What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Star Wars: Return of the Jedi -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I had no idea the original Jabba palace music number was called “Lapti Nek”. Lol! I’m still learning things about Star Wars!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I’m generally okay with the SE’s existence, but I’ll go further and say that the new music at the end of RotJ is above and beyond better than the original “Yub Nub”. The only change that I prefer to the original.
Am I the only one who thought the Yub Nub melody was a rip-off of the 1963 hit song Mickey’s Monkey by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles?

drdave319

Agent
Real Name
David E. Gillespie II
I definitely agree with you on many fronts on this review (and all of your Star Wars 4K reviews) as my one and only complaint isn't so much in content (as I wholeheartedly believe that the "original cuts" will be released eventually...as people have wanted for so long), but the fact that Best Buy didn't have Steelbook releases for these. Did they do this so as to not cause competition for their "Skywalker Saga" set? I don't think so as that is geared towards a niche collector. I bet that Steelbook releases are coming and may even include those long, sought after Original Cuts! Either way, the fact that Wonder Woman is getting, what...a THIRD Steelbook release soon and Black Panther got like two, Star Wars almost HAS TO get one! (the only ones out there are regular BluRay, I believe)

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I bet that Steelbook releases are coming and may even include those long, sought after Original Cuts!

Kathleen Kennedy has no interest in restoring the original theatrical cuts. We'll have to wait for another regime change before there's any hope of that.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I doubt it will ever happen as long as George Lucas is alive. It wouldn't surprise me one little bit if he and Disney have a handshake deal to not release the OCs while he' still around.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Everything is sales driven.

disney will be looking at sales of these discs for future releases.

as well as digital sales Of the films.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I doubt it will ever happen as long as George Lucas is alive. It wouldn't surprise me one little bit if he and Disney have a handshake deal to not release the OCs while he' still around.
If they haven't released the originals yet, I think Lucas got in the contract when LFL was sold that they not come out ever. Why would Lucas trust a corporation to honor a handshake deal and why would a corporation honor a handshake deal when there was money to be made?

And whenever I say that, people say how Disney wouldn't accept that but they absolutely would because the money to be made off of the originals is a drop in the bucket compared to what they could make off of new movies and, most financially important, the merchandise.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
If they haven't released the originals yet, I think Lucas got in the contract when LFL was sold that they not come out ever.

even if that did happen, I doubt it would actually hold up. Disney owns the property now. It’s theirs to do what the want with. And even if it did, if Disney wanted to, they could probably make one imperceptible change to each film and claim they aren’t the “originals”

dpippel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If they haven't released the originals yet, I think Lucas got in the contract when LFL was sold that they not come out ever. Why would Lucas trust a corporation to honor a handshake deal and why would a corporation honor a handshake deal when there was money to be made?

Because it's just not that much money in the grand scheme of the deal. The number of people who give a damn about the original films is a tiny, tiny percentage of the Star Wars market. Regardless, we'll never know. All that I'm fairly sure of is that we'll never see those original versions released as long as Lucas draws breath. What happens when he's no longer with us is anyone's guess.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Because it's just not that much money in the grand scheme of the deal. The number of people who give a damn about the original films is a tiny, tiny percentage of the Star Wars market. Regardless, we'll never know. All that I'm fairly sure of is that we'll never see those original versions released as long as Lucas draws breath. What happens when he's no longer with us is anyone's guess.
I can't see why Lucas would set up a deal where it ended with his death. Part of selling to Disney was setting Star Wars up at a place where it would continue to exist so why would he ever want 'incomplete' versions available?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Yup. And with physical media in increasing decline year after year, it becomes even less likely.

dpippel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I can't see why Lucas would set up a deal where it ended with his death. Part of selling to Disney was setting Star Wars up at a place where it would continue to exist so why would he ever want 'incomplete' versions available?

Maybe as a parting gesture of goodwill to the fans who've been clamoring for them? I mean, Lucas would no longer be in a position to care. ;)

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

Disney certainly didn't honor the handshake deal they had to allow Lucas to consult with story ideas for the sequel trilogy.

drdave319

Agent
Real Name
David E. Gillespie II
Well......original versions or not, I just want Best Buy to hurry up and get the 4K Steelbox's on the shelf for each individual movie.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I had no idea the original Jabba palace music number was called “Lapti Nek”. Lol! I’m still learning things about Star Wars!
Amazing! It was on the original soundtrack album, which was released before the movie came out.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,

I picked up the Skywalker Saga box set that includes all the Star Wars films on blu ray and the 4K UHD discs when it first came out in 2020. At the time, I did not have a 4K display yet. Late last year, I upgraded to a 4K display and I finally got to watch one of the 4K discs last night.

I did watch episode 4 and 5 via an earlier version because I was curious how they looked on the display. But when I started to watch Jedi on the 4K dsplay, I decided to start over and watch the 4K UHD. To say the 4K is an improvement in the image quality is an understatement . However, I wonder about the amount the grain gone and how dark Darth Vader’s black helmet and armor appears. I’m not one to complain that 4K discs I’ve seen look dark, because I don’t think they do. But this film does look a bit dark. I wondered if all the image tinkering done had darkened the dark areas of the image a bit. The daylight sequences look fine. I’m not sure without remembering what this film looked like in the theater when I saw it. It does look solid!

I remember seeing a few traveling mattes during the theatrical release, and I saw it on that other version. But the traveling matte around Vader’s shuttle as it travels to the Death Star at the start of the film is all gone In this new 4K edition.

I’m not a big fan of the 1997 alterations to these films either, but for Jedi. I thought it was OK, with the exception of the above discussed Lepti Nek sequence, I just skip that part.

After watching this 4K disc of Jedi, I’m going to have to set a time to do a watch of Episode 1 to 6 from the 4K set. I do like what Lucas was trying to do with the prequels. And it was nice to see it pay off in Jedi. I think episodes 7 to 9 starts off strong, but 8 and 9 fall apart.

At some point, it will be nice to see the original trilogy in HD or 4K as it was in 1977 and 1980 and 1983. After all we finally got Star Trek The Motion Picture Directors Edition remastered and completed. So Star Wars no-longer Special Editons will be cool. I don’t subscribe to Disney, but seeing how much they are mining the franchise, I’d think eventually they’ll find a way to revisit the original trilogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chantalc
Recent bookmarks