What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ The Little Rascals, Volume 2 – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Classic Flix is becoming the go-to purveyor of early shorts with their second volume of the Our Gang comedies, re-titled Little Rascals via (as I recall) a change in ownership.

To get the elephant in the room out of the way, these seem to be digital restorations, which takes the films more than half way through the process of preservation. While they look lovely on the new Blu-ray, I have doubts that they've been recorded back to film. But that wouldn't (and shouldn't) be the responsibility of Classic Flix. It should be financed by the owner of the IP. I'm also not convinced that in all cases, the finest possible film elements were accessed, as that would necessitated an even high cost for CF. Again, not their fault. Considering all of the potential inherent problems in Classic Flix's path, this is a home run.

What we have here are eleven shots from 1930-31, that all else aside, look far better than they have in probably 75 years.

For those unfamiliar with the series, you'll find that while they creak a bit with age and early sound, they're still fun.

One of the kids is named Jackie Cooper, who joined the Our Gang team in 1929, leaving in 1931 to star as the child lead in Paramount's Skippy. The same year, he made The Champ with Wallace Beery at M-G-M. He was 9 years-old. He seemed to move around a bit, working for different studios and production entities. In 1940 he appeared in The Return of Frank James, as well as Life with Henry (as Henry Aldrich).

Years later, there was an adult actor, using the same name, who appeared as Perry White in the Superman films.

Unless one is fearful of black & white and early sound, this is a very worthwhile series, and kudos to Classic Flix for ponying up to make these films look great for Blu-ray.

Image – 4.5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely!

Highly Recommended

RAH

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Can't wait to get this. I pre-ordered months ago, but I've been told it's been put on hold again for several weeks. I wonder what happened. The release date has once again been moved.

ilovenola2

Agent
Real Name
Joe Bonelli
Classic Flix is becoming the go-to purveyor of early shorts with their second volume of the Our Gang comedies, re-titled Little Rascals via (as I recall) a change in ownership.

To get the elephant in the room out of the way, these seem to be digital restorations, which takes the films more than half way through the process of preservation. While they look lovely on the new Blu-ray, I have doubts that they've been recorded back to film. But that wouldn't (and shouldn't) be the responsibility of Classic Flix. It should be financed by the owner of the IP. I'm also not convinced that in all cases, the finest possible film elements were accessed, as that would necessitated an even high cost for CF. Again, not their fault. Considering all of the potential inherent problems in Classic Flix's path, this is a home run.

What we have here are eleven shots from 1930-31, that all else aside, look far better than they have in probably 75 years.

For those unfamiliar with the series, you'll find that while they creak a bit with age and early sound, they're still fun.

One of the kids is named Jackie Cooper, who joined the Our Gang team in 1929, leaving in 1931 to star as the child lead in Paramount's Skippy. The same year, he made The Champ with Wallace Beery at M-G-M. He was 9 years-old. He seemed to move around a bit, working for different studios and production entities. In 1940 he appeared in The Return of Frank James, as well as Life with Henry (as Henry Aldrich).

Years later, there was an adult actor, using the same name, who appeared as Perry White in the Superman films.

Unless one is fearful of black & white and early sound, this is a very worthwhile series, and kudos to Classic Flix for ponying up to make these films look great for Blu-ray.

Image – 4.5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely!

Highly Recommended

RAH
Got my copy too and it's great.

FYI. Jackie Cooper became one of the biggest child stars of the 1930s, was the youngest nominee for Best Actor (Skippy).

Later he was a force in '50s TV, starring in and producing two successful series and, yes, he later played Daily Planet editor Perry White in the Christopher Reeve "Superman" films. Jackie was a major player his entire life-- a child star who did quite well as an adult.
And his crush on Miss Crabtree in the Rascals series is poignantly sweet. The Rascals charm! Don't miss them.

moviepas

Supporting Actor

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Haven't got mine of V1&V2 yet which is from the ClassicFlix as the owner wants everyone to do. Ordered singularly and the two DVDs on Pre-order on his site.
Can't quite tell from your post, but if you pre-ordered something nothing will ship until the release date of the pre-order items.

If you mean you pre-ordered Vols 1 & 2 by themselves and you don't have them yet, then you should contact them directly.

https://www.classicflix.com/contacts

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks