What's new

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
Cropped to 16x9?
As I recall, yes. I don’t have it yet but the Aspect ratio listed (which has been confirmed with Kino as I recall) is that the masters provided to them by Universal are not in TV aspect ratio. These also weren’t shot open matte nor ever thought of (the last three were to be fair were shot with widescreen in mind) for that widescreen ratio. (since the earliest is from 1989 as I recall how could They). There is a long thread discussing it on Blu-ray. Com.

To be fair, given that Kino has rejected films that have been reframed before and that these are fresh 4K scans, it’s possible that the cost is too much to have them ask Universal to redo them. However, I assume the raw 4K scans were cropped after screening. They evidently aren’t that way on the Japanese masters for those years either.

in the widescreen versions, evidently there is info that is out of shot that is important to the plot on occasion. I cant verify that (perhaps someone has seen the versions on streaming).

We will see what Kino’s response is as to whether or not they will ask to have the original aspect ratio, delay these, etc.

Last edited:

Robert Saccone

Premium
As I recall, yes. I don’t have it yet but the Aspect ratio listed (which has been confirmed with Kino as I recall) is that the masters provided to them by Universal are not in TV aspect ratio. These also weren’t shot open matte nor ever thought of (the last three were to be fair were shot with widescreen in mind) for that widescreen ratio. (since the earliest is from 1989 as I recall how could They). There is a long thread discussing it on Blu-ray. Com.

To be fair, given that Kino has rejected films that have been reframed before and that these are fresh 4K scans, it’s possible that the cost is too much to have them ask Universal to redo them. However, I assume the raw 4K scans were cropped after screening. They evidently aren’t that way on the Japanese masters for those years either.

in the widescreen versions, evidently there is info that is out of shot that is important to the plot on occasion. I cant verify that (perhaps someone has seen the versions on streaming).

We will see what Kino’s response is as to whether or not they will ask to have the original aspect ratio, delay these, etc.
Thx
I am curious to see what Great American Family and Cozi are showing for this portion of the series.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thx
I am curious to see what Great American Family and Cozi are showing for this portion of the series.
I’ve been screening a few of the later Columbo episodes on Cozi. But I’m trying not to as I wait for the Blu rays. To be honest, I never noticed what the aspect ratio is! If they broadcast a later episode tonight, I’ll check it out.

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor

A correction, the Japanese masters also have an incorrect aspect ratio except for the last couple of episodes Which were intended for widescreen (as I recall).

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
I'm working my way through the original series now. Wow! I remembered these fondly from my childhood, but they play even better now that I'm old enough and film savvy enough to appreciate everything in them. And they look fantastic! The blacks show a little lightening around the edges of the frame, at least in some of the episodes on the first disc, but as RAH noted, the resolution is great and the colors gorgeous!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_graham861
Recent bookmarks