What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In Viven Leigh's first role after the Civil War film (21 Days Together, released in January of 1940, was shot in 1937) she's cast in a beautiful love story of a ballet dancer caught out after curfew during The Great War, and the young officer she meets.

Directed by the superb Mervyn LeRoy, and photographed by Joseph Ruttenberg (Gigi, The Philadelphia Story), this new Warner Archive release had me puzzled as to its analogue source.

Obviously, it's from a quality 35mm element. But what?

With a gorgeous gray scale, rich blacks and an extremely highly resolved image, my mind was saying Original Camera Negative.

And I was incorrect.

It's from a magnificently produced fine grain master, that begs your attention.

Robert Taylor is along for the ride as the romantic interest.

As to Ms Leigh, her list of performances on films is unfortunately short. Only eight films between 1940 and 1965's Ship of Fools, with most still missing on Blu-ray.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Definitely!

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]As to Ms Leigh, her list of performances on films is unfortunately short. Only eight films between 1940 and 1965's Ship of Fools, with most still missing on Blu-ray.[...]
Bring ‘em on.

Hopefully, we will also see more of DP Joseph Ruttenberg emerging on BD, as well.

Waterloo Bridge marked Mr. Ruttenberg’s first of ten Oscar nominations; and with that, one can only hope to see further examples of his career and work in future releases from WAC, such as:

The Great Waltz (1938) - WIN
Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956) - WIN
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941) - Nomination
Madame Curie (1943) - Nomination
Julius Caesar (1953) - Nomination
BUtterfield 8 (1960) - Nomination

Gigi (1958) was also a WIN and is on BD, but it could use some overdue tweaking on an updated transfer.

Mrs. Miniver (1942) - WIN
Gaslight (1944) - Nomination
Both are on Blu; and both look WAC fantastic.

But, yes; and by all means; more of Ms. Leigh on BD.

Last edited:

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
In Viven Leigh's first role after the Civil War film (21 Days Together, released in January of 1940, was shot in 1937) she's cast in a beautiful love story of a ballet dancer caught out after curfew during The Great War, and the young officer she meets.

Directed by the superb Mervyn LeRoy, and photographed by Joseph Ruttenberg (Gigi, The Philadelphia Story), this new Warner Archive release had me puzzled as to its analogue source.

Obviously, it's from a quality 35mm element. But what?

With a gorgeous gray scale, rich blacks and an extremely highly resolved image, my mind was saying Original Camera Negative.

And I was incorrect.

It's from a magnificently produced fine grain master, that begs your attention.

Robert Taylor is along for the ride as the romantic interest.

As to Ms Leigh, her list of performances on films is unfortunately short. Only eight films between 1940 and 1965's Ship of Fools, with most still missing on Blu-ray.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Definitely!

Highly Recommended

RAH
Surprised that Waterloo Bridge found a blu ray release - warranted for sure - in Australia in the late 60's - early 70's it ran on a double bill with Blossoms in the Dust multiple times as a week long "filler" back "by popular demand" over months...had perceived this to be too romantic and the past for today's buying market....and yes the quality is a sight to behold

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Surprised that Waterloo Bridge found a blu ray release - warranted for sure - in Australia in the late 60's - early 70's it ran on a double bill with Blossoms in the Dust multiple times as a week long "filler" back "by popular demand" over months...had perceived this to be too romantic and the past for today's buying market....and yes the quality is a sight to behold
I would argue that most Warner Archive releases of films over 30 years old are not marketed to the same crowd as the [DC Character} vs. [DC Character] or popular Sci-Fi character created outside outside of WB (eg King Kong or Godzilla). Those along with the newer WB literary based Intellectual Proprieties (The Lord of The [Harry Potter] Ring cycles) are marketed directly to the YA public through Brick & Mortar stores.

Warner Archives discs are AFAIK only sold online which means the costs of the Bricks & Mortar stores ("Buying endcaps" and special four-way displays - which may be partially covered by accompanying merchandise). Not that the people who purchase Warner Archive disks won't purchased the other product, but do so in addition to those - and vise-versa for some of the YA crowd.

Is suspect if marked properly, films like these would sell more. I remember introducing my younger boss to a non-Warner Marilyn Monroe film "All About Eve" (it had been "re-thought" as "All About Eva") via an extra copy of the DVD. Even though it was in monochrome and MM was not in the film for a great deal of screen time, She enjoyed it immensely and sought out MMs other films - I was happy to direct her to two box-sets that were at Costco at the time she found other films on DVD on-line and in-store (including at least one from WB - with the dude from Hamlet).

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Would be nice to one day see this come to Blu ray as well
085D0FA8-4B69-4782-8D01-C0F63C2636CF.jpeg

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Btw Vivien play a ballerina. this is not a case of where the closeups are her, dn the long shots a real ballerina is substituted. vivien had studied ballet and dis all of her own dancing in this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks