What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Star Wars: Return of the Jedi -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Return of the Jedi is either the third or sixth film in the Star Wars series, dependent upon how one perceives it.

Regardless, you all know the storyline.

The new 4k UHD / HDR release from Disney is just fine.

Has grain been managed?

Of course, but it looks fine. Possibly because of it, one can make out matte lines that may have been at least partially hidden in the past.

But I forgive Disney their exigencies on these films, as they've all been massaged digitally anyway. On the classic animation, not so much.

Put your nose against the screen and stare at a background, that's probably a matte painting, and you may see some
what appears to be grain, that doesn't move, but it's probably a still image anyway.

Bottom line, it looks and sound fine.

Better audio in 4k, as we have Dolby Atmos. As to those without it, let them listen to their Vitaphone discs. We don't care.

As noted previously, and in regard to grain reduction, and whatever other massaging mechanisms may have been used, I don't regard these as serious cinema. Simple as that.

Enjoy.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

APPENDING:

It has not gone unnoticed that there seems to a mix of steelbooks, and magnificently rendered (read: highly collectible) slipcases for this series, but this particular copy, as received from Best Buy, had no special packaging whatsoever.

Obviously a Disney plot to digitally remove special ceremonial packaging, which should be taken extremely seriously.

A class action suit may be in order.

What purpose does a 4k UHD disc serve, without its protective gear?

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
But I forgive Disney their exigencies on these films, as they've all been massaged digitally anyway. On the classic animation, not so much.

Well, they weren't massaged digitally prior to 1997. Of course, the folks at Lucasfilm would have us believe that these movies didn't exist at all prior to 1997, and anything someone may have seen before then, despite grossing hundreds of millions of dollars in box office revenue, was an unfinished workprint stolen from the lab and never intended for public view.

As noted previously, and in regard to grain reduction, and whatever other massaging mechanisms may have been used, I don't regard these as serious cinema. Simple as that.

A strange attitude to take. Does every not-serious movie get an automatic 5-star image rating no matter what it looks like?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well, they weren't massaged digitally prior to 1997. Of course, the folks at Lucasfilm would have us believe that these movies didn't exist at all prior to 1997, and anything someone may have seen before then, despite grossing hundreds of millions of dollars in box office revenue, was an unfinished workprint stolen from the lab and never intended for public view.

A strange attitude to take. Does every not-serious movie get an automatic 5-star image rating no matter what it looks like?

A special case of “popular” entertainment, for the great unwashed masses.

It’s a wonderful companion piece to Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Swinging Stewardesses 3D in 4k.

That, and investing 100 million dollars plus, in a couple of straight to (as in shot on) videos.

And in answer to your serious point, I’m certain that there are masters on the original cut of the first film, in duplicate or triplicate, all properly geo-sep.

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’m generally okay with the SE’s existence, but I’ll go further and say that the new music at the end of RotJ is above and beyond better than the original “Yub Nub”. The only change that I prefer to the original.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
"What purpose does a 4k UHD disc serve, without its protective gear?"

A very troubling question, possibly even more troubling than the green Maggie Smith was contemplating wearing in GOSFORD PARK.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I’m generally okay with the SE’s existence, but I’ll go further and say that the new music at the end of RotJ is above and beyond better than the original “Yub Nub”. The only change that I prefer to the original.

Same here. The new music makes the celebration seem more somber and less kid-friendly.

"Jedi Rocks" is a catastrophe, though!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
At least "Lapti Nek" doesn't suddenly turn into a big production number out of nowhere. It integrates better with the story and doesn't become this weird over the top distraction...
I can't argue with that but I like that it turns into a weird over the top distraction. I have some things In common with George's odd sense of humor.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I still ROTJ was directed by David Lynch, and music by Elton John as George Lucas originally wished;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks