1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Thin Man - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I feel the same and had the same result: Footlight Parade arrived on its release day. No other Warner Archive Blu-ray has arrived on time this entire year. I don't sweat it because my backlog is immense, and there are always new series on Netflix and Prime to keep me eternally occupied, but it's galling nevertheless.

PMF, David Weicker and Will Krupp like this.
  2. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    I wonder if some correlation can be made with the number of units ordered and wait time. If Warner slowly provides the stock and there were a lot of orders, the result is a month+ wait after the release date. If we have the same situation but with fewer orders, then we're more likely to receive the discs quickly. So, perhaps this all means that "Footlight Parade" hasn't sold as well as "The Thin Man" and Popeye collections. Again, this is all supposition. I do recall waiting a few weeks for 'The Sea Hawk" so I would like to think that would bode well for more Errol Flynn (hey WAC - my Flynn wish list is still lengthy ;))

3. ThadK

ThadK Second Unit

According to my sources, WAC has provided Amazon plenty of copies of these releases. I know for a fact Amazon had ample copies of the Popeye Vol. 2 disc people are just starting to get now, a full two months after the release date. Seems to be some sort of standoff going on, so best to go elsewhere.

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer

So Amazon is just hording copies in their warehouse to screw with WAC/Allied Vaughn?
    While it certainly wouldn't put it past Amazon in general that sounds a bit far fetched.

For items that can be replaced fairly easily (non Limited Editions) it doesn't seem to be a great strategy since it's not really stressing anyone other than Amazon customers. Most collectors of this type disc already know to go elsewhere either initially or certainly within a short window of delay. Not a lot of people seem to be blaming Warner since it's easy to see copies at every other known retailer (other than the small number of Amazon cultists who seem to have already decided it's a one seller world) and pretty obvious the disc is easily available.

5. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    I’m confused by this post.

You state that Amazon ‘had ample copies’ but is only shipping them “now, a full two months after the release date”.

Are you implying that Amazon sat on these copies for two months?

Will Krupp likes this.
  6. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    If that’s true, it makes no business sense at all. All it does is drive most purchasers to other retailers. It punishes themselves and in no way punishes WAC.

Will Krupp likes this.
  7. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I think you may be thinking too hard on this. I don’t think sales have any relation on what Amazon ships. I believe it depends on who orders first. After the first shipment from WAC is sold out, which Amazon more than likely orders a limited amount, then it takes a week or so for them to be replenished.

8. ThadK

ThadK Second Unit

You can believe what you want - none of it makes sense to me either. All I know is that Amazon at least had ample copies of the Popeye discs in hand ahead of release. It seemed like an anomaly until this started happening with every new WAC title. I have no idea what is actually going on (Is there a standoff between Amazon and WAC or a particular fulfillment center?), but all it points to is to not buy new WAC titles thru Amazon, obviously.

9. Danny Burk

Danny Burk Second Unit

Makes no sense to me either. I got THIN MAN, FOOTLIGHT, and GASLIGHT all within a day or two of release. Unless something changes with my future orders, I'll just keep ordering from Amazon...

10. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I canceled my pre-order of The Thin Man and ordered it (along with another title to get free shipping) from B&N. My Amazon order was supposed to ship on 8-28. I did not have to have it now, but I felt I should shop from the retailer that offered better service. Had the Amazon order been half the price of B&N, I might have stood pat; but it was only $1 less.

RJGT likes this.
  11. RJGT

RJGT Extra

Richard Todd
    Thanks for mentioning that. I've now done the same - although free shipping isn't an option for Canadian orders. Ordering from Canada can be a pain and that's why I tend to go with Amazon.com if Amazon Canada doesn't have it available (Amazon.com even clears it through customs, which most U.S. sellers don't do). But B&N was excellent when I picked up some Criterion titles during the summer sale so I hope to now be watching The Thin Man sooner than if I had stuck with Amazon.

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

the-thin-man_wed.
    I'll believe it when I see it...

Rodney and PMF like this.
  13. sitman

sitman Auditioning

Bill Shepard
    I've had my Thin Man BD on pre-order at Amazon for several weeks but today, release day, the site shows "temporarily out of stock." That had also been the case with my previous Blu-ray pre-orders of Footlight Parade, Gaslight, and Popeye Vol. 2. I ended up cancelling those orders and getting them from the WB Shop or Barnes & Noble. It seems that Amazon's relationship with the WB Archive has changed. Maybe WB delays its shipments to Amazon because they undersell their own prices by several dollars?

14. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Paul
    I ordered mine from Amazon on June 21, it was shipped on August 7 and I received it August 8.

15. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Wouldn't explain why all the retailers selling for less than Amazon still get plenty of product.
    WB doesn't have a price -- they haven't owned or operated WBShop in years

16. Message #176 of 241 Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    A desire to punish Amazon and force their customer base toward somewhere else would explain it. As I've said, Warner is no altruistic hero in all of this and it's time we assign equal blame instead of just defending them because we like what they sell. You mentioned (at least I think it was you?) Amazon cultists up thread, I think we've got some Warner cultists as well who always assume the company is doing the right thing and is always the victim.

Which is why I always think it's pointless when someone says they need to buy from WBShop at full price to show their support for classic releases on blu-ray. It doesn't move the needle at all. Warner is still selling to WBShop at (one assumes) the same discount they're selling to other retailers so anything over that goes to directly to the retailer.

ThadK and ahollis like this.
  17. Message #177 of 241 Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I think that's an unfair statement! I don't see any Warner cultists saying their beyond criticism. Name me some Warner cultists instead of just implying such. Warner gets its fair share of criticism on this forum. I've been very critical of them and how they handle Warner titles on iTunes for example as they don't upgrade their Warner titles on that service with newer transfers after being released on Blu-ray by Warner Archive.

Another thing, even Amazon has far more detractors than cultists on this forum. There are few of us that don't have some issues with them and their service. The same with Disney. Now, if you want to talk about Apple's cultists that's another story.:)

18. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    As does Amazon, yet I didn't see you objecting to the labeling of Amazon "cultists." In fact, you "liked" the post.

You had someone on this very thread claiming (and believing) that Amazon has plenty of copies of these titles on hand and is just sitting on them for months. You don't believe it's a fair statement to imply there are people who want to paint Warner as always the victim and never the aggressor? I only used the word cultist to mirror the previous post, if you don't like the word then feel free to replace it with one that equally suits.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    TBH, I don't recall any Amazon "cultists". As far as Warner, they're no different than any major corporation in which none of them are just victims. I have noted more than a few times about corporate greed and how it has permeated throughout big business. The two big dogs are Amazon and Disney. Both companies get a major share of criticism as a large segment of us have experienced some issues with them.

Will Krupp likes this.
  20. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I forgot, Warner, who's parent company is AT&T is the third big dog and I find their business practices on the same scale as Amazon and Disney. I'm not happy with any of them in how they're treating their consumer base. That's not to say that there aren't some things I do like from any of those companies. However, they have warts too and they show at times in the services and products they offer the general public. Again, no major corporation is above criticism.

Will Krupp likes this.