What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Madame Curie – in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Madame Curie is one of those elegant, high-end productions that the studios would offer as bio-pics.

This 1943 production, re-teaming Greer Garson with her Mrs. Miniver co-star Walter Pidgeon, under the direction of the great Mervyn LeRoy.

Shot in magnificent black & white by Joseph Ruttenberg (Gaslight, Mrs. Miniver, Gigi), it's been ported over after a proper image harvest and restoration to a new Warner Archive Blu-ray, and it simply exudes quality.

Blacks are richly rendered, while complete gray scales are obvious. A delicate patina of film grain makes the image appear to mimic that of a 35mm nitrate print.

Everything is right here.

Nominated for seven Academy Awards including Best Picture.

As I was perusing this disc, I was thinking about precisely how many bio-pics have been produced over the decades. Most, but not all come in at over two hours. The major ones are obvious. Think El Auens, Gandhi, Yankee Doodle Dandy. But how many others may fall beneath the historical and film buff radar?

Over the years, there have been only ten to win Best Picture.

I'm thinking of films such as The Story of Dr. Wassell - Paramount / Gary Cooper / Technicolor...

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Absolutely

Highly Recommended

RAH

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I recently watched The Story of Louis Pasteur on TCM. Was surprised that it clocked in at under 90 minutes.
For a guy who lived 72 years, I guess it wasn't much of a life.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I recently watched The Story of Louis Pasteur on TCM. Was surprised that it clocked in at under 90 minutes.
For a guy who lived 72 years, I guess it wasn't much of a life.
Yeah, but his name is the source of the first big word kids read on their milk container ;)!

1623307204891.png

Attachments

• 1623306968717.png
    1623306968717.png
    245.1 KB · Views: 6

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Which is the film where Edward G. Robinson tells someone at a formal dinner party that he working on a cure for syphilis?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
That would be, The Story Of Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet (1940), not that I've ever seen it. It's Warner, so I suppose there could be an Archive release.
Thank you. A very, very long time since I saw the film. That scene is about the only thing I can remember!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
So have I, and I must say that I've never tasted such creamy, warm, delicious milk in my life. It was served in a glass; I did not drink it directly from the udder. :)
Now I just feel like a boob :rolleyes: ...

CJamesCook

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Cook
I remember a unit on milk in the third grade. Halfway through a test the teacher announced, based on some early hand-ins, that "Pasteurization does not mean bringing the cows out to the pasture."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dulourd
Recent bookmarks