What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Very late to this thread but i wanted to share something:

I LOVE musicals, especially of the 40s,50s, 60s.
But, I've tried twice to see this film and I can't finish it.
First time I must have seen half an hour, 2nd time a bit more..
What everyone thinks of this film?
It seems a bit of a mess to me.
And also, I don't especially like the songs too.
Maybe your understandable biases have something to do with "My Fair Lady".
Now, if "My Fair Lady" is a film that you love, then "Gigi" may still have a chance of winning you over.
Both of these films and their stage renderings share much in common.
How deeply into their shared histories you want to go is all up to you.
I also recommend your watching the French version of "Gigi" that came with your BD copy.
And, yah, with so many technical advancements since the initial BD release of "Gigi", its high time for Warner Bros. to do a makeover.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Maybe your understandable biases have something to do with "My Fair Lady".
Now, if "My Fair Lady" is a film that you love, then "Gigi" may still have a chance of winning you over.

I've watched My Fair Lady only twice but I loved it of course (need to get the bluray asap).
And I LOVE the songs too.
But this, i don't know why I can't get into it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I've watched My Fair Lady only twice but I loved it of course (need to get the bluray asap).
And I LOVE the songs too.
But this, i don't know why I can't get into it.
Well, Konstantinos, I'm gonna let you in on a dirty little secret.
To begin with, "My Fair Lady" is a better film than "Gigi".
"My Fair Lady" is also a better play, as well.

No doubt, there's much to love about "Gigi", but "My Fair Lady" is superior and shall always plainly reign. It's unforced. It flows. It doesn't try to jam square pegs into round holes. But, like I said, check out the full histories and developments of both these works from Lerner and Lowe, for further insights. Meanwhile, Mr. Konstantinos, get your hands on a BD copy of "My Fair Lady", pronto. And for God's sake, make darn well sure its the 50th Anniversary edition; as restored by one Robert A. Harris. No joke, you must avoid that other BD at all costs.

Well, with all that I've said, I would still double-dip on a BD of a restored "Gigi".
After all, while Elizas' got her Show-Me's; Gigi's has her Shamroys.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Come to think of it, I believe that the full history of how "Gigi" and "My Fair Lady" both evolved is available with the one of the many fantastic supplements found within the 50th Anniversary edition of the MFL BD.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well, Konstantinos, I'm gonna let you in on a dirty little secret.
To begin with, "My Fair Lady" is a better film than "Gigi".
"My Fair Lady" is also a better play, as well.

No doubt, there's much to love about "Gigi", but "My Fair Lady" is superior and shall always plainly reign. It's unforced. It flows. It doesn't try to jam square pegs into round holes. But, like I said, check out the full histories and developments of both these works from Lerner and Lowe, for further insights. Meanwhile, Mr. Konstantinos, get your hands on a BD copy of "My Fair Lady", pronto. And for God's sake, make darn well sure its the 50th Anniversary edition; as restored by one Robert A. Harris. No joke, you must avoid that other BD at all costs.

Well, with all that I've said, I would still double-dip on a BD of a restored "Gigi".
After all, while Elizas' got her Show-Me's; Gigi's has her Shamroys.
ANY play would be better than Gigi ;) as it was a book to movie not play to movie ...

Reactions: PMF

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Actually, GIGI was also a Broadway play during the 1951-1952 season, based on Colette's novel. And in yet another bit of irony, the play starred MY FAIR LADY's Audrey Hepburn as Gigi.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
ANY play would be better than Gigi ;) as it was a book to movie not play to movie ...
That's funny. Chronologically, you are correct; but "Gigi" was made into a stage musical.
IMHO, "My Fair Lady" still remains Lerner and Lowe's masterpiece; try as they did with the others.:mellow:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Actually, GIGI was also a Broadway play during the 1951-1952 season, based on Colette's novel. And in yet another bit of irony, the play starred MY FAIR LADY's Audrey Hepburn as Gigi.
Yup, this is the stuff I suggested that Konstantinos look into. The two stories of "Gigi" and "My Fair Lady" are absolutely fascinating.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Rich beat me to it.
Well, if you weren't so busy writing some of the best damned thesis' on primo transfers, you would have gotten there first.

Isn't it Rich?
Aren't you a Pair?
Oh, wrong composers...strike that.
Goodnight, everyone...you've been a great audience.:wave-hello:

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I've never been a fan of "Gigi," though I'm willing to grant its quality production. However, it has always seemed too mannered, badly in need of some literary paprika. "My Fair Lady" is far better, but I remain unrepentant in my preference for "The King and I" over either of them. I am very surprised that MGM, Freed and Minelli didn't use the stock that had served them so well previously (see "Meet Me in St. Louis" and the non-Minelli "Singin' in the Rain," both beautiful in blu.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've never been a fan of "Gigi," though I'm willing to grant its quality production. However, it has always seemed too mannered, badly in need of some literary paprika. "My Fair Lady" is far better, but I remain unrepentant in my preference for "The King and I" over either of them. I am very surprised that MGM, Freed and Minelli didn't use the stock that had served them so well previously (see "Meet Me in St. Louis" and the non-Minelli "Singin' in the Rain," both beautiful in blu.

?

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Meet Me In St. Louis and Singin' In The Rain were shot with 3-strip Technicolor cameras, which were obsolete by the time Gigi was filmed.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Gigi in my opinion is one of the most glorious musicals ever made! I saw it first run as a child, and played the soundtrack until I wore out several copies. It remains my top favorite although I have probably seen all the others.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Prior to Broadway Gigi was a 1948 French film.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Gaston's eventual, clear-headed request of Madame Alvarez regarding Gigi, how and why he arrived at that unavoidable decision along with the beautifully expressed needs of Gigi that helped to get him there is a powerful statement of deeper and committed emotional love and caring. As a romantic love story, it seems miles more mature and understanding than most film love stories of the past few decades.

And on that count it also leaves My Fair Lady in the dust. That is, if one thinks Shaw was even trying to whip up an environment where romantic love could take root rather than engage in endless dithering, world class brilliant dithering to be sure, in order to discourage one. The male protagonist in each knows what the most important lady in his life is longing for but only one seems to have the fire, maturity and courage to act upon it.

I am a big fan of both. But when I want to experience and share with my loved one the pleasures of a good romantic love story (musical), I choose Gigi for my home theater screening over My Fair Lady.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks