What's new

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Best Actress was the biggest surprise/upset for the evening for me. I actually predicted Green Book for BP. But I thought sure that either Glenn Close or Lady Gaga were a lock for Actress in a Leading Role.

Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Best Actress was the biggest surprise/upset for the evening for me. I actually predicted Green Book for BP. But I thought sure that either Glenn Close or Lady Gaga were a lock for Actress in a Leading Role.

Mark
I never thought Gaga had more than
a slight chance since A Star Is Born has been virtually shut out of all the prior awards shows.

Tho I’m very happy Olivia Coleman won as she was my favorite performance in that category and much better I thought than Gaga and Close.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
&
Never mind the Queen aspects, Mark;
go into "Bohemian Rhapsody" knowing that you'll be witness to an uncanny tour-de-force performance by Rami Malek;
the hands down winner for this year's Best Actor.:cool:
AMEN!
Understand
the Gaga aspects entirely, but it is Lady Glenn's turn.
Ms. Close, since her first nomination, has endured a 36 year waiting period for Oscar;
and this win will not be a sympathy award, either; for this is acting at its best.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Glenn Close should have won for Fatal Attraction.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Glenn Close should have won for Fatal Attraction.
I Cher your sentiments;
but those who didn't were probably moonstruck.;)

Also nominated for Best Actress (1987):
Holly Hunter - Broadcast News
Sally Kirkland - Anna
Meryl Streep - Ironweed

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Bohemian Rhapsody this afternoon. The UHD disc is a stunning transfer, sharp, detailed, and the sound is fantastic.

The script for the film I found lacking: Mercury's attraction to men causing the break between him and Mary was very clumsily handled (they're happy and then they're not), and his constant pining for her got very tiresome while an obvious stream of (unseen) men in his bed led to his dire health consequences. Besides the continuity of the facts being off, I just felt the movie didn't have the courage of its convictions. It should have been more explicit with its flamboyant subject; playing it safe made it a wildly successful entertainment for a general audience but for me very undernourished as a dramatic representation of a life.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Willem Defoe should of won for AT ETERNITIES GATE. MARY POPPINS RETURNS FOR costumes and visual effects. Yes on Glenn Close and ROMA. Next time instead of getting rid of the host they should get rid of the audience. They have no idea want they are voting for and I am sure they have not seen half of the nominees.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
& AMEN!

Understand
the Gaga aspects entirely, but it is Lady Glenn's turn.
Ms. Close, since her first nomination, has endured a 36 year waiting period for Oscar;
and this win will not be a sympathy award, either; for this is acting at its best.:thumbs-up-smiley:

You've got lucky neighbors.:)
[/QUOTE]
And Dangerous Liaisons, Albert Nobbs and ...
She's become the Susan Lucci of the OSCARS(TM)
LOL! You don’t know how much I smiled at this! :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This is currently $10 on iTunes and maybe the other digital video platforms

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Next time instead of getting rid of the host they should get rid of the audience. They have no idea want they are voting for and I am sure they have not seen half of the nominees.

That's an argument that has been around for years and theory that was openly acknowledged with Brokeback Mountain/Crash in the run up to that Oscar telecast.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That's an argument that has been around for years and theory that was openly acknowledged with Brokeback Mountain/Crash in the run up to that Oscar telecast.
They used to hold screenings and they still may... but the voters get screeners from what I've heard ...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
"Used to hold" screenings doesn't mean you're compelled to go. Or watch the screener. At least one voter openly said they didn't watch the movie back then.

If you don't see all the nominees, you shouldn't be able to vote. But that's only my opinion. It's like me saying I had the best sushi in the whole world last night...and it was the first time I ever ate sushi. I have no reference point. If you're gonna be a voter, be a voter. Take it seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks