What's new

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
There was a time when Grease beat SOM. I remember years ago somebody asking Julie Andrews how she felt about Grease being more successful financially than the sound of music and she said well things change. I am glad that that is no longer the case. Though I am surprised that movies like Titanic and Avatar are not higher.
I don't believe my fair lady was the success that Jack Warner thought it would be. I think he thought that it was going to be a blockbuster close to the level of The Sound of Music. On release it had a less than 2 year run including roadshow and general release engagements. The Sound of Music had a four year run.
Yes, lots of films beat TSOM, but unadjusted, which doesn't really count. TSOM had an initial release that lasted 4 1/2 years, Jack Warner claimed that MFL would be the biggest money maker of all time, but it wasn't even the biggest moneymaker of 1964 releases. That was MARY POPPINS, which in addition to making more money, cost less than MFL. Still, by anyone's measure MFL was a big hit.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
WB delivered c. 200 cartons of elements to CBS in 1971. About a third of those were junked, as unnecessary. Not an unusual occurrence for the era.
One wonders what could possibly be in those 67 or so boxes: M&E tracks, a clean copy of of the opening titles, or a textless copy of the background images for the opening titles... the mind reels, and it's probably best not to dwell on such things.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One wonders what could possibly be in those 67 or so boxes: M&E tracks, a clean copy of of the opening titles, or a textless copy of the background images for the opening titles... the mind reels, and it's probably best not to dwell on such things.
There is an inventory.

Reactions: PMF

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The Disney Channel actually aired My Fair Lady before and after its restoration. The first airing was Christmas 1986, around the same time Audrey Hepburn did a TV movie and Rex Harrison did a mini-series. Many cast members actually worked for Disney; in addition to Gladys Cooper's aforementioned role in a Sherman brothers musical (where she shared credit on-screen with Hermione Baddeley), Wilfrid Hyde-White had already been in In Search of the Castaways first while Laurie Main, the uncredited Australian-born actor who asked Higgins "where do I come from?" at Covent Garden was the photography teacher in 1976's Freaky Friday and hosted TDC's Welcome to Pooh Corner.

I know they aired it again around Halloween 1989 and the restoration aired around Valentine's Day 1995 at least partly in widescreen.

disneychannelmagazine_198612_p4.png
disneychannelmagazine_198612_p28.png

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I wanted to highly recommend a youtube video of an interview with Pete Menefee(which was recommended on a theater site) called Pete Menefee-A Dancer's Life done by Rusty Frank. As a young dancer he appeared in the films of BBB, Mary Poppins and MFL as well as a number of Elvis films. His anecdotes of Poppins and Lady are especially interesting. When Andrews heard he was leaving Poppins for Lady because he had a contract to do it even before he was hired for Poppins her reaction turned his blood cold. Somebody also played a very very mean trick on Hepburn during Lady rehearsals but unfortunately he doesn't explain why or how it possibly could have happened.
If you like movie musicals and television variety shows of the 60s it is not to be missed. A very charming interesting guy.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
He has a vocal part in BBB as Harvey Johnson. He does say IMDB is woefully lacking and he's trying to get them to update it without success.

By the way does anyone know the names of the actors of Doolittle's two cronies? The tall and the short one? It's hard to tell from IMDB.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I can only relate from personal experience the amount of frustration, angst and wasted time, attempting to get my own credits straightened out. I’ve given up, as some important projects which once appeared, are now missing.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
He has a vocal part in BBB as Harvey Johnson. He does say IMDB is woefully lacking and he's trying to get them to update it without success.

By the way does anyone know the names of the actors of Doolittle's two cronies? The tall and the short one? It's hard to tell from IMDB.
One is John Alderson

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I don't believe he got one for PYW though I think the costumes are great. Anne of Thousand Days won. Sharaff's costumes for HD were also stiff competition. He got two for Camelot.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
This is one of the rare soundtracks mastered at 96hz - it's possible your LG can't decode it.
Try switching the sound output on your HDMI from bitstream to PCM and let the player decode it internally .
I don't know how I did it because I'm not good at these kind of things but somehow I managed change the HDMI from bitstream to PCM. I don't even know what these things are. But it worked! Now I can listen to it blissfully without problems and I think the sound is even better.
Thank you very much Rob W!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I noted, while reading the review of this excellent disc in Widescreen Review, that: "The full restoration of this classic film.... is credited to long-time Widescreen Review friend and Film Historian/Preservationist Robert A. Harris". It was nice to know that Mr Harris is a friend of this magazine, published by a dedicated enthusiast for almost 30 years. They have been struggling to keep afloat for years - as all print media have.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
All of those elements, plus stems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks