What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is an interesting one, which points out the absolute necessity (if one cares about reproduction quality) of a properly calibrated system.

In additon, we're still not fully out of the woods with OLED flat panels, which have changed recently, allowing for a bit more control over HDR and Dolby Vision.

While the glass for the Sony as well as the LG is all made by LG, the Sony has different electronics, leading to different results.

The most recent panels play more nicely with Dolby Vision than mine, which is a first gen. The new Sony A90J takes things into new territory, and I'll be experimenting with both MFL as well as Lawrence on that model, to see precisely how things have changed.

After viewing MFL in streaming in 4k, I had genuine concerns as to how that data would appear when pressed to a disc, and after now spending some quality time in both projection as well as via OLED, I've come away very pleased.

Whatever anomalies I was seeing in streaming - my data throughput in 900+ - did not appear on disc.

Color is accurately represented, and Dolby Vision and HDR, which seemed a bit on the heavy side, affecting the air just below black are far better via 4k disc.

But even with high data throughput, the difference between the lovely Blu-ray, and the new 4k - yes, it's four times the amount of real data - is astonishing.

As to black levels, I found it necessary to do some slight tweaking on the OLED, but eventually things fell into place. Which leads me to believe that on the A90J, things will only get better.

Setup - both of one's player as well as panel are extremely important, as black levels on this film ride the edge of a razor blade, and reached perfection due to the endeavors of Fotokem's brilliant colorist Mark Griffith, who was able to perfectly mold the desires of a slightly batty archivist into data perfection.

I'll not go into the storyline. Suffice to say that it's about two older gentlemen who take an interest in a young woman, training her to fit their needs, based upon a bet.

Audio, which was harvested from the original 1964 six-track full-coat masters (with the exception of one reel) has been captured and reproduced at 96k, which means that you're actually listening to a digital record of the studio masters.

Image is derived from 8k scans (down-razzed to 4k) from approximately 150 minutes of original 65mm negative and 21 minutes of 65mm black & white separation masters.

I defy viewers to tell the difference.

One of the finest musical motion pictures finally arrives on 4k Blu-ray, and demands to be a part of any serious cinema library, as it blows the HD Blu-ray out of the water.

Paramount's new 4k of MFL joins a tiny population of 4k UHD Blu-rays based upon files actually captured and reproduced in full 4k resolution. If anyone isn't clear regarding what that means, take a look at A24's 4k of Midsummar, captured in 8k on Panavision's new camera system.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby 7.1 TrueHD)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - No comparison

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So very glad to read this very pleasantly surprising review! A definite sigh of relief, and sounds like a must-have!

Thanks (and congrats!), RAH!

_Man_

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I was prepared for the worst, so I'm thrilled to read this. I'll now go ahead and pre-order this 4K UHD release of one of my all-time favourite films! Thank you, Mr. Harris, for your work in rescuing this film all those years ago and ensuring that it could be enjoyed by generations to come—and now in its most loverly disc incarnation yet.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
When i buy my next tv this year it will be the Sony A90J and it will be my first OLED tv. This 4K UHD disc will be the first movie i will watch on it.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Wow. I just watched the Blu-ray at Thanksgiving, and it’s gorgeous. Can’t wait to see the 4K disc.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I'll tell you what the difference is. I'm not seeing it at the Criterion. You know the guy in a tux selling the hardcover souvenir book and the ladies in their black dresses and white starched collars to help you find your seat. Then afterwards to Woolworth's for a cheese melt and milk shake.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
The experience at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood was similar. Don't remember tux or black dresses, but it was a classy experience from the moment you entered the entry walkway until you left the theater after the film.

I still have the souvenir book from that day as well as the newsletters Warner Brothers sent to fans during production of the film.

Last edited:

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I'll tell you what the difference is. I'm not seeing it at the Criterion. You know the guy in a tux selling the hardcover souvenir book and the ladies in their black dresses and white starched collars to help you find your seat. Then afterwards to Woolworth's for a cheese melt and milk shake.
No Nedicks or Tads Steaks to celebrate seeing MFL at the Criterion?

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Near the Egyptian Theater, Hollywood: No Nedicks or Tads. Magoo's though. I don't remember exactly where it was in relation to the Egyptian Theater, but I think Magoo's Pizza Parlor was down the street near Hollywood Boulevard and Ivar Streets. Perhaps some one can remember where it was. I went there once after seeing "The Fantasticks" at the Ivar Theater with Bill Bixby. Who, you ask? Bill Bixby. Unknown at the time.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Woolworth's was right next to the Criterion and they had a luncheonette counter.

Attachments

• Rb3d37029225a8549db33f0c01ca9df13.jpg
    Rb3d37029225a8549db33f0c01ca9df13.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 169

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw it at the Criterion, too. It was still playing there in the summer of 1965 when we came up for the New York Worlds Fair. I had seen it months earlier when it opened in Charlotte at the Capri (a brand new theater which My Fair Lady christened), and I bought my souvenir program there then, but I just HAD to see it in NYC. Such memories!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
To think it's almost been 30 years since the film first needed (and got) restoration work, or at least when that need became evident.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I'm sure I wrote this already but I'll write it again. I saw it at the Criterion because we were supposed to go to the World's Fair that day but it was raining when we got up in the morning. Imagine being a little boy and so excited to be going to the fair and you wake up and it's raining? Crushing. So we went to Times Square to see something I had never even heard of. Honestly I remember more about the experience of going to a roadshow film than the movie itself. Completely different than going to the local movie theater for a Saturday matinee with all the kids in jeans.

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
bluray.com just posted their review and from their screen caps it does exactly look like the 50th anniversary edition just maybe a bit brighter is all.
If you had bothered to read what they posted, they say explicitly "The included screenshots are sourced from the 50th Anniversary 1080p Blu-ray disc."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks