What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the best films of 2020, a year that after viewing those in competition could easily lead one (as noted by a late night TV host) to take a bath with a toaster.

I don't recall a year with more depressing productions, but it was 2020.

It's been released by Searchlight - is this the first under Disney?

Meticulously acted and directed, and gorgeously photographed by Joshua Richards, it's a film worth viewing as long as depression isn't setting in.

I believe it just won some Union Station awards.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I didn't feel anything depressing about the film. I just felt, well that song from "A Chorus Line" comes to mind: "Nothing." I agreed with a reviewer who wrote that in this film "nobody ever gets angry, raises their voice or votes for Donald Trump. They don't even say swears. Zhao has made 'The Grapes of Wrath' without the wrath. It's the nicest film about homelessness you'll ever see."

"The Grapes of Wrath" -- now there's a movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Possibly I’m viewing too many films. Possibly an uplifting ending, but what these poor people are forced to endure while trying to survive...
I haven’t seen this movie, but friends of mine who have seen it, told me watching this morning was a chore despite the fine acting performance.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't feel anything depressing about the film. I just felt, well that song from "A Chorus Line" comes to mind: "Nothing." I agreed with a reviewer who wrote that in this film "nobody ever gets angry, raises their voice or votes for Donald Trump. They don't even say swears. Zhao has made 'The Grapes of Wrath' without the wrath. It's the nicest film about homelessness you'll ever see."

"The Grapes of Wrath" -- now there's a movie.
Please, there is no reason to reference a political figure. Any further such posts will be deleted.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
...sigh...

I changed what you deem to be unwanted to the same intent of the reviews author.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
...sigh...

I changed what you deem to be unwanted to the same intent of the reviews author.
I made my point and will delete any further posts with political references, no matter which reviewer stated it in their review.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Ironically, what you wrote above is exactly why Nomadland is a very flawed movie. It won't discuss the reasons these people's lives are they way they are. "The nicest film about homelessness you'll ever see," in other words.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ironically, what you wrote above is exactly why Nomadland is a very flawed movie. It won't discuss the reasons these people's lives are they way they are. "The nicest film about homelessness you'll ever see," in other words.
Had the gypsum plant not closed...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I haven’t seen this movie, but friends of mine who have seen it, told me watching this morning was a chore despite the fine acting performance.
I didn’t necessarily think it was depressing per se, but it was pretty slow, dull and just kind of “meh”. And I’ve seen it twice now.

Thoroughly average in my opinion. I just didn’t connect with it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Zhao has made 'The Grapes of Wrath' without the wrath. "The Grapes of Wrath" -- now there's a movie.
Since The Grapes Of Wrath is one of the most shameless pieces of twaddle I've ever seen, it sounds like I'm going to love Nomadland. The blu ray arrived in yesterday's mail and I'll get to it in the next couple of days.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Very well-made movie, but yeah, I wanted to slit my wrists after having watched it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PMF

Mark VH

Second Unit
“No good movie is depressing. All bad ones are.” - Roger Ebert

P.S. - Nomadland is hopeful through and through. Not a downer by any means.

P.P.S - McDormand’s character in the movie is not “forced to endure” anything. The movie makes it clear that this is the life she chooses to live.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
It's a very American movie in the sense that it's about the need to move on that pushed the pioneers to uproot themselves and travel to unknown places. Hardship and camaraderie is part of their lives. I think of a wagon train pushing West. And their lives go on exactly as they wish to live them. Nothing depressing or hopeless about the feeling of freedom.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since The Grapes Of Wrath is one of the most shameless pieces of twaddle I've ever seen, it sounds like I'm going to love Nomadland. The blu ray arrived in yesterday's mail and I'll get to it in the next couple of days.
One of my favorite movies of all-time, but it doesn't bother me one bit that you hate it as I'm sure there are some movies you love that I despised.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks