What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Joe -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Avildsen's Joe, released in 1970, and giving a start to a young Susan Sarandon, is a very low-budget production, about a couple of dudes with a grudge against drug-using hippies.

Mr. Avildsen, probably best known for Rocky, also acted as cinematographer.

The image on Olive's disc is decidedly okay, and based upon the film's tiny budget is about as much as one might expect. We receive what was there is 1970, and that's fine.

Same with the track, which at times, seems out of control with the balance of its various attributes, and never of high quality. It's serviceable.

Does the film hold up today?

Not certain about that, for as a production, it looks like the ultra-low-budget exploitation film that it is.

That noted, Peter Boyle, comes off well as the film's lead - a guy whom you'd probably not wish to invite home to share dinner with your family.

Image - 4

Audio - 3

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Sure

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I saw this film when it first came out. It certainly held my attention but I've never seen it since, not even on television. I must admit I don't think I noticed any problems with sound and images when I saw the film.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
I saw this film when it first came out. It certainly held my attention but I've never seen it since, not even on television. I must admit I don't think I noticed any problems with sound and images when I saw the film.

Same with me, although I do have a vague recollection of it looking rough and grainy, but IMO, that added to the realism and grittiness of the film. But we wanted films to look like that back then like "Five Easy Pieces", "Husbands" and "Where's Poppa", all made the same year, because it was 'anti-Hollywood'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks