What's new

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Actually it only just occurred to me that I also saw MY FAIR LADY at the Criterion in the summer of '65. My first trip to the big city. My dad and I were there for the world's fair. I was 11 but honestly I do not remember much about the theater. But I loved the film and always will.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
It is a very glowing review lining up with Mr. Harris's. He's pretty ecstatic. But he only gives the film 4 and 1/2 stars. Boo!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
A case which clearly shows that 4K streams are not automatically similar to 4K UHD. There can be a substantial difference in quality, very noticeable when video is projected onto a screen > 120 inches. And it's not just about the compression/streaming quality either, but that the mastering itself can be different.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
There was a splendid THX Laserdisc box set, which I purchased in 1995. It really was state of the art then, with the new-fangled AC-3 Dolby Digital Sound! To add to the excitement, included in the wonderful box set was a 24K Gold CD of the Original Soundtrack, a clip of six frames from the 70 mm print, an illustrated diary by Cecil Beaton and a nice brochure. There was a mail-in offer for a print of the movie one-sheet - regrettably, I didn't use this opportunity. All this for $129.98 retail (10% off at Ken Crane's LaserDisc) + humongous shipping and import fees. The only thing lacking was Robert Harris personally delivering the box!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There was a splendid THX Laserdisc box set, which I purchased in 1995. It really was state of the art then, with the new-fangled AC-3 Dolby Digital Sound! To add to the excitement, included in the wonderful box set was a 24K Gold CD of the Original Soundtrack, a clip of six frames from the 70 mm print, an illustrated diary by Cecil Beaton and a nice brochure. There was a mail-in offer for a print of the movie one-sheet - regrettably, I didn't use this opportunity. All this for $129.98 retail (10% off at Ken Crane's LaserDisc) + humongous shipping and import fees. The only thing lacking was Robert Harris personally delivering the box!
That boxed set was the creation of CBS/Fox. A class act.

The six-frame clips were taken from an early 70mm answer print. Cut in my cutting room, by my assistant and her partner. Any frames that weren’t of some importance - horses’ hoofs et al - were trashed. There was an attempt to pull only the “filet” for clips.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
That boxed set was the creation of CBS/Fox. A class act.

The six-frame clips were taken from an early 70mm answer print. Cut in my cutting room, by my assistant and her partner. Any frames that weren’t of some importance - horses’ hoofs et al - were trashed. There was an attempt to pull only the “filet” for clips.
I still have it and one of my favorite LD box sets of all time. My clip of six frames shows Rex Harrison & Audrey Hepburn together.
IMG_0902.JPG
IMG_0904.JPG

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
For those of you who went to the movies in Philadelphia how was the Stanley where MFL played as a roadshow house? Everybody talks about the Boyd but never the Stanley.

Preorder on Amazon is now 19.99. I think it was originally announced at 24.99.

Last edited:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
bluray.com just posted their review and from their screen caps it does exactly look like the 50th anniversary edition just maybe a bit brighter is all.

Even if they were from the UHD BD, the HDR to SDR conversion process done for screencaps can make things look wonky. Detail and resolution maybe okay, but colors, brightness, highlights, shadows, etc. all up in the air in those matters.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram

Ah, the $100+ laserdisc boxsets from the mid 90s, hopefully a thing of the past. There's progress for you doubters!

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
For those of you who went to the movies in Philadelphia how was the Stanley where MFL played as a roadshow house? Everybody talks about the Boyd but never the Stanley.

Preorder on Amazon is now 19.99. I think it was originally announced at 24.99.
I lived in Philadelphia movie theaters. The Stanley was my favorite first-run theater. It was far more extravagant than The Boyd. I saw so many films there, including MY FAIR LADY, HALF A SIXPENCE, HAWAII, CAMELOT and FINIAN'S RAINBOW. Although, The Midtown showed more films that I really loved, like WEST SIDE STORY, MARY POPPINS, THE SOUND OF MUSIC and OLIVER! The Boyd was famous for being the Cinerama Theater. Although, I saw the roadshow of STAR! there.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I lived in Philadelphia movie theaters. The Stanley was my favorite first-run theater. It was far more extravagant than The Boyd. I saw so many films there, including MY FAIR LADY, HALF A SIXPENCE, HAWAII, CAMELOT and FINIAN'S RAINBOW. Although, The Midtown showed more films that I really loved, like WEST SIDE STORY, MARY POPPINS, THE SOUND OF MUSIC and OLIVER! The Boyd was famous for being the Cinerama Theater. Although, I saw the roadshow of STAR! there.
I guess we’ll never see Star! on blu-ray or UHD since Disney took 20th-Fox. Saw Star! at the Rivoli in NY, the premier Todd AO venue.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I guess we’ll never see Star! on blu-ray or UHD since Disney took 20th-Fox. Saw Star! at the Rivoli in NY, the premier Todd AO venue.
What Cowardice on their part ... I doubt they're in the Noël they even have the film. Perhaps when somebody does a boffo Film or Mini-Series event about the other Lawrence of that era. ;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Ah, the $100+ laserdisc boxsets from the mid 90s, hopefully a thing of the past. There's progress for you doubters!

This may come across as an odd attitude, but I miss those days!

Do I miss dropping $100+ for one movie? Nope, but because LDs were niche, it was more exciting to get them - kind of like you knew a little secret.

Obviously I loved the "DVD revolution" - since I've spent 22+ years reviewing shiny little discs, it'd be weird if I didn't - but there was a romance to LDs that DVDs lack!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks