What's new

A few questions about Cablevision... (1 Viewer)

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I have a few questions about Cablevision. I have them coming out to my place in Pearl River, NY in 2 weeks to setup my new hdtv digital box. I currently DO NOT have a cable box from them of any sorts. SO I have a few questions I was hoping could be answered...

1) I have my main cable line split all over the house. Some people have told me this is illegal? Is this true? Will the cable guy yell at me and try to kill me at Medevial Times?

2) How will the cable guy hook up the cable box? WIll he connect it to my TV using S-Video, Component or HDMI?(I prefer component, but do I have a choice?)

3) Will the cable box provide a 5.1 optical connection?

4) What channels does Cablevision offer with the basic subscription that come in HD?

5) Will the cable guy use quality cable to hook the box up to my TV?

6) Anything else I should know or do to assist the cable guy or make sure I am getting a good setup? And do you tip?

Thanks for all the help! Hope I was clear. Oh and the TV is a Toshiba 46HM84 if that helps and I can not wait for it to get here!!!

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Only question I can help with is #1...I'd often wondered about this but was told recently it wasn't a problem. So I finally let the cable guy in the house to fix my Optimum Online connection and he didn't mention my 3 TV's all running on the same cable connection as being a problem.

No gaurantees, but I don't think this is a problem anymore.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Yeah I mean I'm really not trying or wanting to rip off the cable company. I just honestly didn't think it was an issue and then some of my friends and parents said that I could be arressted?? lol. I am a teacher so I really don't need to get busted for stealing cable.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think that the cable person will more than likely ask you how many "extra" boxes you want. I think you get a discount if you have more than one.

Glenn

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
1) Lol, you probably don't have to worry about a Medieval Times experience, the cable guy may point out that having the signal split can cause signal weakness but they dont care if you split from a legal standpoint, since the service is a flat rate, and the only extra charge you get is per cable box and remote, not per tv. My initial HD setup was on a split line and I had trouble receiving a lot of channels, so they came back and ran a second cable directly to the cable box.

2) and 3) The SA4200HD has a DVI output while the SA8300HD has an HDMI output and an optical connection. If you are planning on using DVI/HDMI depending on the box, make sure you request it beforehand so they will bring a box with the correct output. I'd recommend going for the SA8300HD with the DVR service, it's worth the extra $9.99 a month to be able to record shows in HD.

4) Any channel that you get with the basic iO subscription will be available in HD (CBSHD, ESPNHD...) but you need to subscribe to the premium channels like HBO to get their HD counterparts.

5) I always use my own DVI/HDMI cables, which Cablevision does not provide. They do provide Component cables if necessary but I don't know about the quality. I'm using a Monster HDMI-DVI cable to connect my SA8300HD to my Sony LCD RPTV and the HD quality is excellent.

6) I gave a $5 tip, the guys I've had were very efficient and helpful.

Also, a good website to visit is the Cablevision_Digital Yahoo! Group, a lot of useful posts there, and a tech guy from cablevision also posts there frequently.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks