What's new

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Here is the incomplete last Monroe film, "Something's Got To Give" put together for a documentary, A remake of " My Favorite Wife" in case in you want to see the entire story. Or " Move Over Darling" with Doris Day and James Garner , who replaced Monroe and Martin after Monroe's death.

Thanks for posting!!!!

Jeffrey Lee Pressman

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey Lee Pressman
As Marilyn Monroe's penultimate film, and her last in color, and her final completed film for Fox (her final work was the extraordinary The Misfits, which should not be missed), it has an interesting place in history.

Great film?

Not by a long shot.

But...

There's treasure to be mined here.

With a film starring Marilyn and Yves Montand, the one actor that would never appear might be Milton Berle.

But he does.

And he's terrific.

Literally stealing the film away from the two stars.

Add Bing Crosby and Gene Kelly (as themselves), brought in to try to help Montand learn to act, and one can only wonder what director George Cukor might have done with a better screenplay.

As a disc, the Twilight Time release is okay.

Sound is fine, but image is problematic, appearing as overall faded, with almost non-existent blacks, and shadows disappearing into the backgrounds.

Not horrible, but noticeable.

Might the film have been worth a full-blown restoration?

Not sure.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Upgrade from DVD - Probably

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Jeffrey Lee Pressman

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey Lee Pressman
Let's Make Love is one of those films that came on my 13" Zenith portable b/w TV late at night in my room circa 1964. As a young theater hopeful, what I loved about this picture were all the ambient details of an off off Broadway playhouse cobbling together a revue, although the role of the director in the story (what I went on to become) is unrealistically harsh and uncollaborative. I like too the plot premise, taking a half page from Sullivan's Travels, of the exotic billionaire going slumming for love at first sight but having to prove his worth not with roses and bracelets but by learning to take (and deliver) a joke. Have we seen that plot variation overused? Marilyn here to my eye is what we used to call "pneumatic" or "opulent" -- when such terms were compliments. I find her on-screen presence mesmerizing, archetypally so, and this little picture became for me an instant guilty pleasure. So... can anybody offer news of the Let's Make Love blu-ray on Signal One, UK that I heard would drop in Dec 2019? Any reviews of that? I'm hoping it will outshine the Twilight Time across the board, especially picture and extras, and there's no rush, it appears, on this title at Twilight Time. This being my initial post here, IU hope I did it correctly, and will get an email if and when anybody replies. Really enjoyed the thread. - JLP

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Let's Make Love is one of those films that came on my 13" Zenith portable b/w TV late at night in my room circa 1964. As a young theater hopeful, what I loved about this picture were all the ambient details of an off off Broadway playhouse cobbling together a revue, although the role of the director in the story (what I went on to become) is unrealistically harsh and uncollaborative. I like too the plot premise, taking a half page from Sullivan's Travels, of the exotic billionaire going slumming for love at first sight but having to prove his worth not with roses and bracelets but by learning to take (and deliver) a joke. Have we seen that plot variation overused? Marilyn here to my eye is what we used to call "pneumatic" or "opulent" -- when such terms were compliments. I find her on-screen presence mesmerizing, archetypally so, and this little picture became for me an instant guilty pleasure. So... can anybody offer news of the Let's Make Love blu-ray on Signal One, UK that I heard would drop in Dec 2019? Any reviews of that? I'm hoping it will outshine the Twilight Time across the board, especially picture and extras, and there's no rush, it appears, on this title at Twilight Time. This being my initial post here, IU hope I did it correctly, and will get an email if and when anybody replies. Really enjoyed the thread. - JLP

welcome Jeffrey!
I have this title on dvd and hope to eventually pick up the blu ray. Love Marilyn’s films!
I actually had never seen this one until about a year ago.

I just upgraded my copy of Some Like It Hot and hope to watch that one when Christmas movies season ends!!

Jeffrey Lee Pressman

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey Lee Pressman
welcome Jeffrey!
I have this title on dvd and hope to eventually pick up the blu ray. Love Marilyn’s films!
I actually had never seen this one until about a year ago.

I just upgraded my copy of Some Like It Hot and hope to watch that one when Christmas movies season ends!!

Did you go for the Criterion of Some Like It Hot?

Jeffrey Lee Pressman

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey Lee Pressman

Thanks, I think. I mean, your so-so review of the Twilight Time, coupled with news that the UK Signal One BD was cancelled, probably close the door on Let's Make Love. At this point I suppose I'll just wait through the TT discount scheme, in which Let's Make Love now sits at $19.95 (with, apparently, 2900 copies left). How low will it go? I'm guessing that TT had higher hopes for this title. Then again, I had higher hopes for TT.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks, I think. I mean, your so-so review of the Twilight Time, coupled with news that the UK Signal One BD was cancelled, probably close the door on Let's Make Love. At this point I suppose I'll just wait through the TT discount scheme, in which Let's Make Love now sits at $19.95 (with, apparently, 2900 copies left). How low will it go? I'm guessing that TT had higher hopes for this title. Then again, I had higher hopes for TT.

If the Marilyn titles knock and some like it hot were $15 I would’ve picked them up this season.
There’s always so much to buy during this season. I tend to wait during the year. However I did hit several sales in the fall for other titles before November too. Part of it was getting a 4k tv in August.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks