What's new

ThadK

Second Unit
Mine arrived from B&N yesterday. Easily the best I've seen a title of this vintage look, certainly the best this particular classic has. Clearly they went the extra mile, it's essentially flawless. Audio is quite good, too.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'm still waiting. Still hovering between Ordered and Shipped, with an Amazon- predicted arrival date of between August 26 and September 12. This might be my very last Amazon order.

I feel for you. I went the Amazon route for along time waiting up to a month and a half for the title. I did this so HTF would benefit from the order. I eventually witched to WAC to get it in release week.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I feel for you. I went the Amazon route for along time waiting up to a month and a half for the title. I did this so HTF would benefit from the order. I eventually witched to WAC to get it in release week.

But do you watch it during release week?

There are many, many HTFers who talk about purchasing a disc and then adding it to their pile of still-to-watch

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
But do you watch it during release week?

There are many, many HTFers who talk about purchasing a disc and then adding it to their pile of still-to-watch
There are certain titles that move to the head of the pile and for many of us, this is one of those few titles.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
There are certain titles that move to the head of the pile and for many of us, this is one of those few titles.
Absolutely. Some upcoming releases one simply has "the fever" about seeing, and The Thin Man is one of them. Any musical that gets released on Blu-ray also gets my immediate attention.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I eventually witched to WAC to get it in release week.

Yeah, so did I except that I STILL don't have it. I got a shipping notice on the 31st with a bogus, useless dhl tracking number (We wish to inform you that a number of packages may experience delayed or missing tracking information. Continue to check this tracking page for the latest update. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience this may cause.) which is the SAME message I get while trying to track all three of the discs I ordered at the same time (SUMMER STOCK, FOOTLIGHT PARADE and this one) though the other two arrived. They've got one more day and then I'm going to complain. SIXTEEN CANDLES arrived from the UK with a total time lapse of THREE days from ordering until it was in my hand. How hard is this?

Last edited:

ThadK

Second Unit
The WBShop site is terrible. Slow shipping at a high cost. Also, a friend got his credit card info stolen from that site, so I avoid it at all costs. B&N gave me a cheaper price, and faster shipping at a lower cost, so with Amazon in its current war with WB, I know my choice for WAC releases.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Get it from my local video retailer after work, take it home all excited, put it in the blu-ray player, realize I'd need to remove the shrink wrap and take the disc out first, do so, movie starts, what sorcery is this, eyes bugging out, ears twitching like a cat, mind blown by miraculous restoration. How was your Saturday?

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Me too! It may not be "perfect" but it works for me. I have a habit of watching the trailer before the movie (don't ask; maybe all those years of managing a movie theater has something to do with it) & the double images of William Powell as Nick Charles & Philo Vance seem to jump off the screen due to the added resolution.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, so did I except that I STILL don't have it. I got a shipping notice on the 31st with a bogus, useless dhl tracking number (We wish to inform you that a number of packages may experience delayed or missing tracking information. Continue to check this tracking page for the latest update. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience this may cause.) which is the SAME message I get while trying to track all three of the discs I ordered at the same time (SUMMER STOCK, FOOTLIGHT PARADE and this one) though the other two arrived. They've got one more day and then I'm going to complain. SIXTEEN CANDLES arrived from the UK with a total time lapse of THREE days from ordering until it was in my hand. How hard is this?

Generally WBShop emails say it a DHL tracking number but over the last year or so, it's actually a UPSMI number (starts with 9xxxx.....). Plug the number in on that site and see what comes up or try it (maybe next time)

I'm betting the package was delivered by USPS and not DHL

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
And you would be right! At first I thought it was a different title I had ordered because I was expecting DHL

No idea why this hasn;'t been corrected, but my last order was over a year ago from WBShop and it's been doing that at least since then.
I remember seeing the email and like everyone was complaining about dead tracking. I remember the tracking not looking like a DHL number plugged it into a bunch of different trackers before it eitehr dawned on me it was a USPS number or someone else mentioned UPS-MI. USPS will show the number, but until after it changes hands and is in USPS custody (so basically the last 24 hrs)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I watched it last night. It's amazing how well the film still holds up, it still feels as contemporary as the first time I saw it, closer to early Godard and Truffaut than a film produced by MGM from the mid 1930's. Some of that is attributable to James Wong Howe's remarkable photography, which uses darkness not so much as a means for mood, but as an aid to spontaneity, which reinforces the seemingly of-the cuff improvisatory acting in scenes like the Christmas party. However, what seeing this film so clearly finally creates is the ability to observe the craft and care in the lighting as well as the set-ups. There's a myth that this film was shot so quickly that the director didn't really control the photography or the acting, but simply watching this Blu gives the lie to that myth. This may have been shot quickly, but the editing and lighting are very carefully done, creating the illusion of spontaneity as well as a frame for the actors to appear to be spontaneous in. Specifically, the set-ups in the Christmas party are done so that it seems that it is one continuous shot, and that all these people and interpolations just kind of happen. Actually, it's all orchestrated. Now it may have all been done in one or two takes, but those takes were carefully planned nonetheless. But after all this verbiage, yeah: it's great and looks amazing and I'm happy I pre-ordered it so I can share in all the Wows & general acclaim. .

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It's probably sacrilege to say, but I've always thought The Thin Man was ripe for a remake. With the right writer and actors...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks