What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Event Horizon -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Just watched the UK UHD last night, and the grain is indeed there. It's just very fine (though a bit less so with any opticals, of course). Still not sure why Tooze said that it was gone.

I really liked the HDR grade. Better contrast, without any excessively bright highlights that wouldn't have been there originally. But it was the wide color gamut that really helped -- the scene with Sam Neill in the circuit board ductwork is still green, of course, but now there's a lot more detail to the shades of green.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
It’s being scalped on Amazon now. I’d like to see scalping become a capital crime.:rolleyes:
At $54.99, that UK set is probably cheaper than what the scalpers are charging for it. Plus, you get a set of Event Horizon blueprints, a Lewis & Clark patch, an Event Horizon pin, and some postcards. So... yeah, it's not much, but there you go. Still probably cheaper than the scalper prices. Plus, since all of the legacy extras are on the Blu-ray only, it does appear to be region free, so that will be beneficial for those who don't have region free players.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
At $54.99, that UK set is probably cheaper than what the scalpers are charging for it. Plus, you get a set of Event Horizon blueprints, a Lewis & Clark patch, an Event Horizon pin, and some postcards. So... yeah, it's not much, but there you go. Still probably cheaper than the scalper prices. Plus, since all of the legacy extras are on the Blu-ray only, it does appear to be region free, so that will be beneficial for those who don't have region free players.
I went with the UK set for that reason.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Looks like this is sold out as well.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Looks like this is sold out as well.
Well, then I'm extra-thankful that I shelled out the money for it. It's possible that this is a first production run and Paramount may press more, and it's also possible that this was a limited run because they're planning on offering a non-steelbook version. Either way, I'm glad that I didn't wait.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I like this movie but not paying $85 on ebay or amazon and will wait for the price to come way down. Bestbuy was sold out at $28.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I like this movie but not paying $85 on ebay or amazon and will wait for the price to come way down. Bestbuy was sold out at $28.
There are only two ways the price will come down at all - 1) They do a reissue of the steelbook LE or, 2) They do a second release without the steelbook packaging. The prices you're seeing for the first steelbook LE will only go up as they become more scarce, unless option #1 happens.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The Paramount 4K from 2 weeks ago is already sold out?

SERIOUSLY???
Seriously. As noted above, no one knows exactly what Paramount is planning. Maybe they underestimated the demand and didn't replicate enough, or they couldn't get enough through replication the first time, and there will be more coming. Or, maybe that's it, and they're going to do a non-steelbook version later. Anything's possible.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Paramount 4K from 2 weeks ago is already sold out?

SERIOUSLY???
The studios are making much smaller batches of their catalog titles, especially those that are limited editions. The MOD concept has taken hold to address customer demand. I suspect another 4K release later on at a cheaper price point. If that happens, it will also be a smaller batch so that the studios and their retailing partners aren't stuck with excessive inventory.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The studios are making much smaller batches of their catalog titles, especially those that are limited editions. The MOD concept has taken hold to address customer demand. I suspect another 4K release later on at a cheaper price point. If that happens, it will also be a smaller batch so that the studios and their retailing partners aren't stuck with excessive inventory.

I admit that once I write a review, I don't follow what's up with those titles. I don't tend to know a lot about the marketplace in that way.

Still shocked that "EH" 4K went poof less than 2 weeks after street, though!

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I admit that once I write a review, I don't follow what's up with those titles. I don't tend to know a lot about the marketplace in that way.

Still shocked that "EH" 4K went poof less than 2 weeks after street, though!
Well, look at it this way; my review isn't going up until today, and we'll end up getting zip out of the links, since no one can order from them! Such is life.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, look at it this way; my review isn't going up until today, and we'll end up getting zip out of the links, since no one can order from them! Such is life.

You snoozed, you losed! :D

pxWP7Q6.gif

Phil Menard

Stunt Coordinator
This supply situation has always been somewhat of a problem with physical media collectors. Do we pre-order and take our chances with the transfer, or, wait until the reviews are in to make a purchase? It used to be that we had a little time to suss things out. More than 2 weeks, anyway! And the limited runs don't make the situation any better.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It would help if these companies would announce what makes it a "limited edition" (I don't usually see anything in the press releases). Is it the number of copies? Is it the special packaging? Is it only available from limited sources? Are there special features that will only be on this small batch?

"Limited Edition" is just marketing weasel words if there's nothing that defines what that "limit" is. If they say it's based on number of copies, people would know they need to pre-order if they want one. But there are a number of things that can make an edition "limited" in nature.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This supply situation has always been somewhat of a problem with physical media collectors. Do we pre-order and take our chances with the transfer, or, wait until the reviews are in to make a purchase? It used to be that we had a little time to suss things out. More than 2 weeks, anyway! And the limited runs don't make the situation any better.
I think the solution is pretty simple - buy the LE/steelbook/whatever and don't open it. You secure a copy for yourself, but if things aren't right with the release you have 30 days to return the unopened copy for a refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks