What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's a very American movie in the sense that it's about the need to move on that pushed the pioneers to uproot themselves and travel to unknown places. Hardship and camaraderie is part of their lives. I think of a wagon train pushing West. And their lives go on exactly as they wish to live them. Nothing depressing or hopeless about the feeling of freedom.
One day, I'll try to watch it on Amazon Prime or Hulu as I can't remember which service has it. However, I know I'll have to be in a certain mood to do so.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Make no mistakes here, Nomadland is a true collaboration and it is one of sublime perfection. Together, Ms. Zhao and Ms. McDormand have produced an organic, seamless and symbiotic work; to which I hope this teaming will visit us, again.

It’s a Hell of a film. It is of quiet contemporary poetics and earthy understatement. It is resonating. And it is also a work most keenly astute.

I can not find an argument for those who find it depressing; yet neither, consequently, could I argue with those who only sees its hope.

Indeed, one of the beautiful aspects of Nomadland is how it can park itself very near to where you live; be it an address that is old, current or somewhere down the road.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Francis McNomad. That’s how I see it. Both the actress and the filmmaker are as one.

It’s a Hell of a film.

I can not find an argument for those who find it depressing; yet neither, consequently, could I argue with those who also see its hope.

To argue either may just be in and out of sane.

We’ve traveled down both these roads, even though the highway seems very much the same.
TBH, the main reason why I'm going to watch this movie is because of Frances McDormand as she's one of my favorite actresses over the last 35 or so years.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
One day, I'll try to watch it on Amazon Prime or Hulu as I can't remember which service has it. However, I know I'll have to be in a certain mood to do so.
It’s on Hulu. However only in HD and stereo. On iTunes it’s 4K/HDR 5.1.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Frances McDormand has come a long way since "Blood Simple", but she was great in that too, so I guess some things never change.

Nomadland is a wonderful movie. Sure it was sad, but also beautiful. I'm really glad I watched it.

Reactions: PMF

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It's a very American movie in the sense that it's about the need to move on that pushed the pioneers to uproot themselves and travel to unknown places. Hardship and camaraderie is part of their lives. I think of a wagon train pushing West. And their lives go on exactly as they wish to live them. Nothing depressing or hopeless about the feeling of freedom.

If you got that "Nomadland" was about "the feeling of freedom"... well, I disagree.

Fern isn't a woman in search of "freedom" - she's a woman trying to escape her past who's afraid of deeper connections. She doesn't seem to really enjoy her nomadic lifestyle - she just doesn't want to establish any real interpersonal relationships because she doesn't want to get hurt again.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I saw it back when it first came available, and I guess this argument over whether it's depressing or not, and whether it's about homelessness or not doesn't surprise me. Because the movie isn't that simplistic. What I thought it was going to be about at the beginning isn't what it ended up being about. I don't want to get into spoilers, so actually watch the movie and see where it goes. It is extremely minimalist storytelling.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I saw it back when it first came available, and I guess this argument over whether it's depressing or not, and whether it's about homelessness or not doesn't surprise me. Because the movie isn't that simplistic. What I thought it was going to be about at the beginning isn't what it ended up being about. I don't want to get into spoilers, so actually watch the movie and see where it goes. It is extremely minimalist storytelling.

I don't see how it's about homelessness because the lead is "homeless" by choice.

And as I think someone mentioned, she has a "home" in her vehicle. She's not on the streets in the "no shelter" manner...

sfyalek

Agent
Real Name
Yalek
One of the best films of 2020, a year that after viewing those in competition could easily lead one (as noted by a late night TV host) to take a bath with a toaster.

I don't recall a year with more depressing productions, but it was 2020.

It's been released by Searchlight - is this the first under Disney?

Meticulously acted and directed, and gorgeously photographed by Joshua Richards, it's a film worth viewing as long as depression isn't setting in.

I believe it just won some Union Station awards.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH
Searchlight have 4 best movies nomination in this past decade and the first win. They are the Disney's Independent movie branch.

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Searchlight have won 4 best movies in this past decade. They are the Disney's Independent movie branch.

They are now, but they were Fox until recently so Nomadland is likely the first Award Winner sicne Disney now has the rights to the label. I'm not sure if Nomadland is the first Disney/Searchlight disc, but that could be Jojo Rabbit. I'm not sure of the exact date where SL became Disney

sfyalek

Agent
Real Name
Yalek
I haven’t seen this movie, but friends of mine who have seen it, told me watching this morning was a chore despite the fine acting performance.
Everyone has different takes on movies. I was skeptical about this movie before i saw it in the theater. It is a great movie. It is a love letter to humanity and America.

Zhao effortlessly introduced us what is Nomadic life style in the first 1/3 of the movie. Fern was the observer in most of the movie until the final 1/3 of the movie. The director used a lot America landscapes as the backgrounds as part of the story. Most of the People take Nomadic lifestyle starts as healing but the America landscapes attract these people to stay in that lifestyle. these people have no different for people driving a RV to see America. The only difference is that the van is their home.

David started the Nomadic lifestyle as an escape. He found his home again when his family bought the love to him. It is the"home" to draw him back to under a roof. When Fern arrived David's son's home, the director used a few seconds as the view from Fern. That was a house for her. She lost her home when her husband died. That was why she took on the Nomad life.

Fern emphasized that she was "house-less", not homeless. It gave a chance to review the definition of home, a place we find comfort, safe and warm.

In the final 1/3 of the movie, the director finally introduced us who Fern was. The director used very simple few sentences through Fern's sister, her closest ally, to tell us the reasons behind her choice. In our modern society, we are valued based on the size of our house, the price of the cars we drive or how many vacations we take. All of these are just simulations and only friends and family give us a real "home".

In the movie, there are also a few Easter eggs.

Frances McDormand used her real last name once in the movie.

The poem she asked the girl to read is the first poem Frances read inter high school.

The patterns of the plates in the movie have the same patterns Frances father gave her in the real life.

The houseDavid lived in the movie is the first house Frances McDormand grew up.

Frances McDormand definitely injected a lot of her personal emotion into this movie and shared them to the world. What is a "Home".

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Everyone has different takes on movies. I was skeptical about this movie before i saw it in the theater. It is a great movie. It is a love letter to humanity and America.

Zhao effortlessly introduced us what is Nomadic life style in the first 1/3 of the movie. Fern was the observer in most of the movie until the final 1/3 of the movie. The director used a lot America landscapes as the backgrounds as part of the story. Most of the People take Nomadic lifestyle starts as healing but the America landscapes attract these people to stay in that lifestyle. these people have no different for people driving a RV to see America. The only difference is that the van is their home.

David started the Nomadic lifestyle as an escape. He found his home again when his family bought the love to him. It is the"home" to draw him back to under a roof. When Fern arrived David's son's home, the director used a few seconds as the view from Fern. That was a house for her. She lost her home when her husband died. That was why she took on the Nomad life.

Fern emphasized that she was "house-less", not homeless. It gave a chance to review the definition of home, a place we find comfort, safe and warm.

In the final 1/3 of the movie, the director finally introduced us who Fern was. The director used very simple few sentences through Fern's sister, her closest ally, to tell us the reasons behind her choice. In our modern society, we are valued based on the size of our house, the price of the cars we drive or how many vacations we take. All of these are just simulations and only friends and family give us a real "home".

In the movie, there are also a few Easter eggs.

Frances McDormand used her real last name once in the movie.

The poem she asked the girl to read is the first poem Frances read inter high school.

The patterns of the plates in the movie have the same patterns Frances father gave her in the real life.

The houseDavid lived in the movie is the first house Frances McDormand grew up.

Frances McDormand definitely injected a lot of her personal emotion into this movie and shared them to the world. What is a "Home".
Many friends have been inspired by the film and yearn for the time when they retire, buy a camper, travel and live the nomadic life.

Reactions: PMF

Richard M S

Screenwriter
It's a glorious film and I was especially happy with the Oscar win of Frances Mcdormand. It was her talent and charisma (and behind the scenes expertise) that made the movie into the Oscar winner it became.

While I found it at times miserable, I did not find Nomadland depressing. The film has issues for sure - the "niceness" bothered me too, as did the potentially softened portrayal of her seasonal workplace - but somehow it all came together. I am buying the bluray to watch it again soon.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
They are now, but they were Fox until recently so Nomadland is likely the first Award Winner sicne Disney now has the rights to the label. I'm not sure if Nomadland is the first Disney/Searchlight disc, but that could be Jojo Rabbit. I'm not sure of the exact date where SL became Disney
Jojo Rabbit was released under the 20th Century Fox label, so yes, Nomadland is the first Searchlight film under Disney.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
My wife correctly pointed out that the main character chose her lifestyle. She didn't want to be stuck in one place with possessions like she had for decades with her husband. Now, many of the other characters were destitute and possibly would have chosen a more settled life if they had the chance.

We watched it on Hulu. It was shot using natural lighting, so many scenes were very dim. I wonder if the BD helped illuminate them somewhat?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My wife correctly pointed out that the main character chose her lifestyle. She didn't want to be stuck in one place with possessions like she had for decades with her husband.

I still think it's a mistake to believe that the lead chose the lifestyle for freedom/minimalist reasons...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks