What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Seven Days in May -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As a follow-up to The Manchurian Candidate (1964), John Frankenheimer gave us Seven Days in May, a taught, brilliantly acted drama, involving a possible military takeover of the American government.

Governmental hijinks seemed to be in vogue, as it was released within a month of Dr. Strangelove.

Unlike Mr. Kubrick's work, Seven Days had zero dark humor.

I've always loved this film, and Warner Archive's new Blu-ray does it proud.

While viewing, I was wondering if the image harvest was taken directly from the OCN. It's that good. Turns out it's a recent, extremely well made, fine grain.

The cast reads like a textbook of fine actors.

Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Fredric March, Ava Gardner, Martin Balsam, as well as the initial feature appearance of John Houseman, and what I presume was Edmond O'Brien's return to the screen after his illness, which took him away from the role of Bentley in Lawrence of Arabia. He can still be seen in a short or two.

For those unfamiliar with Seven Days, just go for it.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Great film and Burt Lancaster in one of his best performances.
I found the performances in this movie to be all around top-notch. I do find the Ava Gardner sub-plot a bit unneeded. Pretty sure her character was in the novel, but they could used the running time for other things.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This just went on my list. Love these sorts of movies, and never had the chance to catch this once, except for five minutes here and there on cable "formatted to fit this screen, to run in the time allotted and edited from content."

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
I far prefer 7 Days to Manchurian.
Kirk Douglas' dressing down of Burt, riveting.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but is Edmund O'Brien THE most under-rated actor?
Every film I've seen him in whether the lead or supporting, he's consistently perfect for the character.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
I'm just curious here: does this release have the original Paramount logos intact at both the beginning and the end of the movie?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but is Edmund O'Brien THE most under-rated actor?
Every film I've seen him in whether the lead or supporting, he's consistently perfect for the character.
I don't recall even a mediocre performance from him. You could say he's always average...for him, which is better than most. He was very good in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Every film I've seen him in whether the lead or supporting, he's consistently perfect for the character
He's like Robert Ryan, both were very underrated.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
He's like Robert Ryan, both were very underrated.

Just my opinion, of course, but I don't agree that they were alike.

I enjoy Edmond O'Brien in several roles, but I don't find his performances anywhere near as riveting as Robert Ryan's, although I agree both were underrated.

I'd blind-buy a movie just because Robert Ryan appears in it. I wouldn't with Edmond O'Brien.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I'm sorry to change the topic but don't know where else to post this- but I just left Radio City Music Hall tonight and saw the 4K Robert Harris restorations of Godfather and Godfather II and want to thank you Mr Harris from the bottom of my heart for an experience I will never forget. It was gorgeous up on the screen there. The visual and the sound were impeccable on that immense screen as projected in that venue.
Radio City must show more film!
Thank you thank you. Bravo!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Do you happen to know what they showed it from? 35mm? DCP? Blu-ray?

I attended a screening of Blazing Saddles with Mel Brooks live in person for Q&A last year at Radio City. Brooks was hilarious, but the presentation of the movie was abysmal. They were showing it from the Blu-ray, and the image just couldn't hold up on a screen that large. I avoided this screening in part because that one looked so terrible, but considering your report, I'll have to give Radio City a second chance next time they have an interesting screening.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just my opinion, of course, but I don't agree that they were alike.

I enjoy Edmond O'Brien in several roles, but I don't find his performances anywhere near as riveting as Robert Ryan's, although I agree both were underrated.

I'd blind-buy a movie just because Robert Ryan appears in it. I wouldn't with Edmond O'Brien.
That's my point! I'm not saying they're equals in acting ability, but what I am saying is that neither actor was given their proper due during their respective careers. Is that clear enough for you? Now, that's just my opinion.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
That's my point! I'm not saying they're equals in acting ability, but what I am saying is that neither actor was given their proper due during their respective careers. Is that clear enough for you? Now, that's just my opinion.
And yet, O'Brien won an Academy Award. Ryan, unfortunately, never did.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And yet, O'Brien won an Academy Award. Ryan, unfortunately, never did.
Don't get me started about the Oscars. Anyhow, it helped that On the Waterfront probably split the votes for that O'Brien Oscar. Three actors from the same film nominated in the same category bodes well for the other two nominees.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

Seriously!? If I misunderstood your point, fair enough, but why has your tone suddenly become sarcastically insulting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brasspineapple
Recent bookmarks