What's new

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Curious about the difference in projected nitrate vs safety prints, I once asked Audrey Kupferberg from the AFI about it (~ 35 years ago). She said that there wasn't a difference when it was a really good, properly made safety print. This is in no way meant to disagree with Robert; perhaps she wasn't seeing the difference that Robert has seen.

More recently (about 10 years ago), I saw a couple of Technicolor nitrate trailers from '40s musicals with arc light projection. They were stunningly gorgeous, with vibrant color and saturation like I've never seen elsewhere. But whether this was just because they were original prints with real Technicolor processing, or because they were nitrate, I can't say.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Curious about the difference in projected nitrate vs safety prints, I once asked Audrey Kupferberg from the AFI about it (~ 35 years ago). She said that there wasn't a difference when it was a really good, properly made safety print. This is in no way meant to disagree with Robert; perhaps she wasn't seeing the difference that Robert has seen.

More recently (about 10 years ago), I saw a couple of Technicolor nitrate trailers from '40s musicals with arc light projection. They were stunningly gorgeous, with vibrant color and saturation like I've never seen elsewhere. But whether this was just because they were original prints with real Technicolor processing, or because they were nitrate, I can't say.

Let’s further complicate matters. Safety print vs original YCM+S.

RJGT

Agent
Real Name
Richard Todd
Great news. One of the all-time best films and a joy to watch at any time, so seeing it in its spiffed up condition should be a real treat. Amazon Canada lists it as "Currently unavailable" (which is actually a step up for some of the recent classic pre-orders that just weren't listed until they were just about to be released or had already been released). Order placed on U.S. Amazon site, which will add some delay to it getting here to Canada but that will just build the anticipation.

Clay_E

Second Unit
B-ROLL and Robert Crawford -- thanks for the posts! I ordered mine from Target for 15 bucks and change after tax, with free shipping. Can't wait to see this one!

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I just pre-ordered 'The Thin Man' from Amazon (through the HTF link) and was surprised to see $3.58 of "Extra Savings" automatically added to my order. That knocked the price down to $14.41 plus tax. I have absolutely zero idea why I received a $3.58 discount. It had nothing to do with my payment method and wasn't listed as a promotional item. It simply said "Extra Savings" next to the discount. 'The Thin Man' was the only item in my cart.

Given my negative experiences with Target's online store, I was fully ready to just pay $17.99 through Amazon. Screw Target online and good luck to everyone that used them!

Mark

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just pre-ordered 'The Thin Man' from Amazon (through the HTF link) and was surprised to see $3.58 of "Extra Savings" automatically added to my order. That knocked the price down to $14.41 plus tax. I have absolutely zero idea why I received a $3.58 discount. It had nothing to do with my payment method and wasn't listed as a promotional item. It simply said "Extra Savings" next to the discount. 'The Thin Man' was the only item in my cart.

Given my negative experiences with Target's online store, I was fully ready to just pay $17.99 through Amazon. Screw Target online and good luck to everyone that used them!

Mark

I know that the $3.58 was deducted during Prime Days sale. I was not aware it was still active.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
To me, it's a Christmas classic, so I'll be filing the Blu-Ray in my Christmas section. My DVD box set will stay intact with the DVD box sets. This review is such good news!

I'm in full agreement. The Thin Man is normally shown in my household on either Christmas or Christmas Eve, often on a double bill with the original Miracle on 34th Street. Of course, a few days later After the Thin Man is the selection for New Years. I have the new blu-ray on pre-order, but I'll be setting it aside for Christmas.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

Mark
They're matching Target's current 20% off select DVD/BR titles with that extra discount. By putting it in that way it doesn't show up in "low price search engines" so they won't get a "run" on them. I don't know if they're doing it on every title in Target's sale but it *is* there for The Thin Man and the Space 1999 BR complete series.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yep, I went there this morning and canceled my original pre-order and ordered it again and immediately got the new price saving those few precious dollars in the process. This may have put me in the back of the queue, however, when Amazon begins filling orders meaning I may not get it when Target folks do. We'll see.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
As for me, when I saw that Warner Archive was issuing "The Thin Man" on Blu-Ray, I did my usual thing and called up my local independent video retailer, Videomatica, asking them to hold one for me when it comes in. It works perfectly for me, but more importantly so do the human beings who work at Videomatica. They also get to get paid, eat, have homes, buy "The Thin Man" Blu-Rays of their own, etc.. I mean, God bless my Home Theatre Forum friends who are maximizing their Blu-Ray dollars (so they can get as many Blu-Rays as their budgets will allow) (and boy, do I understand that one) but as long as I can support a local video retailer I'm going to. I'll be sorry if Jeff Bezos or Joe Bob Target can't quite afford their next $38 billion divorce because of me, but we all have to make sacrifices.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree with you -- this is one of the all time great films -- period. I downloaded from Amazon and it looked good. I wonder if this will be even better.
I watched this film every year around Christmas time and during the year I will watch segments of it while channel surfing.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys I’m a little confused.

The last few posts sounded like you guys actually received your Thin Man blu rays. So I thought I’d try to order as I’d been waiting for availability to order. Whenever I looked at Amazon, it says ships in 5 weeks or a version of that. Which led me to think Amazon was feuding with Warner too. I was trying to figure out the same about Gaslight. But I see The Thin Man will be released on July 30th. And for Gaslight, Amazon shows shipping in two to five weeks. But Best Buy can ship right away as it was released June 25th. So I thought The Thin Man was shipping, but Amazon is delaying shipping for whatever reasons.

So how I see it now, The Thin Man is not actually shipping yet as it’s not released till July 30th. Gaslight is released and it might be easier to purchase at venues other then Amazon.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Hey guys I’m a little confused.

The last few posts sounded like you guys actually received your Thin Man blu rays. So I thought I’d try to order as I’d been waiting for availability to order. Whenever I looked at Amazon, it says ships in 5 weeks or a version of that. Which led me to think Amazon was feuding with Warner too. I was trying to figure out the same about Gaslight. But I see The Thin Man will be released on July 30th. And for Gaslight, Amazon shows shipping in two to five weeks. But Best Buy can ship right away as it was released June 25th. So I thought The Thin Man was shipping, but Amazon is delaying shipping for whatever reasons.

So how I see it now, The Thin Man is not actually shipping yet as it’s not released till July 30th. Gaslight is released and it might be easier to purchase at venues other then Amazon.

People are pre-ordering it, but I don't see that anyone has gotten it yet. It definitely doesn't come out until July 30...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks