What's new

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
Fact: Everyone has an opinion.
Opinion: Everyone has a fact.
Fact: There will be a Best Picture winner.
Opinion: It may not actually happen until Monday.:D
FACT: The Best Picture winner will absolutely NOT be "Bohemian Rhapsody."

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
That’s not even a bold prediction. Many are predicting it won’t win.

But repeating that it is a fact over and over is absurd. :rolleyes:

Of course it isn't a bold prediction. It's an accurate one. And the fact that MANY (as you put it) are predicting it won't win is precisely why it doesn't have a GREAT CHANCE (as you also put it) of winning. It IS a fact that it will not win since the voting has already been completed, but you'll discover the fact tomorrow night. It has only a slightly better chance of winning than "The Avengers: Infinity War," which wasn't nominated.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
For the record I think along with Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star Is Born, Roma and The Favourite have a great shot at Best Picture.

Any of them can win except for Vice in my opinion.

Reactions: PMF

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Oh and also BlacKkKlansman, Black Panther and Green Book also have a great shot.:D

Reactions: PMF

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Here’s an actual fact. One of the eight nominated films will definitely win. :lol:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think Bohemian Rhapsody has a real chance of winning because it was not nominated for a Best Director Oscar.

In general, BP nominees that don’t get a BD nomination are not considered serious contenders.

And that’s why I think Bohemian Rhapsody won’t win.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don’t think Bohemian Rhapsody has a real chance of winning because it was not nominated for a Best Director Oscar.

In general, BP nominees that don’t get a BD nomination are not considered serious contenders.

And that’s why I think Bohemian Rhapsody won’t win.
You’re probably right but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
We've been over this. I don't like Queen. I don't want to watch a movie about a band whose music I don't like. I'm not sure why you think that's a weird choice.

I love the movie Jersey Boys, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who doesn't like Frankie Valli.
No worries Jake. I don’t think it’s weird at all. Sorry if it sounded that way.

There another member here, Mark Booth, who felt the same way you did and had no desire to see it. Well, after seeing it he loved it.

That’s my only point. You never know.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That’s my only point. You never know.

That's fair. But I'm okay with that.

I saw 84 movies in theaters last year, plus a lot of stuff on Blu-ray. But you can't see everything. I'm sure there are movies that exist in the world that I would like that I won't end up seeing for one reason or another. But I see a lot, so I can't complain.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That's fair. But I'm okay with that.

I saw 84 movies in theaters last year, plus a lot of stuff on Blu-ray. But you can't see everything. I'm sure there are movies that exist in the world that I would like that I won't end up seeing for one reason or another. But I see a lot, so I can't complain.

Not to beat a dead horse Jake, but I'll echo Tino's sentiments about Bohemian Rhapsody. Don't let your opinion of Queen's music prevent you from seeing a very entertaining film and a spectacular lead performance (which I think Rami Malek will win Best Actor for). I'm not a real Lady Gaga fan, for example, but I enjoyed A Star is Born all the same.

I'll make you a deal. I will loan you my Blu-ray copy of Bohemian Rhapsody if you'll watch it. No cost to you but your time. PM me if you're interested and I'll be happy to drop it in the mail to you. ;)

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm watching both of these titles on 4K/UHD tomorrow morning and afternoon before the Oscar ceremonies. This will be my third viewing of "A Star is Born" and my second viewing of "Bohemian Rhapsody". Both films deserved their nominations and good luck to them for the actual awards. I'm going to be cranking up the volume in Crawdaddy's HT starting tomorrow morning. I hope I don't wake my neighbors.:)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I watched them both recently and they look and sound tremendous. The Atmos on both really gave my system a workout.

Two terrific films with great lead performances and great music.

And of course, obviously, ymmv.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got the UHD disc set for Bohemian Rhapsody this afternoon, and I plan to watch it tomorrow afternoon before the Oscar telecast. I'll post my thoughts here after I've watched the disc.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

You're right, but exceptions do exist, and I think BP winners without BD noms are gonna be more common in the era of the "up to 10" BP noms.

IIRC, "Argo" won BP without a BD nom - I believe that's the most recent example.

And going back 30 years, "Driving Miss Daisy" did it even in the 5-nom era.

It seems even more possible this year because 1 of the 5 BD noms went to a director of a movie that didn't get a BP nom, and IMO, 2 of the 4 BD-noms went to films I think have very low chances of winning BP ("Favourite" and "Vice").

So if BP goes to a BD-nommed film, it'd have to be "Klansman" or "Roma", in my estimation.

Certainly possible. This year really is the most wide-open Oscar crop I can remember in terms of BP!

Oh, and back on thread topic: if Gaga doesn't win Best Actress, I'm gonna smash stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks