What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
How about Franco Nero and Vanessa Redgrave in Camelot? They were so wrong for the parts.
Another Moss Hart success that should had been committed to film, once again, by George Cukor.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Franco Nero was dubbed, but being so handsome helps him as Lancelot.
Redgrave was no singer, but her acting compensated for that shortcoming. Her singing should have been dubbed.
Logan, at the time of Camelot and Paint Your Wagon, didn't want singers. Inexplicably.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Is anybody watching the MFL 4k on a LG TV? Are you having any sound problems? For some reason my LG tv will not play the soundtrack of this film correctly in either its bluray or 4k version. I thought I was going nuts. When I had it on bluray it played beautifully on my Sony. Then I got a larger LG tv and the sound had problems. I got another disc. The same problem. Now the 4k has sound problems. I was too embarrassed to bring it up. I thought there was something wrong with me. Now I read on Amazon a guy complaining about the sound of this 4k on his LG TV. He then put it on his Sony and it played beautifully. By the way all my other discs play fine. What in the world is going on with LG and My Fair Lady? Why does LG not like this movie? And I'm stuck.
I know too bizarre to be believed. But it's true.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Redgrave was no singer, but her acting compensated for that shortcoming. Her singing should have been dubbed.
Logan, at the time of Camelot and Paint Your Wagon, didn't want singers. Inexplicably.
At this point, Logan was far removed from his best work as a film director. Camelot has gorgeous Alfred Newman musical direction, a good leading man who could handle the songs assigned to him, a physical production that's impressive, and that's about it. A leading lady whose attempts at acting songs written for the soaring musical talents of Julie Andrews falls like a thud with me, and I think Franco Nero's dubbing was subpar, too. But again, after years of hearing the glorious baritone of Robert Goulet for those songs, just about anybody else then would have been a disappointment for me.

It's a favorite show music album, but I almost never play the movie or its soundtrack recording.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The voice used was unimpressive, they should have done better. I remember reading he didn’t speak English back then and was acting phonetically. Redgrave has no business in that roll. Was Julie Andrews not available then? She was a movie star by then, wasn’t she?

Camelot is a marvelous example of Hollywood screwing up a musical real bad, IMHO.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Is anybody watching the MFL 4k on a LG TV? Are you having any sound problems? For some reason my LG tv will not play the soundtrack of this film correctly in either its bluray or 4k version. I thought I was going nuts. When I had it on bluray it played beautifully on my Sony. Then I got a larger LG tv and the sound had problems. I got another disc. The same problem. Now the 4k has sound problems. I was too embarrassed to bring it up. I thought there was something wrong with me. Now I read on Amazon a guy complaining about the sound of this 4k on his LG TV. He then put it on his Sony and it played beautifully. By the way all my other discs play fine. What in the world is going on with LG and My Fair Lady? Why does LG not like this movie? And I'm stuck.
I know too bizarre to be believed. But it's true.

This is one of the rare soundtracks mastered at 96hz - it's possible your LG can't decode it.
Try switching the sound output on your HDMI from bitstream to PCM and let the player decode it internally .

Last edited:

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
Russ Tamblyn and Richard Beymer are friends. Tamblyn has publicly agreed with Richard's opinion that he was misdirected by Wise and Robbins. That is something entirely different. A journalist who interviewed Moreno several years ago said she is obsessed with Wood, and became rage-full when he brought her up in conversation. And that interview was more than 40 years after the films release.
The voice used was unimpressive, they should have done better. I remember reading he didn’t speak English back then and was acting phonetically. Redgrave has no business in that roll. Was Julie Andrews not available then? She was a movie star by then, wasn’t she?

Camelot is a marvelous example of Hollywood screwing up a musical real bad, IMHO.
Julie Andrews was approached to play Guenevere in the film version, but turned the part down.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
This is one of the rare soundtracks mastered at 96hz - it's possible your LG can't decode it.
Try switching the sound output on your HDMI from bitstream to PCM and let the player decode it internally .
Thank you. I'll try to do this. Maybe if I can't figure out how to do it myself I can call LG.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
You were friends with John Truscott?!!! I love his work.
John (who won two Oscars) was one of those rare people filled with love for everyone around him. And, though this sounds like a tall story, animals of all kinds loved him .. he was a magnet for domestic and wild bush animals.
I was working in Sydney for The Australian Opera some years back now when John, who knew I travelled regularly to my old home-town for work, asked when I'd next be in Melbourne. Two weeks later we were sitting in a Southbank restaurant for lunch, chatting about everything under the sun. John said he had had an impulse to catch up with his best friends.
It was a great occasion. Two weeks later he died suddenly.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I also Admired John Truscott's work and back in 1980 I was in a position to offer him an art direction role for a major theme park project in Florida. John was intrigued with something that could even test his past accomplishments, but was more excited about taking a commission in Melbourne to design an opera house and first several seasons of its productions.
Australia was his home and he seemed eager to return. To this day I find the art direction in Camelot to have been almost revolutionary...going a long way to defining the look of the flower children who came of age in the late 60's. Like it or hate it, Camelot's design was in no way derivative. I feel very lucky to have Arthur's "Owl Arm Chair" from his study next to my fireplace.
For those of you who are Truscott fans, today June 8, over 100 rough sketches of the decor in Camelot were up for auction at Bonhams in LA. I went for a look on Saturday and it was fascinating how economically drawn these artistic pieces were conceived on scraps of newsprint and notebook paper.
As a postscript, about 10 year ago I found myself in Melbourne and spent a day trying to trace down the theater complex John left the US to design. After an unsuccessful search, I noticed a sign for a production of Camelot that was ending that very night. I decided to go as a consolation prize, and when I reached the theater, the exterior design was most striking with a swirl of a spire covered with sparkling lights. Once inside I purchased the program and asked the vendor if she had ever heard of John Truscott. She immediately lit up and said that this production of Camelot was in honor of John who had become a virtual patron saint for Melbourne arts programs. In fact the theater I had just entered was the one John had designed many years before! She flipped the program to the back to show me the feature article dedicated to John's memory (he passed in the year before this staging of Camelot). The people in the seats next to me probably thought I was crazy when I tried to tell them how magic my search had just become. Then the Camelot Overture began, and I knew the quest could not have been better rewarded unless John had still been there in person.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
How fanastic. A great end to your quest. John's personal friendship with so many artists is why the foyers of the Victorian Arts Centre are home to their great art works. Some people thought his foyer and theatre interior designs were just a tad over the top. Now almost everyone realises they're a sensational legacy he left us.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Julie Andrews was approached to play Guenevere in the film version, but turned the part down.

The story I heard over the years, one I think I heard right here on HTF, is that Richard Burton would only do it if Elizabeth Taylor played Guinevere and that Andrews would not do the film if Richard Harris was in it as they apparently didn't get along on the set of Hawaii. She did Thoroughly Modern Millie for Universal instead, for which Carol Channing was Oscar-nominated and she wasn't.

Meanwhile, Audrey Hepburn did receive another Oscar nomination for another Warner Bros. film that same year: Wait Until Dark. On the other side of Burbank, Gladys Cooper, the only actress from My Fair Lady to actually receive an Oscar nomination for the non-singing role of Mrs. Higgins, got to sing one of the best songs in Walt Disney's all-live-action musical swan song The Happiest Millionaire, "There Are Those," with future Oscar-winner Geraldine Page.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
The story I heard over the years, one I think I heard right here on HTF, is that Richard Burton would only do it if Elizabeth Taylor played Guinevere and that Andrews would not do the film if Richard Harris was in it as they apparently didn't get along on the set of Hawaii. She did Thoroughly Modern Millie for Universal instead, for which Carol Channing was Oscar-nominated and she wasn't.

Meanwhile, Audrey Hepburn did receive another Oscar nomination for another Warner Bros. film that same year: Wait Until Dark. On the other side of Burbank, Gladys Cooper, the only actress from My Fair Lady to actually receive an Oscar nomination for the non-singing role of Mrs. Higgins, got to sing one of the best songs in Walt Disney's all-live-action musical swan song The Happiest Millionaire, "There Are Those," with future Oscar-winner Geraldine Page.
Burton turned CAMELOT down to work with Liz on two films she was signed to do, THE TAMING OF THE SHREW and THE COMEDIANS. Julie turned down record salary and director approval, when Burton declined. While the film would have benefited by their presence, it is abysmally directed by Joshua Logan. Although, it is likely that Logan would not have been the director if Julie had accepted Warner's offer to star in it.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Isn't Grease the most financially successful film musical even adjusting for inflation? And is The Wizard of Oz even as beloved as TSOM and Grease as it once was when its annual showing were national events?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks