What's new

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Yes, it is a shame the entr'afe wasn't done correctly. It's disappointing that these studios keep messing these types of things up (WEST SIDE STORY comes to mind). To correctly label a release "road show" they should get these things right.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
The sad fact is that the people who are creating these discs probably do not have any concept of what a roadshow was. Aside from the recent HATEFUL EIGHT release, films released using the road show concept have been extremely rare since the early 1970's. Add to this that a term like "entre' acte" is largely unknown. I remember a recent blu ray review (not on this forum) where the writer talked about how much he liked the "entre' acte at the end of the film." Utterly clueless, but at age 65 I realize that there are a lot of things have been lost to time. Still I don't understand if the SWEET CHARITY dvd included the entre' acte music why they would drop it for the blu ray.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Thoroughly Modern Millie (also from Universal) actually gained exit music when it came out on DVD. I had the laserdisc, and it had overture and intermission music, but not exit music. I nearly fell off my chair when I first got the DVD when that music started to play after the end title. And not only, that but the exit music on the DVD is different from what is labeled as exit music on the soundtrack LP. So I suppose it depends on who is doing the mastering since it seems inconsistent from one edition to another.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Let’s start a “When I Fell Off My Chair” thread. My experience came when after seeing “Kid Millions” a dozen times on an old black and white TV, I finally saw it on a new colour set when I moved away from home. I did not know that the final real was in brilliant eye hurting technicolor! At last Eddie and Ethel were revealed! (A lot of heavy make up though!) I basically gave a big hoot and felt like audiences in the theatre must have at the time.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
With awareness towards the Kino Lorber thread having its strict guidelines, I wonder if it is permissible and within the boundaries to ask "Insider" if they are aware of the missing Entr'acte and Exit Music; as well as asking if they might be willing to postpone the release of "Sweet Charity", until Universal could re-instate the missing musical portions onto a corrected transfer and BD? Any suggestions from a Moderator? After all, "Sweet Charity" has not yet been officially released; according to the cited street date; so, perhaps, its not too late for the corrections to take place.

Last edited:

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
Although I'm also disappointed with the potential lack of entr'acte/exit music, I assume by "roadshow version," what they're referring to is the long version with all the montages as opposed to the shorter general release version.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I’m unaware of any roadshows that had cards identifying music.

How might one run/see them?

With the curtains closed.

Scrim

I definitely remember an overture of a roadshow film having an overture with some hind of image under a scrim in one of the old theaters in Baltimore in the 60's. Could have been The Ten Commandments or Ben Hur.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I wish I could like this movie more- Sweet Charity- but Chita Rivera and Paula Kelly just completely steal the film in every scene they're in. I find the rest of the movie kind of ridiculous but will still get it for their 2 numbers alone and the noted reference quality as stated by RAH..

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
I saw "Sweet Charity" in December 1969 in 70mm at the Cinema 70 in St. Cloud, Minn. I was 14 and completely dazzled by the film. The sound was spectacular! The intermission had been seamlessly edited out. So, no entr'ate. Otherwise the complete roadshow with overture and exit music. I was surprised to see it when I bought the laserdisc in 1992. With the laserdisc I was able to make a really complete soundtrack album on my computer and burn it to a CD. Now it's a prized part of my iTunes.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Scrim

I definitely remember an overture of a roadshow film having an overture with some hind of image under a scrim in one of the old theaters in Baltimore in the 60's. Could have been The Ten Commandments or Ben Hur.

Neither of those films had overture images - I don't know a single roadshow film that did. Movie theaters did not have "scrims" - they had curtains.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Neither of those films had overture images - I don't know a single roadshow film that did. Movie theaters did not have "scrims" - they had curtains.
West Side Story and Star! are the only ones I recall that did, oh, and the short passage in My Fair Lady before the Warner Bros. Logo. That’s all I know and Bruce is correct, Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur were black screens so the curtain could be over them. Ten Commandments had a small overture, just over a minute, then CB DeMille had his on screen intro.

Reactions: PMF

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
OK, Overture titles were added for home video so people wouldn’t get confused over hearing music and seeing a black screen. Same with the Entr'acte and Exit Music titles. Only West Side Story, Star! And My Fair Lady had an image during the Overture. I am sure RAH and Bruce can correct me if I’m wrong.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel

Didn’t you read what RAH said earlier? My Fair Lady had overture images- flowers.

And a scrim is a second layer that coexists with a curtain and I am almost certain that layout existed in Baltimore where one theater actually had a curtain (only) that raised from the bottom up. It was either I think The New or The Hippodrome.
Does anyone remember whether the Ziegfeld in NYC had such a two curtain process- a big velvet red curtain with a secondary scrim underneath?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Didn’t you read what RAH said earlier? My Fair Lady had overture images- flowers.

And a scrim is a second layer that coexists with a curtain and I am almost certain that layout existed in Baltimore where one theater actually had a curtain (only) that raised from the bottom up. It was either I think The New or The Hippodrome.
Does anyone remember whether the Ziegfeld in NYC had such a two curtain process- a big velvet red curtain with a secondary scrim underneath?

Well, see, I don't really consider that a standard overture - same with West Side - those two were DESIGNED to have the curtains open so those designed sequences could be seen.

I understand exactly what you're saying about two curtains - I believe the Paramount (now the El Capitan) had a front curtain that went up and then a secondary curtain that parted to the side. But that's not what a scrim is - a scrim isn't really a curtain, at least I've never heard it described thusly - it's a live theater thing, something that when lit from the front is opaque and when lit from the rear can be seen through.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks