and was extremely impressed with the video quality. I've read this thread and no one has described (in detail) the differences between the Blu-ray and UHD?

The reason I ask is, I don't have a 4K player but I'm itching to get one and need an excuse, also, I'm waiting for Sony to introduce a small format player to fit in place of my existing player.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i dont have one either... are the x700/x800 too large?

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil

I take a friend of mine every time they show Lawrence, Spartacus or West Side Story on the big screen. He always tells me, oh, I can watch them on TV. He still has an old standard definition tube TV at home. He was so impressed. He had never seen Lawrence before. No experience like these 70mm films on the big screen. Also went to see Ben-Hur at a Fathom event a few years ago. The uninformed audience were chuckling when the Overture was playing. They played right through the Entr‘acte with no time to really take a stretch. Especially if you wanted to enjoy Rozsa’s wonderful score. I’m still in Florida from my winter time here. I can’t wait to
go home (NY) to enjoy my 4K UHDs of Spartacus and Lawrence in my home theatre. My
quarantine won’t be so terrible.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...And also seeing a good 70mm again some day?
Unfortunately, I think those days are gone. The only time we're likely to see new film prints struck is when someone with the clout of Nolan or Tarantino insists on it.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
if you lived near where i am, you can, i dunno where they got the print but it's a frequent visitor at my local 70mm festival (back pre-pandemic of course). they hold one every year:

Unfortunately, I think those days are gone. The only time we're likely to see new film prints struck is when someone with the clout of Nolan or Tarantino insists on it.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
i dont have one either... are the x700/x800 too large?

The x800 is full width (19"), x700 is medium width (15"), my Sony Blu-ray player is half width (9"), if UHD increases in popularity eventually they'll come out with a half width UHD player. Either that or have to re-arrange my AV gear and furniture, we'll see which comes first.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
One thing it's missing: Robert Harris' commentary to the Criterion LD.

I don't think Criterion has ever licensed out any of its extras.

One film that's never had a running commentary by any company is Lawrence of Arabia. Was hoping the new 4K UHD would have changed that.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

One film that's never had a running commentary by any company is Lawrence of Arabia. Was hoping the new 4K UHD would have changed that.
Um not exactly true ...
1596054648043.png
:cool:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

That's a shame. Kevin Brownlow would be a great choice for that.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
The x800 is full width (19"), x700 is medium width (15"), my Sony Blu-ray player is half width (9"), if UHD increases in popularity eventually they'll come out with a half width UHD player. Either that or have to re-arrange my AV gear and furniture, we'll see which comes first.
Don't want to get off subject but I suggest you check out the Panasonic range before you buy especially the UB 420 .
It's an incredible bargain as well as the Panasonics being regarded as technically superior to the Sonys.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Thanks for clarifying, Robert! From what I've read though, the actual cover on the steelbook was newly done for this release. They must have "borrowed" the arm from the archives. :)

The last steelbook cover for the blu was magnificent. This looks better suited for the New Zealand TV series. IMHO.

But it’s the film that counts and RAH you are the best for your tireless efforts is bringing this and the others back to life. I too saw this at the Ziegfeld way back when and remember when everyone burst out in applause at the end. And MFL I remember brought tears to my eyes when those opening credits rolled. Unfortunately I don’t think anything can replicate those experiences again anymore for multiple reasons- especially here in NYC. But thank you once again (an understatement) to you and your team for showing the world back then how film restoration was possible and needed as these films are treasured art works of the 2Oth century.

Does anyone know if a good book exits on the making of and the various re-releases of Spartacus?
I need to research this and find one.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Don't want to get off subject but I suggest you check out the Panasonic range before you buy especially the UB 420 .
It's an incredible bargain as well as the Panasonics being regarded as technically superior to the Sonys.

Thanks for the advice. All the Panasonics are full width so I'm hoping Sony will introduce a half width player with remaining bugs ironed out.

Another point I should mention, I'm not sure my vision is good enough for 4K, my ability to focus varies from morning to night etc.

To realize the benefit of 4K it appears that both the player choice and my vision need assessing before investing in 4K. Good to know.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Sony players will be superior in a number of things and both have a few rather crucial limitations. For example I would not use a Sony as my player with a Dolby Vision display. Nor would I ever use a Panasonic for file playback, streaming, or when external processing in the display or a video processor is preferred. It should also be noted that if one wants the Panasonic HDR processing for projectors only the 9000 has the full adjustment range, at least it was like that when I last looked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks