What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jaws -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/30#post_3956831
RAH, that's fascinating that they made a dye transfer print of that film, since 1974 is traditionally claimed to be when American films ceased to be released in dye transfer. What were the circumstances that prompted Technicolor London to make such a print?
No special circumstances. Dye transfer prints were made in London into 1977.

RAH

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Wasn't there a discussion about a dye transfer print of the theatrical cut of Star Wars on HTF last year? I thought the screening of that which was talked about was of such a print.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
And, true to form, as the five-star reviews begin to appear, and screen caps begin to appear, the usual suspects come out in force - yes, they see EE and DNR - not as bad as usual, though. They subvert Mr. Harris' words, it's just, well, silly? One of them even admits he's not only looking and judging screen caps, he's ENLARGING them, blowing them UP.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
I'm anxious to get this one, too. I was also there on opening day (and count me among those who immediately recognized a clumsy edit, or rather, necessary limited patchwork, in that "This is what happens..." autopsy scene. "What?" is what happens, I thought, but there was no real follow up). The audience was so keyed up before the credits rolled because of those effective trailers and the very good critical reviews that just about anything would have triggered a big reaction. However, the best part was this one actually delivered quite a bit more than just about anything and delivered it clear to the very end. All of our pre-screening excitement and anticipation was fully validated and justified, a rare and satisfying movie treat.
I would put PSYCHO, THE EXORCIST, and JAWS at the top as the three most memorable audience participation shocker movies of my lifetime in terms of shrieks and air-lifts. I wasn't around for those KING KONG and FRANKENSTEIN initial releases. But from what I've read they might have compared or surpassed my top three for all time audience reactions in that respect, don't know.
Interesting that two of those huge audience participation shockers changed forever the way we approach the theatrical movie-going experience. Since PSYCHO, it has been unthinkable to routinely show up in the middle of a move assuming we wouldn't lose much from the experience spending time trying to figure out what we'd missed. And, of course, JAWS ushered in the must-see opening weekend wide-release blockbuster. I suppose you could say THE EXORCIST provided an assist to the JAWS must-see opening weekend wide-release revolution in that it was the one two years earlier that everyone had to see, stood in line for hours to see, but for weeks if not months could only see in limited release at exclusive run downtown theaters. That first opening weekend wide-release for JAWS answered the call for many to stop the exclusive run agony and just give it to all of us, even in the multiplexes and smaller houses in the suburbs, on day one. And we most certainly did show up in droves to thank them for it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/30#post_3956853
And, true to form, as the five-star reviews begin to appear, and screen caps begin to appear, the usual suspects come out in force - yes, they see EE and DNR - not as bad as usual, though. They subvert Mr. Harris' words, it's just, well, silly? One of them even admits he's not only looking and judging screen caps, he's ENLARGING them, blowing them UP.
It is true.

People are better than anybody.

RAH

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/30#post_3956853

The screencaps look pretty good to me, perhaps some of your "usual suspects" and i suspect i am on your list, should be given more credit, it looks fine to me from the screencaps. A possible exception being the night scene at the beginning of the film but i'll wait till i have seen it before jumping to conclusions. Of course i do understand how this particular film was shot and therefore can judge the screencaps better.

Universal only have themselves to blame on all this because they have stated in interviews they see grain reduction and sharpening to be a routine process for their Blu ray releases, that statement was made back when Gladiator was re-released and they said as per directors request they were not applying their usual standards to the release and they explained what that meant, even now despite what Mr Harris has said i still have some doubts over this release, that's only because Universal are involved in it, the screencaps look okay, i think some minor grain reduction has been applied but thankfully i don't see the usual EE and that is a huge bonus for a Universal release.

I will refer my full judgment until i have viewed the film in full.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
haineshisway said:
One of them even admits he's not only looking and judging screen caps, he's ENLARGING them, blowing them UP.
:confused:
Why would that not be the best way to critically look at them, were one to do so?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
FoxyMulder said:
The screencaps look pretty good to me, perhaps some of your "usual suspects" and i suspect i am on your list, should be given more credit, it looks fine to me from the screencaps.  A possible exception being the night scene at the beginning of the film but i'll wait till i have seen it before jumping to conclusions.  Of course i do understand how this particular film was shot and therefore can judge the screencaps better.
Universal only have themselves to blame on all this because they have stated in interviews they see grain reduction and sharpening to be a routine process for their Blu ray releases, that statement was made back when Gladiator was re-released and they said as per directors request they were not applying their usual standards to the release and they explained what that meant, even now despite what Mr Harris has said i still have some doubts over this release, that's only because Universal are involved in it, the screencaps look okay, i think some minor grain reduction has been applied but thankfully i don't see the usual EE and that is a huge bonus for a Universal release.
I will refer my full judgment until i have viewed the film in full.
No, none of the usual suspects reside here.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Doctorossi said:
:confused:
Why would that not be the best way to critically look at them, were one to do so?
Because that is not a way to look at FILM. These are screen captures - you have no idea how they were done, if they are accurate (I've never seen a screen cap that actually was completely accurate to what I see in motion - yay OR nay). What do you think we used to do in movie theaters for the entire history of motion pictures - think we yelled up to the projectionist and said - "Stop the film, I thought I saw some EE or a halo or DNR - can you please blow up that part of one frame?" No, we watched the movie.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
According to Carl Gottlieb, the theatrical release strategy for Jaws was completely revised by the head of Universal in the cinema where they held the first preview screening to go through the roof. Gottlieb says that as soon as they saw how enthusiastic the crowd was, they immediately decided to take it wide right away. Which of course paid off for them in a big, big way.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/30#post_3956914
Because that is not a way to look at FILM. These are screen captures - you have no idea how they were done, if they are accurate (I've never seen a screen cap that actually was completely accurate to what I see in motion - yay OR nay). What do you think we used to do in movie theaters for the entire history of motion pictures - think we yelled up to the projectionist and said - "Stop the film, I thought I saw some EE or a halo or DNR - can you please blow up that part of one frame?" No, we watched the movie.

Not to mention that a lot of the screencaps posted online are resized, lossy compressed JPGs. Not the best way to get anything other than a general idea of what the moving image will look like.

Real Name
Kenneth Kraly Jr.
Great review by Robert Harris. I'm looking forward to getting Jaws on Blu-Ray August 14th. I'm happy to hear that not too much DNR was put on this remaster of Jaws and also I'm glad to hear the original mono soundtrack in DTS 2.0 mono is on the blu-ray. As great as the new remix is the original mix should always be put on a order title on blu-ray as well.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/30#post_3956957
Can anyone confirm the end line spoken by Roy is intact, the smile line. ?
A bit muffled?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
FoxyMulder said:
Can anyone confirm the end line spoken by Roy is intact, the smile line?
I've seen vintage prints of the film on a few occasions, and "bitch" has always been clipped.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Kurosawa said:
My late wife and I went to see Jaws in August 1975 when she was eight-and-a-half months pregnant with our daughter. We thought she would deliver right in the theater, thanks to Bruce. Three weeks ago, my daughter, soon to be 37, gave birth to her second son (and my second grandchild). I will be relishing Jaws the evening it arrives by mail--in remembrance and in celebration. Thank you, Universal!
Congrats on your second grandchild and thanks for sharing your memories.
I also saw it upon initial release. I remember double dating with my best friend from high school and the two girls spent as much time in the lobby as they did in the seats. Not what you would call a rather swift idea for a date movie. Certainly it was a different era, before video and widespread cable and before kids became desensitized by what they saw and when they saw it. During that sold-out showing of JAWS on a very large screen, I saw more popcorn flying up into the air then any film before or since. No doubt about it, it was an event.
For a few years we used to do a summer rental on Martha's Vineyard on Lighthouse Road and used to bike past the Gay Head Lighthouse shown in the film on the way to the beach.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
As a ten year old I stood in long lines Outside of the Blaker theater on the Wildwood boardwalk in New Jersey.
That movie probably effected me more than any other since.
We lived in Wildwood during the summers and after seeing Jaws the first time, it was a bit difficult to go back in The water.
It was so much fun standing in long lines that literally went around the block with all the people who loved the movie as much as we did and still do.
I'll be getting the digibook from BB and am curious to see what's included in the pictures of that digibook.
I'm guessing it'll be many of the same shots included on that photo book included in the previous DVD edition.
The old Blaker.......
http://www.funchase.com/Images/Theatres/TheCurtainFallsPg5.htm

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/30#post_3956966
A bit muffled?

I wondered if the "bitch" part of the line had been completely removed, IMDB claims that happened with the 30th anniversary edition, now i have that DVD but it's been a good five years since it was watched so i can't remember if it was missing and that got me worried about this release. Glad to hear it's intact.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I've now had the opportunity to watch about the first 20 minutes of the movie. I'll watch the rest before I submit my review.

My first reaction is to agree with RAH's assessment. This is an excellent Blu-ray. I am seeing detail I never noticed before. All kinds of things, from the clarity of the stripes and anchors on Murray Hamilton's initial suit, to the glassiness of the water in that iconic shot from below of the woman swimming. I had never noticed Quint's mate standing off to the side during his talk with the Selectmen. In prior viewings, he just seemed to appear to me out of nowhere. This time I could see him, and the little dog at the end of his leash. The detail level is high enough that I could see that the closer shot of the kids playing at the dock/boat was done on another day, under brighter conditions. The sound has been judiciously worked to 7.1. The surrounds are really only used sparingly - and mostly for music.

The extras are in standard definition, including the more recent documentary, which looks like it was done around 2005.

I look forward to watching the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks