What's new

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Sorry my post read as an incomplete thought- I meant it’s not that great a film to warrant me buying a new machine to watch it. I certainly would purchase if it was open region Blu or 4K. I’ve purchased both The Elephant Man And The Servant 4K for those reasons in the past. Didn’t mean to disparage others who have love for this film.
No worries, we all have our favorite titles, we're all different...and that's a good thing, LOL!!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I bought a 4k player and made sure it was multi region. Yes it was more than affordable at Best Buy. It's silly to be without one if there are 4k and other region films you want to see.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
If anything, it's a bit too highly resolved, as make-up appliances tend to show through.
That horribly applied make-up appliance always looked rotten no matter what print you saw. Sad craftsmanship in a great movie.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I ordered the film off Amazon based on this thread and got a 1926 silent version. My bad of course, but where can one find the 1952 version?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I ordered the film off Amazon based on this thread and got a 1926 silent version. My bad of course, but where can one find the 1952 version?
It's being sold thru a UK source. Always be sure to read the info and not just look at the photo. This is rare but does happen on not just Amazon but on other sites as well. Sorry but how is this earlier version, let me know?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I see that the Amazon seller in question is Rarewaves. One can also order directly from rarewaves.com. I've been buying several BFI titles (among others) from them. I just got my most recent order this week. It included two Signal One releases (Rio Conchos and O. Henry's Full House; two Fox titles not otherwise on BD), and four BFI releases (Play for Today v.3, Nineteen Eighty-Four [1954 BBC version], One of Our Aircraft Is Missing [Powell/Pressberger], and The Proposition [UHD+BD]). All except Play for Today and Proposition were under $20 each; the shipping for all six titles was $5. The downside is that the shipping generally takes about 2 weeks, is often in multiple packages, and no tracking numbers. I've not had a problem with them so far.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
The downside is that the shipping generally takes about 2 weeks, is often in multiple packages, and no tracking numbers. I've not had a problem with them so far.
One of my orders never arrived. I waited a month and then contacted Rarewaves. They immediately sent out a replacement and then apparently tried to track the first shipment to see where the problem was. I’ve ordered from them numerous times and that was the only blip.

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
I just watched it right through. A great example of 1950s' Technicolor. Mr Harris gives the sound a 5, but I thought it was slightly distorted. Not worth more than 4 at most in my book but the beautiful print makes it all worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks