What's new

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
When the singer is merely lip-synching to a track that was previously recorded (and edited and massaged to perfection), there's definitely a loss in spontaneity and believability. Any poetry or heightening of the situation is greatly diminished. I wouldn't call Julie's pretending to sing while a pre-recorded track plays; great acting. If it was, Audrey should be congratulated for the portions of MFL where she's lip-synching to Marni's vocals.
Actually, she's lip-synching to her own vocals. Marni came in a dubbed her later, as she did for Natalie Wood, as well. Both actresses were told she would only do some sweetening, but ended up dubbing all of Wood and almost all of Hepburn. Are you actually implying that all Julie Andrews brings to the most popular musical motion picture of all time, is a singing voice? Absurd!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Well supposedly Marni and another sang for Rita in A Boy Like That. And the dubbing for Hepburn was done poorly. Nothing to do with Audrey as she was performing to her own tracks. The musical director botched it.

And remember Streisand lip-synched her role in Funny Girl(except for half of My Man) as well and won an Oscar. If you want good clear stereo sound for voice and orchestra it is unavoidable.

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
Actually, she's lip-synching to her own vocals. Marni came in a dubbed her later, as she did for Natalie Wood, as well. Both actresses were told she would only do some sweetening, but ended up dubbing all of Wood and almost all of Hepburn. Are you actually implying that all Julie Andrews brings to the most popular musical motion picture of all time, is a singing voice? Absurd!
"Grease" is the most popular musical motion picture of all time now.

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
Well Tamblyn has denigrated Beymer's so he shouldn't look too uncomfortable.
Russ Tamblyn and Richard Beymer are friends. Tamblyn has publicly agreed with Richard's opinion that he was misdirected by Wise and Robbins. That is something entirely different. A journalist who interviewed Moreno several years ago said she is obsessed with Wood, and became rage-full when he brought her up in conversation. And that interview was more than 40 years after the films release. But enough about 'WSS' and that irritable, unpleasant woman. This thread is about the glorious 'MFL' 4K release!

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well supposedly Marni and another sang for Rita in A Boy Like That. And the dubbing for Hepburn was done poorly. Nothing to do with Audrey as she was performing to her own tracks. The musical director botched it.

And remember Streisand lip-synched her role in Funny Girl(except for half of My Man) as well and won an Oscar. If you want good clear stereo sound for voice and orchestra it is unavoidable.
As Marni has said "all of Natalie Wood's vocals and one note for Rita Moreno" in West Side Story ...

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Audrey Hepburn knew that she would be dubbed. She wasn’t crazy about it, but she worked with Marni Nixon.
https://people.com/celebrity/my-fair-ladys-marni-nixon-audrey-hepburn-was-delightful/

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I admit in my old age I don’t stay up as long as I used to
You’re not alone.

Audrey Hepburn knew that she would be dubbed. She wasn’t crazy about it, but she worked with Marni Nixon.
https://people.com/celebrity/my-fair-ladys-marni-nixon-audrey-hepburn-was-delightful/
Perhaps I misunderstood the article, but in it Nixon says Audrey’s working class voice was all Audrey’s. Does that mean that was Audrey’s voice we hear on “Wouldn’t it be Loverly”?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You’re not alone.

Perhaps I misunderstood the article, but in it Nixon says Audrey’s working class voice was all Audrey’s. Does that mean that was Audrey’s voice we hear on “Wouldn’t it be Loverly”?
Ms Hepburn pre-recorded all of the songs, but the ones that you'll hear are made up from lines, bits, pieces and phrases, with Ms Nixon adding the finishings touches to Loverly.

I've mentioned this before, that during the many attempted takes at recording sessions, what shines through is Ms Hepburn's absolute professionalism and kindness to everyone trying to help her and makes things work.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Believe it or not I saw Mame in a packed Radio City on a Sunday afternoon after waiting for hours in line and the audience loved it. Lots of laughter and applause after the musical numbers. There were a lot of people even singing along with the title number. I have to say it was one of the best audience responses of a movie I ever attended. At least I found that entertaining.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Believe it or not I saw Mame in a packed Radio City on a Sunday afternoon after waiting for hours in line and the audience loved it. Lots of laughter and applause after the musical numbers. There were a lot of people even singing along with the title number. I have to say it was one of the best audience responses of a movie I ever attended. At least I found that entertaining.
I actually love Mame. There are even aspects/performances that I think surpass Auntie Mame (Bea Arthur and Jane Connell over the delightful Coral Browne and Peggy Cass, for instance.)

But it is still interesting how fast the studios’ attitudes toward dubbing changed in the late sixties with Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood, Lucy, Burt Reynolds and others suddenly being able to use their own voices in musical films.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
And let’s not forget Robert De Niro’s duet of “Blue Moon” with Mary Kay Place, which can be heard on the soundtrack album of “New York, New York”.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks