What's new

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
^They DID release it on dvd in Japan (as well as the feature edit of Miyazaki's Sherlock Hound episodes) though.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
They are the same discs as GKIDS previously released. They have done this a few different times this year with other titles as well. I bought several Gibli titles on DVD back when the rights were with Disney. Then I upgraded them to Blu-rays which also came from Disney. Then I upgraded them again when GKIDS got the rights and released them in standard packaging. I absolutely think the GKIDS editions are fantastic and were worth the triple dip, but I think I'm done. It would take something pretty special to get me to do a fourth dip on one of these titles, and these steelbooks are not it.

I think I have the original Blu-ray releases of most of Miyazaki's films. Wondering if the GKIDS releases are an upgrade or not.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Wondering if the GKIDS releases are an upgrade or not.

I think they are. At least, I have never been disappointed in a GKIDS edition . The GKIDS discs have new transfers and new Gibli-approved subtitle tracks, and some of them include additional bonus features (presumably from the Japanese editions) which Disney did not include on their editions. A few Disney-produced featurettes here and there weren't ported over, but those are insignificant losses compared to the quality of the GKIDS editions.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I highly recommend this documentary: Never Ending Man: Hayao Miyazaki.

1607480335125.png

It sometimes shows on The PBS.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think I have the original Blu-ray releases of most of Miyazaki's films. Wondering if the GKIDS releases are an upgrade or not.
Someone who is more knowledgeable about the fine details can fill in, but what makes the GKIDS version (and presumably these if they are ports of them) is that they went with actual subtitles vs. dubtitles. Now Disney didn't do dubtitles for all of them IIRC, but enough so that it upset the fanbase. GKIDS went back to translated subtitles which makes a huge difference, at least to me.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Someone who is more knowledgeable about the fine details can fill in, but what makes the GKIDS version (and presumably these if they are ports of them) is that they went with actual subtitles vs. dubtitles. Now Disney didn't do dubtitles for all of them IIRC, but enough so that it upset the fanbase. GKIDS went back to translated subtitles which makes a huge difference, at least to me.

Thanks Carlo!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ

"Dubtitles" remain a major fan urban-legend, left over from the 00's days when Everything Disney Did Was Evil, especially to anime fans (ahemlionking)--

Most of the Disney disks had TWO subtitle tracks, the correct-translation "English", for watching with the Japanese audio, and "English SDH", which captioned what the US dub was saying.
The disks would normally default the US dub, and hitting the Subtitle button would bring up the English SDH subs, for those too lazy to go into the Setup menu.
So, yeah, GKids are basically repackaging of Disney's masters, after the change of ownership.

(Also, somebody on another forum was mentioning a "redub" of Secret World of Arietty--
I know there was a Kiki's Delivery redub, that had to shackle Phil Hartman's ad-libs after the No-Cuts rule meant No Additions or new songs, but was Arietty redone, or did they not have their facts straight?)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
"Dubtitles" remain a major fan urban-legend, left over from the 00's days when Everything Disney Did Was Evil, especially to anime fans (ahemlionking)--

Most of the Disney disks had TWO subtitle tracks, the correct-translation "English", for watching with the Japanese audio, and "English SDH", which captioned what the US dub was saying.

The Castle in the Sky Blu-ray only has dubtitles, IIRC.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The Castle in the Sky Blu-ray only has dubtitles, IIRC.
Correct. Also must point out that the original 2-disc dvd of Laputa had a really bad translation for its subs so it was borderline useless.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
New releases:

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
eed7e6c1-2661-4041-9404-883264a1ee16.png
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
5d13cc26-224f-4aad-81e4-d07e481d3478.png
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

THE CAT RETURNS
And
WHISPER OF THE HEART

ARRIVE IN LIMITED EDITION STEELBOOK™
BLU-RAY+DVD MARCH 16, 2021
FROM GKIDS, DISTRIBUTED BY SHOUT! FACTORY​
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
b16f39cd-8a95-4fc3-858d-b6658e471573.jpg
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
4d4ab5d6-93cd-481a-ab29-2bb0c9184c6a.jpg
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

Studio Ghibli and GKIDS, with distribution by Shout! Factory, will release TheCat Returns and Whisper of the Heart, from the famed Studio Ghibli library of films, on March 16, 2021 in limited edition SteelBook packaging with striking new art. Each SteelBook will house a Blu-ray & DVD combo pack, presenting the film alongside hours of bonus features and a booklet with stunning art and statements from the filmmakers.

With this release, two films from one of the world’s most coveted animation collections can come home to collectors in limited edition SteelBook packaging for the first time in North America.

The Cat Returns and Whisper of the Heart now join Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Howl’s Moving Castle and Ponyo in a series of SteelBook releases from the Studio Ghibli collection of films.

The Cat Returns​
From the legendary Studio Ghibli, creators of My Neighbor Totoro and the Academy Award®-winning Spirited Away, comes a charming and magical adventure that will delight the entire family.
Haru is walking home after a dreary day of school when she spies a cat with a small gift box in its mouth crossing a busy street, and she jumps in front of traffic to save the cat from an oncoming truck. To her amazement, the cat gets up on its hind legs, brushes itself off , and thanks her very politely. But things take an even stranger turn when later that night, the King of Cats shows up at her doorstep in a feline motorcade. He showers Haru with gifts, and decrees that she shall marry the Prince and come live in the Kingdom of Cats!

Bonus Features:
  • Exclusive Booklet
  • Feature-Length Storyboards
  • The Making of The Cat Returns
  • Behind the Microphone
  • Original Theatrical Trailers
  • TV Spots
Whisper of the Heart​
Discover the brilliance of this heartwarming coming-of-age classic from the legendary Studio Ghibli, creators of My Neighbor Totoro and the Academy Award®-winning Spirited Away.
A chance encounter with a mysterious cat sends Shizuku, a quiet schoolgirl, on a quest for her true talent. Together with Seiji, a boy determined to follow his dreams, and enchanted by The Baron, a magical cat figurine who helps her listen to the whispers of her heart, Shizuku embarks on a life-changing adventure that takes her beyond the boundaries of her imagination. This beautiful tale based on a screenplay from Hayao Miyazaki will delight and amaze audiences of all ages!

Bonus Features:
  • Exclusive Booklet
  • Feature-Length Storyboards
  • Four Masterpieces of Naohisa Inoue
  • Background Art from “The Baron’s Story”
  • Behind the Microphone
  • Original Theatrical Trailers
[/TD]
[/TD]

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Re: the subtitle translation issue. I just got the first (2017) GKIDS release of Spirited Away and a spot check I did of the Japanese language subs (that is, not the “dubtitles”) shows it's not the same as the equivalent on the Disney.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Re: the subtitle translation issue. I just got the first (2017) GKIDS release of Spirited Away and a spot check I did of the Japanese language subs (that is, not the “dubtitles”) shows it's not the same as the equivalent on the Disney.

I believe the Disney Spirited Away disc had both literal English subtitles and English "dubtitles." As I recall, the disc made it confusing as to how to turn on each of those. I think if you selected the Japanese language audio and English subs from the menu you'd get one option, but you'd get the other if you tried to turn on subs by using the Subtitle button on the remote while the movie was playing.

Not that I doubt what you're saying, but did you check both?

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I believe the Disney Spirited Away disc had both literal English subtitles and English "dubtitles." As I recall, the disc made it confusing as to how to turn on each of those. I think if you selected the Japanese language audio and English subs from the menu you'd get one option, but you'd get the other if you tried to turn on subs by using the Subtitle button on the remote while the movie was playing.

Not that I doubt what you're saying, but did you check both?

I just double-checked my Disney disc. Regardless of audio choice,
the menu “English for the Hearing Impaired” & remote choice 1/3 are dubtitles and just “English” in the menu & remote choice 2/3 are the relatively literal.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I just double-checked my Disney disc. Regardless of audio choice,
the menu “English for the Hearing Impaired” & remote choice 1/3 are dubtitles and just “English” in the menu & remote choice 2/3 are the relatively literal.

And the GKIDS subtitles are different than Disney's "literal" translation? I wonder if there are any big substantive changes, or if it's just phrasing that has been translated differently.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I wonder how I missed this thread. I've just bought six of these lovely steelbooks, as I never got the other Gkids Blu-ray releases. I watched Kiki's Delivery Service tonight - I love this film, and the transfer is fantastic and the subtitles seem very accurate to me. If the others look this good, then I'm a happy camper. I have three more coming - Howl's, Spirited Away (which Amazon was out of), and one other. I haven't paid over twenty bucks for any of them. One wonders how "limited" these limited editions are.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
There's a new one coming:

Yeah, and I'm so disappointed they won't release any trailer, to see some images.
This is easily my most anticipated film of the last years.
I will eagerly wait for the Japanese blu-ray to complete my collection of beautiful Ghibli digibooks:
(*not my photo)
IRZhism.jpg

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
There's a new one coming:

I wonder how many "final" films will Miyazaki ultimately have? The guy announces his retirement after every movie he makes, but then moves right on to the next one without missing a beat. He seems to be a workaholic and will probably be slaving away in the middle of a project the day he eventually dies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks