What's new

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Nomadland felt to me like a flat documentary without any dramatic arc. No conflict, no rising and falling action, no extraordinary denouement. I wasn't bored because the images were strong but, as soon as it was over, I felt empty enough that I wanted to watch something else, anything.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
One day, I'll try to watch it on Amazon Prime or Hulu as I can't remember which service has it. However, I know I'll have to be in a certain mood to do so.
I'll be the contrarian and say that I pretty much hated every minute of it. I thought it was not well directed (I stopped counting the sun just disappearing shots after about fourteen) - the actors were fine, but I was just so bored of all the staring off into space shots. I know I'm a voice in the wind on this one, but someone has to be.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Nomadland felt to me like a flat documentary without any dramatic arc. No conflict, no rising and falling action, no extraordinary denouement. I wasn't bored because the images were strong but, as soon as it was over, I felt empty enough that I wanted to watch something else, anything.

I think there's a dramatic arc, as the movie shows Fern's potential re-engagement with society.

Using spoilers so I don't get yelled at:

She's a complete loner at the start, but the movie depicts how she allows herself to get (semi) close to David and she also reconnects with her family.

Does she wind up anywhere different at the end than at the beginning? Perhaps not, but that's fine as well, and the movie leaves open the possibility she'll eventually reconsider her choices.

For me, the idea of whether or not she would abandon her disengagement with society was a definite "dramatic arc". No, I wasn't on the edge of my seat, but the question of whether or not she'd let down her walls and allow herself a personal relationship again...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I watched (Streamed) Nomadland this weekend to remove the unpleasant aftertaste of Without Remorse. Went in with minimal preconceptions, other than a) Frances McDormand is a treasure and b) if the People's Republic of China doesn't like Chloe Zhao, then I like her tremendously.

And I found the film wonderful. The discussion about whether it was inherently depressing or hopeful is an interesting one, reflective of the viewer more than the film itself. I found it deeply personal, and the filmmaking on display reminiscent of older Malick films (which I mean as a complement). I think the film makes it clear, more than once, that Fern is choosing this life, albeit for complex reasons. What she says, what her sister says, what her friends say (and her observations). I admired and appreciated this look at life on the other side of my middle class experiences, the good, the odd, the challenging, and the sublime.

McDormand deserves all accolades, and I equally felt Zhao's camerawork and structure really served the film well. It is a measured pace, without much in the way of traditional movie highs and lows, but I think such a format served the subjects very well.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
NOT a depressing film. It's got some darkish moments but I wouldn't remotely call it depressing.

It deserved its Oscars and everyone that considers themselves a film buff should see this film.

But, if I was in charge, I would have still given Best Picture to 'Soul'.

Mark

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
This film is sure hard to find and purchase. Anyone else notice this? Over $40 on Amazon.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not that hard as long as you avoid Amazon --leverage various FS arrangements and/or no sales tax and it's half of Amazon

Backordered at BBY and DD though

DisneyMovieClub $22 or as low as $9 with the current B1G40-60% off the rest of your order

Assuming you aren't a DMC member -- Bullmoose $22 +4 shipping is the best instock price. Free Shipping at $35, no sales tax outside Maine. A small Gift Card works fine to get FS if you can't find a second item. Just use the GC with the next order.

Last edited:

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I asked Deep Discount when they would have this in stock, and, instead of answering, they cancelled my order and refunded my payment.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Now in stock at BBY, DD, Walmart, Target, importcds, Bullmoose, yesasia, wowhd, fye, amoeba, and oldies.com, . Apparently only Amazon has decided to avoid the title.

If I didn't know better, I'd wonder if Amazon is making a political statement since there are plenty of Amazon Workers who actually have the lifestyle portrayed in the movie.

Last edited:

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Thanks. I have ordered from Best Buy. We'll see how long it takes
to ship or cancel. Beginning to wonder if we'll ever actually see
this film. Best Film of the Year Oscar and no brick and mortar
store keeps it in stock. Must be a reason besides Covid. ???

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For anyone interested, iTunes has the 4K streaming version of Nomadland on sale today for $9.99.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I haven’t seen this movie, but friends of mine who have seen it, told me watching this morning was a chore despite the fine acting performance.
TBH, the main reason why I'm going to watch this movie is because of Frances McDormand as she's one of my favorite actresses over the last 35 or so years.
Okay, I finally watched "Nomadland". It's a good film that isn't really depressing, but it has its sad moments with a fine performance by McDormand. However, I don't think this film nor McDormand deserved the Oscars they won. I thought "Minari" was a better film and that Viola Davis gave a better acting performance.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since The Grapes Of Wrath is one of the most shameless pieces of twaddle I've ever seen, it sounds like I'm going to love Nomadland. The blu ray arrived in yesterday's mail and I'll get to it in the next couple of days.
IMO, "Nomadland" is a good film while "The Grapes of Wrath" is a great film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks