1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Fistful of Dollars -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, May 12, 2018.

1. Message #1 of 118 May 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2018
    Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Fistful of Dollars, was the earliest of the Clint Eastwood / Sergio Leone Italian western imports.

There were thousands that followed, mostly with unidentified talent, and sold packaged with the better films, if you wanted those for distribution.

It was photographed in Techniscope, 35/2.

For those unaware, the process, designed by Technicolor, specifically for dye transfer 35/4 anamorphic prints, allowed a production to shoot in scope format, using 50% of the raw footage, and end up with 35/4 anamorphic dye transfer prints for distribution. Generally, the process worked well, with the exception of a more grainy appearance.

The antithesis of Technicolor's majestic Technirama process, it was used for low budget productions, first appearing in films such as Gladiators 7, an Italian production released in October of 1962, and arriving in the U.S. in May of 1964.

Also, in 1964 it was used (strangely) for Paramount's Roustabout, as well as Fistful of Dollars, released in Italy in September of 1964, and in the U.S. in January of 1967.

It would become the standard of many beloved "spaghetti" westerns.

Fistful was produced on a tiny budget, which can be seen in obvious problems with Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray.

Constantly shifting colors, and lack of overall color continuity, may be processing problems - they tend toward yellow, mixed with cyan-blue - along with what appears to be light struck shots, possibly some sort of camera or later optical problem, as the bottom of certain shots flares to yellow-orange.

Those fans of the genre will want to add this film to their libraries, but be forewarned that quality is all over the map, presumably based upon MGM's transfer, as delivered to Kino.

Image - 2

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Fail

Upgrade from DVD - Doubtful, unless there is a need

RAH

2. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    :( Poor Sergio:(

3. atfree

atfree Producer

Alex
    I have the MGM trilogy release on BD...looks like I'll be keeping it.

Osato and PMF like this.
  4. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Look how many disc versions of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly have been released.

Peter Keller and Osato like this.
  5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    While I have no info re: the collection, Kino's single disc does offer a large grouping of extras, which might make it worthwhile for the serious collector.

Osato, SAhmed and PMF like this.
  6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Sigh. I don't think I will ever live long enough to see a proper release of The Man With No Name Trilogy films.

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    All it takes is a small to moderate budget. Not a huge deal.

“It’s only a matter of going”

Peter Keller, Dave H, DavidJ and 3 others like this.
  8. Message #8 of 118 May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Indeed, and with each separate transfer being rated the same; as in Good, Bad or Ugly.:D

9. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    If this will make your day, you're still further ahead of the game than Sergio.;)

Peter Keller and Osato like this.
  10. CobraVerde

CobraVerde Stunt Coordinator

Chad
    The region-free German double feature blu of Fistful/Few Dollars More is still the best looking version out there. It looks quite nice.

11. SAhmed

SAhmed Supporting Actor

Shakeel
    I agree as they are certainly my "goto" releases whenever I want to watch these classics (although I have quite a few releases on Dvd/Blu/Laserdisc)!

Of course disappointed to learn about the image quality so I will not be going there (I probably wasn't going following Kino's attempt at "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly" anyway). Hopefully, we will one day, see worthy release of the trilogy - maybe a 4K release will provide the opportunity/excuse :) for these and other Leone masterpieces!

Regards,

Osato likes this.
  12. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I will just say that an Italian Blu restoration came out a few years ago that I thought looked terrific, best I've seen the film look on home video. So, what is this thing?

13. NegativeCreep

Jordan
    The one on the Kino is a newer restoration made a few years back and was presented at Cannes. The Italian Blu-ray is from a 2007 restoration by Ripley's Home Video where their goal was to accurately recreate the original look of the film. The restoration seen on the Kino was done by L'Imaggine Ritrovata/Cineteca di Bologna who also did the newest restorations of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Duck, You Sucker and Once Upon a Time in America which have all been met with similar criticisms.

14. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Pity...

Osato likes this.
  15. Scott Merryfield

Is this the version you own? It states Region B, but I know that Amazon is not always accurate regarding that information.

Osato likes this.
  16. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    If you can find the Ripley you should get it - not sure if that was also used for the German, but it's really good. The "restoration" of Once Upon a Time in America is a joke and one of the worst things I've ever seen - it would have Mr. Leone and Mr. Dellli Colli turning in their graves - a complete travesty.

Dave H likes this.
  17. SAhmed

SAhmed Supporting Actor

Shakeel
    I don't have this double bill - I have the individual releases and yes they are Region Free specifically both A and B. I have 3 modified Oppos but Blu Ray media only for Regions A and B (currently :) )

In terms of Special Edition release, my favorite is from Italy with neat packaging, booklet and picture cards!

Regards,

18. Trancas

Trancas Stunt Coordinator

Eric
    [​IMG]
    I like the German Amazon listings because they usually have shots of the back cover. This one states it's Regions A,B,C.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  19. Scott Merryfield

I went ahead and ordered the German double feature version. It was a pretty good deal at under $20 including shipping.

Dave H likes this.
  20. Message #20 of 118 May 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2018
    You definitely will not be disappointed with the transfers. Both films were -if I remember correctly- restored by Torsten Kaiser from TLEfilms in Berlin for the German market along with "My Name is Nobody" with Henry Fonda and the weaker sequel "A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe" (without Fonda).

https://www.amazon.de/Mein-Name-ist-Nobody-Blu-ray/dp/B009X47QZ6

They are older scans in HD 1080 24 psf, but done with perfection. I really do appreciate the work of Torsten Kaiser, who gave us the meticulous restoration of Fritz Lang's "M".

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/m-1931-fritz-lang-80th-anniversary-restoration.300983/

Torsten is a member of this forum. Maybe he can add "a few words" if he reads this thread.