What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Munich -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Steven Spielberg's 2005 Munich, would be an exciting military / spy drama and a fun film to watch, if only it hadn't actually occurred, which sets a very dark tone throughout the film.

Photographed in S35 on that medium formerly known as film, that look is beautifully retained in the new Blu-ray by Universal.

To those who may be unaware, the studio sends mixed messages these days, which, unless you look closely, could make it seem as though there's a almost devil may care attitude about what shows up on store shelves.

And that presumption would be incorrect.

The problem is this.

With thousands of titles in their library, it's difficult to create all those new skews without mixing in some older transfer with new ones. When someone selects a catalog title with an older transfer to review today, questions can arise about why everything isn't current.

The answer is that because of the cost of proper 4k re-mastering, color, clean-up and all of the things that go with a new product, only a limited number can be sourced annually.

That preface is a way of explaining that Munich is one of the new batch.

With an absolute appearance as cinema, even on the largest screens, it shows what can be done when need and budget meet professionalism and modern technology.

Cinematographer Janusz Kaminski's work has been beautifully harvested, and every technical function from harvest to compression and authoring has been dealt with beautifully.

Munich was nominated for a multitude of awards, inclusive of five Academy Awards, inclusive of Best Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Film Editing and Music.

This is a tense, exciting film, that's sometimes difficult to watch, but in my humble opinion is an important film to part of one's overall knowledge of cinema in our time.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

A beautiful Blu-ray

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Given the current debacle that is Best Buy's retail exclusives, I've opted to pre-order from Amazon...glad this blu-ray turned out as wonderfully rendered as it did, Robert...your recommendation is very much appreciated!!! :thumbsup:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Contains the most viscerally horrifying death scene I've ever encountered (it's the last one in the film...you know what I mean if you've seen it). All told, a very good movie. Only...I can't find it, thanks to this ridiculous Best Buy exclusive, wherein no copies are available at my local store, and online copies are backordered. I truly wish these exclusives would go away unless the company offering them actually has enough copies available for those of us who want them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Despite Best Buy's best efforts, I was finally able to find a copy of this disc and it does look great. It's an excellent presentation of an excellent movie.

Also, all the bonus features from the two DVD set are ported over to the Blu-ray.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'll be posting a proper review of this title within the week.

I've been comparing to the earlier DVD release to confirm that all the bonuses are indeed there.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Never saw Munich. And, despite the fact I consider myself to be a huge fan of Spielberg, I never gave the film a second thought.

I suppose if there isn't a killer shark or cute little aliens in the story, then I am less apt to watch it. However, really, that previous statement was a bit of a joke as I have loved Spielberg's more serious fare including The Color Purple and Schindler's List.

I think Munich and Amistad were the two films of his I never bothered to see.

That has somewhat changed as of this morning, just having viewed Munich on my large home theater screen.

Incredible film in every aspect from story, to cinematography, to direction.

I am still sitting here kicking myself for not seeing this film sooner.

And, yes, the presentation looks like film. There is plenty of grain in the picture, particularly in the last third of the film in the scenes that take place within Brooklyn.

Once again, I have the HTF membership to thank for the blind purchase. I always pick up the "buzz" on this forum and rarely am I disappointed.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The "Munich" DVD was only available in this neck of the woods as a bare-bones movie-only release, so I was very pleased that the Blu-Ray was such a substantial upgrade in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks