What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kingsman: The Secret Service -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
We were discussing this movie at lunch(more dinner...break at 6:00)...

A female co-worker goes...(rather "girl next door" cute)

"Not that I'll go into specifics...but...it would have taken a lot less than 'saving the world'..."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
schan1269 said:
We were discussing this movie at lunch(more dinner...break at 6:00)...

A female co-worker goes...(rather "girl next door" cute)

"Not that I'll go into specifics...but...it would have taken a lot less than 'saving the world'..."

My kind of girl :D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ronald Epstein said:
My kind of girl :D
Conversations she and I have have people wondering how we don't have sit-downs with HR.

She cut her hair off two weeks ago(was between the shoulder blades)...

So I quipped...

"So, your husband has to palm your head now?"

(we were having a discussion once over the benefits of men with large hands/fingers...)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Schan, I am laughing. However, I think you and I need to bring down the tone in direction we are heading. ;)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Robert Harris said:
I missed Matthew Vaughn's Kingsman, when it arrived theatrically in February. My schedule, combined with some less than stellar opinions about the concept, the film, and its unrestrained violence had me place it on the back burner.

Big mistake.

My son asked if I was getting the Blu-ray, and suggested that I take a look. I suppose it's because he knows that I'm appreciative of bespoke English clothing and pugs.

So I gave it a try.

And what I've come away with from the 129 minutes viewing the film, is that it's probably the most entertaining modern film that I've seen in ages.

If you know your cinema, and appreciate its history, you'll find that everything comes together in an orgy of intelligent filmmaking.

Think of it this way.

Combine Pygmalion, or My Fair Lady mit out music, with a large dose of Peckinpah at his best -- let's say c. 1967 -- a wonderful dose of Mr. Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove...

and combine it with the best of Bond. Not the new ones -- those multi-hundred million dollar bloated affairs, but rather the real Bonds. Think the best of Mr. Connery, possibly Goldfinger or From Russia.

Imagine Colin Firth as that Bond, as a part of a true secret service, with all of the funding...

and those toys at their disposal.

For those who were offended by the uber-violence of the Kentucky church sequence, I fear they were not in on the joke, or possibly lacked the ability to communicate with their true inner Peckinpah.

To me, Kingsman: The Secret Service, is a 129 love poem to the best of cinema's spy movies, combined with the best of political thrillers, all put together for consummate fun and entertainment.

As a Blu-ray, Fox's presentation is perfect. It should be, as its derived from Alexa data files. Audio is huge 7.1.

If you love the real Bond films, and others I've discussed above, along with a good dose of entertainment from the minds who brought you Kick-Ass, Kingsman is for you.

Taron Egerton is a wonderful Eliza.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

Superb entertainment value. For those who also missed this film in theaters, the Blu-ray can be yours for about the same price as a movie ticket. And you can share it with a friend.

Note: I attempted to write this piece with an affected speech impediment, but it didn't work.

RAH
You're right. I initially didn't want to see this film because the trailer made it seem as stupid as the last K. Reeves film. After I read some good reviews, I went to see it. It's really outstanding.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
And I neglected to give a tip of the bowler to The AVENGERS. John Steed would have never dreamed of the gadgets that the Kingsman's armorers incorporated into his trusty umbrella!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Raul Marquez said:
Ron, off subject here, but did you see my private msg from 2 days ago?

Raul

Don't see any message from you there.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
We went to see this last February.

Truly laugh out loud moments, cringe-worthy ones(or one) as well, thoroughly un-PC(refreshing), no-holes-barred violence, great fight scenes, cool understated gadgets.

Totally over the top in a Saville Row suit.

IOW, Kingsman has it all.

During the credits I had to wonder out loud how in the hell did this film ever get green-lighted?!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Just received the BD. Missed the cinema like others did.

Going to have a nice weekend.

Cees

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Richard Gallagher said:
Amazon has dropped the price to $12.49. I don't know if that it today only.
It's been that price since last Sunday. Amazon is price-matching Target which has it on sale this week.

P

Patrick Donahue

Robert Harris said:
We all need to have a Breton on our wrists now....
Bremont. Considering I'd rather have one of those rather than the latest 4K projector, I'm probably in the wrong forum :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Cees Alons said:
Just received the BD. Missed the cinema like others did.

Going to have a nice weekend.

Cees

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Fantastic.

It's that kind of movie!

Cees

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
My copy arrived today. Sadly, it will be some time before I can devote the proper time and attention to it (uninterrupted time with the HT playing as loudly as I want). But I'm quite looking for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks