1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Thin Man - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Danny Burk

Danny Burk Second Unit

Curious about the difference in projected nitrate vs safety prints, I once asked Audrey Kupferberg from the AFI about it (~ 35 years ago). She said that there wasn't a difference when it was a really good, properly made safety print. This is in no way meant to disagree with Robert; perhaps she wasn't seeing the difference that Robert has seen.

More recently (about 10 years ago), I saw a couple of Technicolor nitrate trailers from '40s musicals with arc light projection. They were stunningly gorgeous, with vibrant color and saturation like I've never seen elsewhere. But whether this was just because they were original prints with real Technicolor processing, or because they were nitrate, I can't say.

Jack K likes this.
  2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Let’s further complicate matters. Safety print vs original YCM+S.

3. RJGT

RJGT Extra

Richard Todd
    Great news. One of the all-time best films and a joy to watch at any time, so seeing it in its spiffed up condition should be a real treat. Amazon Canada lists it as "Currently unavailable" (which is actually a step up for some of the recent classic pre-orders that just weren't listed until they were just about to be released or had already been released). Order placed on U.S. Amazon site, which will add some delay to it getting here to Canada but that will just build the anticipation.

4. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    It is listed in the 20% off ($17.99) sale at Target until July 20th ... free shipping if using Target Red Card + a percentage off for using the red card

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yup, I pre-ordered it last week from Target for $13.67 plus tax and free shipping.

6. Clay_E

Clay_E Stunt Coordinator

B-ROLL and Robert Crawford -- thanks for the posts! I ordered mine from Target for 15 bucks and change after tax, with free shipping. Can't wait to see this one!

7. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

I just pre-ordered 'The Thin Man' from Amazon (through the HTF link) and was surprised to see $3.58 of "Extra Savings" automatically added to my order. That knocked the price down to $14.41 plus tax. I have absolutely zero idea why I received a $3.58 discount. It had nothing to do with my payment method and wasn't listed as a promotional item. It simply said "Extra Savings" next to the discount. 'The Thin Man' was the only item in my cart.

Given my negative experiences with Target's online store, I was fully ready to just pay $17.99 through Amazon. Screw Target online and good luck to everyone that used them!

Mark

rkhoury likes this.
  8. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    I know that the $3.58 was deducted during Prime Days sale. I was not aware it was still active.

9. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    I'm in full agreement. The Thin Man is normally shown in my household on either Christmas or Christmas Eve, often on a double bill with the original Miracle on 34th Street. Of course, a few days later After the Thin Man is the selection for New Years. I have the new blu-ray on pre-order, but I'll be setting it aside for Christmas.

Will Krupp, Peter Keller, PMF and 2 others like this.
  10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    They're matching Target's current 20% off select DVD/BR titles with that extra discount. By putting it in that way it doesn't show up in "low price search engines" so they won't get a "run" on them. I don't know if they're doing it on every title in Target's sale but it *is* there for The Thin Man and the Space 1999 BR complete series.

11. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yep, I went there this morning and canceled my original pre-order and ordered it again and immediately got the new price saving those few precious dollars in the process. This may have put me in the back of the queue, however, when Amazon begins filling orders meaning I may not get it when Target folks do. We'll see.

12. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    As for me, when I saw that Warner Archive was issuing "The Thin Man" on Blu-Ray, I did my usual thing and called up my local independent video retailer, Videomatica, asking them to hold one for me when it comes in. It works perfectly for me, but more importantly so do the human beings who work at Videomatica. They also get to get paid, eat, have homes, buy "The Thin Man" Blu-Rays of their own, etc.. I mean, God bless my Home Theatre Forum friends who are maximizing their Blu-Ray dollars (so they can get as many Blu-Rays as their budgets will allow) (and boy, do I understand that one) but as long as I can support a local video retailer I'm going to. I'll be sorry if Jeff Bezos or Joe Bob Target can't quite afford their next $38 billion divorce because of me, but we all have to make sacrifices.

KPmusmag, Jack K, gruagach and 9 others like this.
  13. DennisBassi

DennisBassi Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    Thanks for the tip about Target. I got it for $14.80 including tax and free shipping. An incredible bargain for such a wonderful classic!

14. Spencer Draper

Spencer Draper Stunt Coordinator

Spencer Draper
    This is such exciting news for a film I had sadly assumed would be stuck as an OOP DVD upgrade of the old Laserdisc series box I trot out for a yearly rewatch. If it sells strongly enough it would bode well for the sequels.

PMF, Jack K, JohnMor and 1 other person like this.
  15. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    I agree with you -- this is one of the all time great films -- period. I downloaded from Amazon and it looked good. I wonder if this will be even better.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  16. Message #36 of 150 Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I watched this film every year around Christmas time and during the year I will watch segments of it while channel surfing.

warnerbro, ahollis and PMF like this.
  17. Message #37 of 150 Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

Boy if you thought Amazon's print looks good, the blu-ray might hit you right in the tabloids.

18. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Hey guys I’m a little confused.

The last few posts sounded like you guys actually received your Thin Man blu rays. So I thought I’d try to order as I’d been waiting for availability to order. Whenever I looked at Amazon, it says ships in 5 weeks or a version of that. Which led me to think Amazon was feuding with Warner too. I was trying to figure out the same about Gaslight. But I see The Thin Man will be released on July 30th. And for Gaslight, Amazon shows shipping in two to five weeks. But Best Buy can ship right away as it was released June 25th. So I thought The Thin Man was shipping, but Amazon is delaying shipping for whatever reasons.

So how I see it now, The Thin Man is not actually shipping yet as it’s not released till July 30th. Gaslight is released and it might be easier to purchase at venues other then Amazon.

19. Message #39 of 150 Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

People are pre-ordering it, but I don't see that anyone has gotten it yet. It definitely doesn't come out until July 30...

20. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Thanks for the post. I thought that was the case. :)