What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Seven Days in May -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Seriously!? If I misunderstood your point, fair enough, but why has your tone suddenly become sarcastically insulting?
One reason is because I'm in a bad mood when I should be asleep, but my insomnia is not cooperating. Another, I find making comments on forum's frustrating at times because you can't make a simple comment without it being questioned by others. I know it's the internet, but having conversations on a keyboard is not optimal in getting your point across so others properly understand what you're trying to convey to them. It is my fault for not being more concise with my point, but it's still frustrating. Sorry about that.

Reactions: PMF

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
One reason is because I'm in a bad mood when I should be asleep, but my insomnia is not cooperating. Another, I find making comments on forum's frustrating at times because you can't make a simple comment without it being questioned by others. I know it's the internet, but having conversations on a keyboard is not optimal in getting your point across so others properly understand what you're trying to convey to them. It is my fault for not being more concise with my point, but it's still frustrating. Sorry about that.

No worries, Robert. I appreciate your reply.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I don't recall even a mediocre performance from him. You could say he's always average...for him, which is better than most. He was very good in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.

I just checked my DVD Profiler database out of curiosity to see which films in my collection O'Brien appeared in. I didn't realize he played Freddie Sykes in The Wild Bunch.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm sorry to change the topic but don't know where else to post this- but I just left Radio City Music Hall tonight and saw the 4K Robert Harris restorations of Godfather and Godfather II and want to thank you Mr Harris from the bottom of my heart for an experience I will never forget. It was gorgeous up on the screen there. The visual and the sound were impeccable on that immense screen as projected in that venue.
Radio City must show more film!
Thank you thank you. Bravo!

My pleasure. I'll pass along your kind words to the crew.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Do you happen to know what they showed it from? 35mm? DCP? Blu-ray?

I attended a screening of Blazing Saddles with Mel Brooks live in person for Q&A last year at Radio City. Brooks was hilarious, but the presentation of the movie was abysmal. They were showing it from the Blu-ray, and the image just couldn't hold up on a screen that large. I avoided this screening in part because that one looked so terrible, but considering your report, I'll have to give Radio City a second chance next time they have an interesting screening.

The DCPs were run via a stacked pair of 4k projectors to allow enough illumination.

Hopefully, GF2 was run with the intermission in place.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
The DCPs were run via a stacked pair of 4k projectors to allow enough illumination.

Hopefully, GF2 was run with the intermission in place.

There wasn't an intermission for GF2 but i could tell where one might have been. Many took breaks myself included (luckily I had an aisle seat in the break section) and we were running up and down those carpeted stairs like squirrels. The panel (Keaton, Caan, Coppola, Pacino, , Duvall, Shire and De Niro) began promptly after GF2 finished at around 8:20. I had to leave at 9:30 - I was starving at that point especially with all the food references in the films. We had an hour break between GF and GF2 but I'da eaten very little.

It was completely sold out- the orchestra and all 3 tiers were filled with lovers of cinema and those films. The audience participation was fantastic - I'd never realized how much humor was in GF.

It was bright and sharply detailed and really gorgeous, and the sound was rich and very full with deep bass.

Finally you were richly applauded during the credits - for both films- and from me most enthusiatistically.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There wasn't an intermission for GF2 but i could tell where one might have been. Many took breaks myself included (luckily I had an aisle seat in the break section) and we were running up and down those carpeted stairs like squirrels. The panel (Keaton, Caan, Coppola, Pacino, , Duvall, Shire and De Niro) began promptly after GF2 finished at around 8:20. I had to leave at 9:30 - I was starving at that point especially with all the food references in the films. We had an hour break between GF and GF2 but I'da eaten very little.

It was completely sold out- the orchestra and all 3 tiers were filled with lovers of cinema and those films. The audience participation was fantastic - I'd never realized how much humor was in GF.

It was bright and sharply detailed and really gorgeous, and the sound was rich and very full with deep bass.

Finally you were richly applauded during the credits - for both films- and from me most enthusiatistically.

A pity about the intermission.

It's perfectly placed, beginning with Mr. Pacino sitting on the stairs with a child (as I recall) on his lap.

Part 2 begins with the Imperial entering the Tahoe grounds.

Not only works beautifully, but is necessary for a 200 minute film.

Reactions: PMF

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I found the performances in this movie to be all around top-notch. I do find the Ava Gardner sub-plot a bit unneeded. Pretty sure her character was in the novel, but they could used the running time for other things.

I decided to re-read the novel before watching the Blu-ray. In the novel Eleanor Holbrook appears around the half-way mark and she spends one evening (a few hours) in her apartment in New York with Jiggs Casey. There is a bit of a back story about her and Jiggs getting it on a couple of years earlier, and she knows some people who know General Scott. I still have about 100 pages to go and I don't recall if she makes another appearance. In the book Eleanor is in her late twenties but Ava Gardner was 41 when the film was released.

Incidentally, the Wikipedia entry for the film claims that Rod Serling came up with the name "Art Corwin" for the head of White House Secret Service detail, but in fact he is named "Art Corwin" in the novel.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I decided to re-read the novel before watching the Blu-ray. In the novel Eleanor Holbrook appears around the half-way mark and she spends one evening (a few hours) in her apartment in New York with Jiggs Casey. There is a bit of a back story about her and Jiggs getting it on a couple of years earlier, and she knows some people who know General Scott. I still have about 100 pages to go and I don't recall if she makes another appearance. In the book Eleanor is in her late twenties but Ava Gardner was 41 when the film was released.

Incidentally, the Wikipedia entry for the film claims that Rod Serling came up with the name "Art Corwin" for the head of White House Secret Service detail, but in fact he is named "Art Corwin" in the novel.
I read the wikipedia article on the original movie and learned that HBO did a remake called The Enemy Within. It Starred Forest Whitaker as the Jiggs character (Mac), Sam Waterson (the Prez), and Dana Delaney (Chief of Staff to the Prez). I watched it tonight. I didn't buy any of them in their roles. Forest Whitaker was very miscast.

The original took it's time setting up Jigg's suspicions and his revelatory conversation with the President also took it's time. The remake rushed everything. It added an unnecessary domestic issue for Mac. I was only able to watch half before I tired of it.

The remake did one thing I thought was an improvement. In the original I always thought there was one problem. The idea of American troops participating in a coup. I've always thought that a big strength of our county is that our soldiers are citizens first and they would not overthrow their commander. The original is just so good, I've ignored it.

In the remake, Mac says the troops wouldn't participate in a coup. There would have to be a legal basis. I really bought into that idea. Unfortunately, it's the only thing about the remake I bought into.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] It was completely sold out- the orchestra and all 3 tiers were filled with lovers of cinema and those films. The audience participation was fantastic - I'd never realized how much humor was in GF.[...]
My eyes are seeing far more than 3 tears for not even knowing about this event.
Thank God my duration of midnight shifts and a paltry paying job has ended;
as I hope to never miss out on a "Godfather" panel or a "Napoleon" with a live orchestra, again.
Of course, I can not even imagine such future events could ever top these two.
BTW, will "The Godfather" I and II be showcased nationally?

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
The remake did one thing I thought was an improvement. In the original I always thought there was one problem. The idea of American troops participating in a coup. I've always thought that a big strength of our county is that our soldiers are citizens first and they would not overthrow their commander. The original is just so good, I've ignored it.

In the remake, Mac says the troops wouldn't participate in a coup. There would have to be a legal basis. I really bought into that idea. Unfortunately, it's the only thing about the remake I bought into.

Fair enough, but that assumes that the troops know what the operation really is. I doubt that during their training they were told that their objective was to take down the president. Mutt Henderson was the Executive Officer at the secret base and he didn't know the real purpose of the alert. Soldiers and sailors are expected to obey orders without questioning them.

Incidentally, I finished the book and Eleanor Holbrook makes one final but very brief appearance during the president's speech.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Fair enough, but that assumes that the troops know what the operation really is. I doubt that during their training they were told that their objective was to take down the president. Mutt Henderson was the Executive Officer at the secret base and he didn't know the real purpose of the alert. Soldiers and sailors are expected to obey orders without questioning them.

Incidentally, I finished the book and Eleanor Holbrook makes one final but very brief appearance during the president's speech.
What are the troops going to be thinking as they seize American communication centers? I think they figure it out. They "seizure" training they've been doing? I'll bet they don't think they will be operating on US Soil.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
What are the troops going to be thinking as they seize American communication centers? I think they figure it out. They "seizure" training they've been doing? I'll bet they don't think they will be operating on US Soil.

They'd be told that the enemy has infiltrated the communication networks and the Army has been ordered to get them back into USA control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks