What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Seven Brides for Seven Brothers -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
^ There's your mistake. :) They aren't. The foley matches the video. The foley does not match the music. Therefore, the music does not match the video.

I know you're trying to bow out now. But if the music does not match the video, then why don't the dancers look like they are out of sync with the music and nevermind about the relatively insignificant detail of the foley sounds? Or do they to some people?

Well, the foley track on the Cinemascope version DOES kinda make the dancers sound more like a bunch of Dutch clog dancers.

Ah, and I would argue that is just fine and might even be more appropriate for this earliest stage of the barn dance sequence. Impressive dancing has not really kicked in yet, so to speak. The music track and the dance moves at this early stage of the sequence are, imo, intentionally hokey, corny, simplistically cute and not meant to make the dancing look particularly impressive for its skill and precision. Isn't there a cow bell or something like that in the music score here?

Now, it would not be fine by the time the brothers decide to take up the challenge of a barn dance showdown, right about the time the clip in question fades out, or by the time Jane Powell (Millie) dances with Tommy Rall (Frank). But at this earliest stage of the sequence, should we be impressed with what skilled and precise dancers these townsfolk are rather than focusing on the confrontational body language of the characters setting up the reason for the far more impressive dancing and stunts (and music soundtrack) to come?

(Late edit; I was composing and posting this one before seeing Mr. Harris' previous post. Sorry about that.)

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Exciting news to learn that 7Bf7B is selling hot.
Fingers crossed that this will bode well for future restorations.
Congratulations to WAC.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Excellent discussions; adding further to how I'll watch the disc.
Sometimes I watch for just the film and other times for the technical things discussed.
All perspectives lends itself towards multiple viewings and enhance my love of everything that is film.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Lighthearted puns; deleted by PMF

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just to be clear, the use of Ansco Color had nothing to do with budget restrictions. Ansco Color, the American version of Agfacolor, was primarily used by MGM during the second half of 1953 when the process was still actively attempting to compete with Eastman's new color negative. In addition to SEVEN BRIDES, MGM also produced THE LONG LONG TRAILER, KISS ME KATE, & BRIGADOON in the process. There are. I'm sure, some others I can't remember at this moment.

The reason Ansco is problematic and "soft" is because, like German Agfacolor before it, Ansco used color couplers that were larger than their corresponding film grain in order to trap them in their respective emulsion layers and avoid dye wander. The larger couplers resulted in a "thicker" negative that allowed light scatter and a correspondingly softer image. Eastmancolor (based on the Agfacolor patent, by the way) encased their couplers in droplets of oil that formed tiny clouds of color during development and allowed for a thinner negative with a sharper image.

I believe the final was Lust for Life. Freddie Young hated working with the stock, but M-G-M insisted on using up their stock, down to short-ends.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
My take on this, which should end the discussion, as I believe all points have been made, is that Karl should be working at a studio, with old film elements.

Ah, Mr. Harris. I can never tell if when your tongue is in your cheek. :) (and it's probably just as well).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think the best tact here would be to simply stop talking directly about other members and to stay on the topic at hand: the new release of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think the best tact here would be to simply stop talking directly about other members and to stay on the topic at hand: the new release of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
Right, people are receiving their own discs so let's have people comment on their personal experiences with this Blu-ray release.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Just to be clear, the use of Ansco Color had nothing to do with budget restrictions. Ansco Color, the American version of Agfacolor, was primarily used by MGM during the second half of 1953 when the process was still actively attempting to compete with Eastman's new color negative. In addition to SEVEN BRIDES, MGM also produced THE LONG LONG TRAILER, KISS ME KATE, & BRIGADOON in the process. There are. I'm sure, some others I can't remember at this moment.

The reason Ansco is problematic and "soft" is because, like German Agfacolor before it, Ansco used color couplers that were larger than their corresponding film grain in order to trap them in their respective emulsion layers and avoid dye wander. The larger couplers resulted in a "thicker" negative that allowed light scatter and a correspondingly softer image. Eastmancolor (based on the Agfacolor patent, by the way) encased their couplers in droplets of oil that formed tiny clouds of color during development and allowed for a thinner negative with a sharper image.

As RAH stated Lust for Life (1956) was the last in Ansco. Others from the 1953-54 season were Arena (3D, also), Ride, Vaquero!, Take the High Ground!, Escape From Fort Bravo, Tennessee Champ, Gypsy Colt, The Student Prince and Men of the Fighting Lady.

And, I just received my copy of 7BF7B today. Can't wait to indulge! As others have stated, it's off to a brisk start in sales at Amazon- #98 in all Movies/TV, #2 in Blu-ray Musicals.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As RAH stated Lust for Life (1956) was the last in Ansco. Others from the 1953-54 season were Arena (3D, also), Ride, Vaquero!, Take the High Ground!, Escape From Fort Bravo, Tennessee Champ, Gypsy Colt, The Student Prince and Men of the Fighting Lady.

And, I just received my copy of 7BF7B today. Can't wait to indulge! As others have stated, it's off to a brisk start in sales at Amazon- #98 in all Movies/TV, #2 in Blu-ray Musicals.

And if that continues, it gives the division, the ability to do more work on other films.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I believe the final was Lust for Life. Freddie Young hated working with the stock, but M-G-M insisted on using up their stock, down to short-ends.
According to John Houseman in one of his autobiographies (he wrote at least three) he and Minnelli were at a party while they were preparing "Lust for Life" and someone who worked for either Eastman color or Ansco, if I recall correctly, told them that Eastman couldn't reproduce a true yellow-a problem for a film about Van Gogh. It was Minnelli and Houseman who insisted Metro track down whatever Ansco film they could for the movie. At least that was Houseman's version. I don't have the books to check, I got them from the library via inter-library loan. I'll see if I can pinpoint which book it was in.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
According to John Houseman in one of his autobiographies (he wrote at least three) he and Minnelli were at a party while they were preparing "Lust for Life" and someone who worked for either Eastman color or Ansco, if I recall correctly, told them that Eastman couldn't reproduce a true yellow-a problem for a film about Van Gogh. It was Minnelli and Houseman who insisted Metro track down whatever Ansco film they could for the movie. At least that was Houseman's version. I don't have the books to check, I got them from the library via inter-library loan. I'll see if I can pinpoint which book it was in.

I got those Houseman autobiographies from a library too. I wish now I'd gone out and bought them. I thought they were excellent, and now they're a collector's item, very hard to find and usually expensive..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks