What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jackie -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I remember when I was very young, and my mother would take me along to visit one of her cousins. It was generally summer, and I'd be wearing shorts.

I never enjoyed the visits, as the woman had all of her furniture covered in clear plastic covers -- only they were no longer clear.

And I'd always stick to them.

Possibly because of that memory, I've never been a fan of slipcovers, or slipcases, unless there was something special about them. And I didn't stick to them.

That's the case with Fox's new Blu-ray release of Pablo Larrain's Jackie, which is me is almost a tone poem about Jackie Kennedy, and the era surrounding the time of the assassination.

Natalie Portman's performance, as has been reported, is exquisite.

The poster art, which I've heard has caused a world-wide shortage in red ink, adorns both the Blu-ray package, as well as the slipcase, which is beautifully designed, and almost velvet-like to the touch. Not a chance of sticking to this.

The film was shot on S16, and finished as a 2k DI. Since studio work was shot in France, the film was apparently processed at Technicolor there -- a lab still processing fillum!

Since the final source is the 2k DI, the resultant Blu-ray is perfection.

A wonderful film in all respects, that deserves to seen.

Image - 5

Audio -5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
When I was 13 and in middle school in Chappaqua, NY, and in my home room just prior to dismissal for the day, this news surfaced, and the homeroom teacher played back the news report. There was absolute silence, and I stupidly quipped, "Poor Caroline." which resulted in an admonishment in front of the rest of the class.

I do not know what compelled me to make such a remark. But it wasn't long before I realized the gravity of the situation. Holy shit! Our president had been killed. At 13, most kids aren't very politically astute, and I certainly wasn't. But I think our education system needs a much-expanded Civics curriculum.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] as the woman had all of her furniture covered in clear plastic covers -- only they were no longer clear.
Even as a child, it seems that your eye was already taking in all forms of transparencies that required the removal of dirt, scratches and debris.;)

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I remember my grade school principal coming into our class room and telling us to go home because the President had been shot. I won't ever forget her crying face from that day.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
It was shown in 1:66. Very good film with a central performance that outshone the eventual AA winner, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks