What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A Soldier's Story -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's getting a bit boring.

Writing comments about Columbia (Sony) releases and their problems is about as interesting as watching grass grow.

It just does.

And there aren't any. Problems, that is.

Norman Jewison's A Soldier's Story, a good and interesting film, but not a great one, is just such a case for Sony.

The image has been properly harvested. Everything is a sharply rendered as the original negative or IP allows. Blacks are rich, the color palette proper, and shadow detail just fine.

Audio, even in a Columbia production released via Image Entertainment is perfect uncompressed PCM..

See what I mean. It's perfect, and there's really no story here.

The film itself is one that I enjoy, and seeing it on Blu-ray kicks it up a notch.

To eliminate any confusion, this is not a Denzel Washington film. He's merely in it. It's a Howard E. Rollins, Jr. film. Mr. Rollins received an Academy Award nomination for his work in Ragtime, and his work his is below that level, but still very good.

One of my favorite bits in the film is the arrival of Mr. Rollins' character at an army base during WWII. It's a first time meeting for a white army captain, who has obviously never met a black army captain before. There's just this look on the white captain's face.

A Soldier's Story is a worthwhile view, especially for $15 on Blu-ray. Accept no substitutes.

Recommended.

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for your impressions on A Soldier's Story, a film I have always had a fondness for.

Just a note: Howard Rollins did not receive the Oscar for Ragtime. John Gielgud won that year for Arthur. He was nominated for the award (and for a Golden Globe).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by MattH.

Thanks for your impressions on A Soldier's Story, a film I have always had a fondness for.

Just a note: Howard Rollins did not receive the Oscar for Ragtime. John Gielgud won that year for Arthur. He was nominated for the award (and for a Golden Globe).

Must cut back on early morning drinking. Left a word out. Oscar nominated.

Thank you!

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by AnthonyP

Does this retain the extras from the DVD release?

I don't have the review copy yet, but I'll be reviewing this title later in the week with the information on extras.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
When are we going to get that other Norman Jewison film, the classic "best picture of the year" Oscar winner IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT?.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks