What's new

A few words about…™ Dragged Across Concrete – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While a fan of the interesting Bone Tomahawk, S. Craig Zahler's latest effort, Dragged Across Concrete flew beneath my radar.

This probably occurred as the distributor desired a film of more normal length, while DAC came in at 158 minutes. It played the fest circuit, and then...

I went into this one cold on a recommendation.

Starring Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn as cops, I presumed that this might be some sort of updated cop buddy picture, a la some of Mr. Gibson's earlier work.

Nope.

Okay, so possibly a noir, high-styled thriller.

Nope.

Dragged Across Concrete is a leisurely drama, in which the good guys can be bad guys, and the bad guys are worse.

Much, much worse.

Think, one of the more nihilistic films to appear in quite a while.

It's a dark, dark film, with some some interesting performances, which could have just as easily fit in with the class of 2020 for depressing.

And yet, while it sometimes takes you places that you might not wish to visit, there's something there that makes the 158 investment almost worth-while.

Never pleasant. Never up-lifting.

It's a two and a half hour visit to that part of the city you dared not enter. At least not without a proper weapon.

Imagery is fine. The film was shot digitally and finished as a 4k DI. Never anything special. Darkness prevails. It is what it is.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

RAH

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I enjoyed the movie.

The dialogue seemed original and interesting to me with Gibson and Vaughn having a ball with their interaction and playing off each other nicely.

Definitely worth a watch.

Quite refreshing to watch a film and not be bored by the recycled ideas and conventions the medium has to offer.

An original and creative approach that entertains and makes the running time seem shorter than what it is.

I personally find that not many movies do that both old and new so that's definitely an achievement in and of itself.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm a fan of Mr. Zahler's work so enjoyed this. Yes, he has his own unique approach which tends toward dark and violent. The two lead actors are excellent in this. For those that have not watched it and intend to I would say be prepared for pregnant pauses and a very leisurely pace.

I had never even heard of this movie. Based on the reviews you guys wrote I thought I’d give it a try. I was very satisfied, especially with the depth of the characters and the originality and lack of cliches. $5 on Amazon and well worth it. Thanks for pointing this one out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks