What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There can be no debate that, whichever side one might be on, the concept of white supremacy is alive and well in the United States in the 21st century.

Antebellum, written and directed by Gerard Bush and Christopher Renz, takes that concept, builds upon it, and turns it into a political/psychological/thriller, very much in the mode of M. Knight Shyamalan - so much so that had I not known otherwise, I would have presumed that it was his project on any number of levels.

Without getting into the storyline, as there would be spoilers galore, and part of the production's appeal is in the setup and screenplay, it‘s an unpleasantly positioned tale, regardless of which side of the fence one stands, and possibly that's also a potential part of that appeal.

If, in 2020, there remained such an event as office water cooler discussions, this could lead to many varied positions.

Beautifully photographed, in and around the Spanish mossed trees of the Evergreen Plantation in New Orleans by Pedro Luque, it is those lush surroundings that stand out in opposition to what occurs there.

The 4k Blu-ray via Lionsgate is meticulously produced, with Dolby Vision as well as HDR (I viewed with HDR), and Dolby Atmos, which affects the production in numerous ways.

Not an easy production watch, as it takes the theme of people in jeopardy to a naturalistic extreme, but for those who can deal with the subject matter, it's a thriller of some import.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Definitely concur, and this echoes what I said in my review. It's hard to discuss the actual contents here at HTF but I wish more people would give this film a chance. It's unique and VERY 2020, in myriad ways. I liked it more than most critics did but I think the film will age better than most.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks @Robert Harris for a cleverly compelling synopsis that still manages to avoid spoilers. I'll plan to see this one but may re-watch Mississippi Burning to prepare my spirit.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
We watched it On-Demand last weekend. It was indeed a powerful film, hard to watch, but thought-provoking and rewarding. As always, Monae did an outstanding acting job.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks