What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Brigadoon -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Why do detractors of this film have to show up and comment in this thread? Just a question as I'm fine with people not liking this film as to each his own. I was just wondering why bother commenting in a review thread when you have no intention of buying this disc.

People on forums, and that includes me, just have the compulsion to react to the release of a title they either really like or really dislike. It serves to give voice to feelings about certain movies that non-film aficionados and family would perhaps have no interest in hearing. They see a title in a thread header, and read the thread, and feel the need to add their take on it. On HTF, at least, there are bound to be like-minded people who will validate what they say. I don't think it goes much deeper than that.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
People on forums, and that includes me, just have the compulsion to react to the release of a title [...]
I'm looking forward to this purchase. My only outing with "Brigadoon" was on VHS. Very frustrating. I had no reference points, but knew within the given format that my first-time viewing deserved something better. Not a clue of when, where or what venue that opportunity would come; but VHS was not going to be it. I'm glad I waited to see this musical within its proper presentation; and through WAC, no less.
Not cropped; but wide. Not faded; but vibrant. Not "Briga-doom"; but "Brigadoon".
Finally.:)

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I would be interested in learning of anyone here who might have had the opportunity of attending, or knowing anyone, who saw the Original Broadway production of "Brigadoon"? It's director was Robert Lewis; co-founder of The Actor's Studio; who also starred alongside Katherine Hepburn in "Dragon Seed" (1944) and Charlie Chaplin in "Monsieur Verdoux" (1947).

Last edited:

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Thank you for the wonderful recommendation Mr. Harris! I've loved this movie from the first time I watched it. I bought the soundtrack to it as soon as it came out on cd. The chemistry between Kelly and Charisse is spectacular. I just love everything about it. I do agree about Van Johnson. His character is a real downer, mean, nasty and sarcastic. The way he is in this movie is the reason why I don't care much for him in real life. I hope it's just good acting and that he was a great person to be around!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
As long as we don't go to extremes (as if!), then I'm fine with people letting us all know what they think of the movie. No-one here has offended anyone at all and I'm sure Billy Batson and Nara would get on fine over a glass of fine Irish whisky!

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
As long as we don't go to extremes (as if!), then I'm fine with people letting us all know what they think of the movie. No-one here has offended anyone at all and I'm sure Billy Batson and Nara would get on fine over a glass of fine Irish whisky!

Totally agree. I find the back-and-forth interesting, especially on a film I know very little about. Helps me in my purchase decision. If we're going to restrict comments to only those who love the film, the forum becomes useless to me except as a list of what's coming out. Of course, this excludes name-calling and other abusive language. Otherwise, I say bring it on, all of it!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Totally agree. I find the back-and-forth interesting, especially on a film I know very little about. Helps me in my purchase decision. If we're going to restrict comments to only those who love the film, the forum becomes useless to me except as a list of what's coming out. Of course, this excludes name-calling and other abusive language. Otherwise, I say bring it on, all of it!
Who said anything about restricting comments? Let's not get ahead of ourselves with assertions that are not happening. I simply asked a question and it was answered by several members.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh

Irish? No. Scotch? Yes. An invitation is cordially extended. :cheers:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm sure Billy Batson and Nara would get on fine over a glass of fine Irish whisky!

Oh we'd get along great, in fact I'm sure I'd get along with almost everyone here, after all, we're all movie lovers, but my tipple of choice is bourbon:)

...so that's The Law & Jake Wade & Brigadoon from this month & The Sea Wolf & Hell On Frisco Bay for next month, so WAC, keep on trucking.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
I've had the DVD for some time and find it quite marvellous - not just the film itself but the quality of the disc so I'm looking forward to the Blu-ray being even better. I find the production design to be a uniquely impressive - nay, staggering - achievment.

As an irelevent footnote: I live just outside London, half an hour from one of the mainline stations, but the trains can be erratic. Whenever I'm visited by a friend, who also has a theatre work background, he always refers to the place as BRIGADOON.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Oh we'd get along great, in fact I'm sure I'd get along with almost everyone here, after all, we're all movie lovers, but my tipple of choice is bourbon:)

...so that's The Law & Jake Wade & Brigadoon from this month & The Sea Wolf & Hell On Frisco Bay for next month, so WAC, keep on trucking.

And on DVD, a chronological treasure trove of Porky Pig animated shorts, from his lowly beginnings in 20 shades of gray, into the Technicolor era...

DeeF

Screenwriter
I kinda wish they would put the flat version on disk, too. Just for comparison sake, also, because I want it. But yeah, I'll be buying this.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
At its best, "Brigadoon" is musical magic with the inspired adaptation of the Lerner-Loewe score performed, under the baton of Johnny Green, by the MGM studio orchestra and chorus. The dancing is beautiful, as are the group numbers. Sure, location shooting would have enhanced the film immeasurably, but it still packs a wallop as strongly as it does on stage. My one reserve about this is the weird performance by Van Johnson. Just can't quite figure out why Gene Kelly would be friends with the cynical character Johnson portrays.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Apparently Arthur Freed first wanted Donald O'Connor for the Johnson part, but his contract at MGM had ended.
In his autobiography Minnelli describes Van Johnson's performance as...
"Van Johnson, on the other hand, embarrassed me with riches. His portrayal of Gene's sidekick was magnified, if not magnetic. Van was cursed with a mugger's face, and every director had to watch him to make sure he wasn't too expressive."

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Everyone sees things differently. That's what makes life interesting. If Mr. Minnelli was satisfied with Van Johnson's performance, then so be it. I wonder what Donald O'Connor's take on the character would have been?

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Isn't that funny. From the quote I posted I got the feeling Minnelli didn't really like Johnson's performance feeling it was a little over the top.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Never seen this movie, but having recently visited Scotland, I can imagine how grand this would have appeared on location, especially with Edinburgh Castle as a backdrop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks