What's new

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I could as many of those films that are short in length with mostly interior scenes can be shot in 2-3 weeks back then. Shooting schedules were very economical back in the day.

This one was ESPECIALLY fast though, even for the time. WS Van Dyke only had a brief window of time if he wanted to use Powell and Loy after MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (and he DID) because they were both due on other pictures (I want to say hers was STAMBOUL QUEST but I can't honestly remember.) They increased the breakneck speed of the production by actually having two setups on opposite sides of the soundstage ready to go at the same time. They'd finish one and turn the cameras around to start on the next, which was all set to go with no waiting.

On a side note, Myrna Loy tells the story of the "final roundup" at the dinner table in her autobiography. They were real oysters being served at the dinner BUT (and it's an important "but') they only had one set that they kept putting out and removing between takes. She tells how they started to putrefy under the lights and everybody was getting absolutely green from the smell. She never ate an oyster again. She also tells the story of William Powell recounting the facts of the case in that same scene. Between takes, she leaned over to him and whispered, "I don't know how you're managing this, I'm so confused by it all." He turned to her under his breath and said, "You're confused? I have no goddamn idea what I"m even saying!."

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This one was ESPECIALLY fast though, even for the time. WS Van Dyke only had a brief window of time if he wanted to use Powell and Loy after MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (and he DID) because they were both due on other pictures (I want to say hers was STAMBOUL QUEST but I can't honestly remember.) They increased the breakneck speed of the production by actually having two setups on opposite sides of the soundstage ready to go at the same time. They'd finish one and turn the cameras around to start on the next, which was all set to go with no waiting.

On a side note, Myrna Loy tells the story of the "final roundup" at the dinner table in her autobiography. They were real oysters being served at the dinner BUT (and it's an important "but') they only had one set that they kept putting out and removing between takes. She tells how they started to putrefy under the lights and everybody was getting absolutely green from the smell. She never ate an oyster again. She also tells the story of William Powell recounting the facts of the case in that same scene. Between takes, she leaned over to him and whispered, "I don't know how you're managing this, I'm so confused by it all." He turned to her under his breath and said, "You're confused? I have no goddamn idea what I"m even saying!."
I'm just saying it wasn't unusual for them to finish such a movie in less than 3 weeks time. It happened quite a lot with many films of that film length.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I'm just saying it wasn't unusual for them to finish such a movie in less than 3 weeks time. It happened quite a lot with many films of that film length.

I usually hate it when someone belabors a point like I'm about to do, but I just looked up some similar comedies of that era (His Girl Friday, Bringing Up Baby, The Awful Truth) and the productions ranged from 2-4 months.

I don't think saying 2.5 weeks is surprising is THAT far out of left field...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I usually hate it when someone belabors a point like I'm about to do, but I just looked up some similar comedies of that era (His Girl Friday, Bringing Up Baby, The Awful Truth) and the productions ranged from 2-4 months.

Well, I'm not going to belabor the point any further by looking up other films from 1934 with similar film production length.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

Proof positive that when the martinis get flowing so, too, does the daily working hours.;)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Production or filming? Production entails set building and costume making and tests before filming begins, and editing and scoring after filming ends. Filming is always shorter than production time.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Production or filming? Production entails set building and costume making and tests before filming begins, and editing and scoring after filming ends. Filming is always shorter than production time.

We are talking about filming time.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I can’t really add much. Just wanted to say that my order for this film from Amazon is taking forever. Won’t have it till end of August. So I cancelled it and ordered through Best Buy. Won’t get it till next week.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sadly, I can't cancel as I bought two items to get cheaper postage. So I'm still waiting, and when I last checked (one minute ago) the shipping info shows still not shipped!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I knew going in that it was going to take a Looooooong time to get a WAC order from Amazon, especially one as popular as this one.
Like others, I only ordered it because the Prime Days price was too attractive to pass up. I don't normally watch this movie until later in the year, so it isn't that big a deal to wait. Okay, maybe it is.

I keep telling myself:

download-1.jpg

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I got my copy yesterday (and it looks glorious!) from Amazon. Still waiting for my WAC copy of MERRILL'S MARAUDERS, which I ordered earlier and was released the week before THE THIN MAN! Crazy.

I knew going in that it was going to take a Looooooong time to get a WAC order from Amazon, especially one as popular as this one.
Like others, I only ordered it because the Prime Days price was too attractive to pass up. I don't normally watch this movie until later in the year, so it isn't that big a deal to wait. Okay, maybe it is.

I keep telling myself:

download-1.jpg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha! Yeah, I’m not in a hurry either to get my copy. I wasn’t aware Amazon has this lag fulfilling orders from WAC. I didn’t like having an order out so long that I might forget it and it never gets fulfilled for some reason.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I had the privilege of watching "The Thin Man" with Myrna Loy in the audience. She made an appearance at a theater to promote a new biography or autobiography. She was only suppose to be there to introduce the film and promote the book but ended up staying to see the film.

large.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
James Wong Howe's cinematography looked as fresh as if it had been shot yesterday. Glorious! And what joyful, natural camaraderie between the two leads (and Asta).
I also got to see Loy in person at a Cinecon in NY. She maintained that regal posture which made her look so tall and elegant, and had just the tiniest set of spider-web wrinkles on her face.

Reactions: PMF

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Like others, I only ordered it because the Prime Days price was too attractive to pass up.
That was my reasoning too; If not for the Prime Day pricing, I would have paid more through Barnes & Noble or waited a lot longer for the next WBShop 4 for $44 sale.

That being said, my delivery estimate just updated from "Arriving Aug 14 - Aug 28" to "Expected by Aug 28" -- so it's not looking good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks