What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Witch -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This must be Anya Taylor-Joy's year.

Two 4k Blu-ray arriving concurrently, representing her work. The other is Glass.

The Witch is the purpose of these few words, and is the better of the two, as a film.

Written and directed by Robert Eggers, it's a beautiful film, having arrived on Blu-ray in October 2016, after playing the fest circuit since early 2015.

For our purposes, it's a perfect example of the proliferation of 4k releases, based upon a 2k source. The 4k of The Witch comes off a bit heavier, with HDR, but with no additional discernible resolution over its HD counterpart.

In other words, another typical 4k from 2k release.

In general terms, what's to be learned here, is that for those who don't own the film, it's an easy decision to pick up the 4k over the HD - if HDR is meaningful to you. If not save your cash, and spend it elsewhere.

If the HD is already in the library, then the 4k can be skipped.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Added resolution via 4k - No

Upgrade from Blu-ray - No

RAH

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The scene in which the devil "appears," in the barn toward the end, is so freaking dark on my Blu-ray I have yet to even catch a quick glimpse of it. I don't think it registered in the theater when I saw it in 2015, either. But that goat and some of the very heavy atmosphere can send shivers down my back.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
One of the best horror films in recent years for me. Disappointed to hear that the 4K release doesn't add much of value to the experience. I was looking forward to this one.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I'm very glad to hear your honest reaction to the UHD. I love the film, and have owned the BD since day one, but I would have been rather chaffed if I had received another UHD with very little or no improvement over the BD.

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony
I don't own this film, but would like to. I have to say that putting the comparison between the UHD and the Blu-ray so simply is really helpful. Many times the reviewer goes to lengths to say that there is only a slight uptick in quality, but they rarely if ever tell you that it's not a necessary investment. Thanks for the transparency Mr. Harris!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks