What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ari Aster's (Hereditary) longer cut of his travelogue horror/mystery, Midsommar, has arrived here in the Colonies in its 172 minute cut, and in 4k.

Shot with the new Panavision Millennium in 5k and 8k, and finished as a 4k DI, it's imagery is never less than astounding.

I generally sit about ten feet away from my projection screen, but felt the need to peep at the pixels for this one, and found the overall resolution totally magnificent, and a one of the new poster children for the 4k world.

Color, densities, black levels, shadow detail, are perfect, and with nary a digital look in sight.

I'm preferring the longer cut of the film, but am certain the others will have their own opinions.

As a film, it reminds me of the best of Dreyer - not based upon the locations, but rather on the overall textures of story - and also Robert Eggers, The Witch. The fact that, for the most part, the tale unfolds in the brightest of sunlight, only adds to one's discomfort.

For those who may have missed it, the 4k DC, currently available directly from A24 (albeit sold out, and going for stupid money on the web) is the way to go. They'll be back in stock.

It's a film that doesn't just disappear from your mind after viewing. Watch it and you're stuck with it.

Audio is room-filling and perfect.

I'll offer no discussion of the storyline.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think the dir cut is on Amazon prime if one can not find it on disc.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
The packaging and book on this one deserves special notice. I was skeptical of the $50 price, but upon receipt, it was obvious a lot of care went into putting together something special that's truly unique and collectible.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The large format origins of the film make the 4k disc the standout that it is. Not certain that streaming would do it justice.

The 4K Director's Cut iTunes stream looks darned fine on my setup (Apple TV 4K + 65" LG OLED), but I'm sure the disc is an improvement. The question becomes, if you're not a huge fan of the film, is the Collector's Edition worth the extra cost and trouble? For me, no. If the theatrical cut was also included I might have been tempted. That being said, I'd love to have the disc in-hand and do a comparison to the streaming version.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The 4K Director's Cut iTunes stream looks darned fine on my setup (Apple TV 4K + 65" LG OLED), but I'm sure the disc is an improvement. The question becomes, if you're not a huge fan of the film, is the Collector's Edition worth the extra cost and trouble? For me, no. If the theatrical cut was also included I might have been tempted. That being said, I'd love to have the disc in-hand and do a comparison to the streaming version.

Might lead one to wonder if the 4k rights to the earlier cut are with Lionsgate.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I see it.

2D929ADA-A799-4B41-A1D0-B81C1C68864C.png

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This was one of the most brutal fictional films I have seen in recent memory, and it wasn't even the director's cut.

Yet, I was completely captivated throughout. It took me a day or two to piece it all together and realize how much I liked the film.

However, sadly, I can't watch this again.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This was one of the most brutal fictional films I have seen in recent memory, and it wasn't even the director's cut.

Yet, I was completely captivated throughout. It took me a day or two to piece it all together and realize how much I liked the film.

However, sadly, I can't watch this again.
You’re absolutely correct. Still trying to figure certain plot lines out.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
This has just become a bugger to get on 4K disc. A24 has yet to restock (and it seems there was some "phantom restocks") and I'm not sure I want to pay $135 for the Japanese steelbook. Regardless, the 4K Prime stream looked damn good.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This has just become a bugger to get on 4K disc. A24 has yet to restock (and it seems there was some "phantom restocks") and I'm not sure I want to pay $135 for the Japanese steelbook. Regardless, the 4K Prime stream looked damn good.
As an 8k capture, the 4k disc is amazing

ScottBos

Auditioning
I hated this film - nothing more than a stolen premise. It's amazing how a hack writer can take an idea from another. THE WICKER MAN, need I say more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks