What can be done against Cablevision?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Dec 12, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

We've been a loyal Cablevision customer here in NJ, If only because we don't have any other choice. I want to try Direct TV, but the parents, not being the most tech savy of people, want to stick with 'Good Ol' Cablevision, despite their shifty buisness practicess.

So, here's two questions for you.

1)Not knowing much about this, here goes. Is it because of De-Regulation that allows Cablevision to be the only cable choice in certain neighborhoods? If so, is there any chance of getting this industry regulated again? There are plenty of ticked off customers, but nothing to let us organize against this company..

2)How can we, the consumer, who have limited choices sans getting rid of the TV all together, stop Cablevision from constantly raising their prices? Just saw a local news report stating that the LI division is raising their Prices AGAIN by %10 begining early next year, making them the highest in the nation. Don't know if this is for ALL outlets, or just local ones, but I don't like the sound of it. I mean, can they just keep on raising their price, without giving us something in exchange, indefinetly?

We've waited 5 years for Calemodems, only to get them early this year. We still havn't gotten digital cable yet, let alone some popular networks that companies like Time Warner has had for a few years now...

I mean, what Gives? Anyone else here in the same boat?

2. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Neil, I'm from Long Island and am finally considering dumping Cablevision. Since deregulation took place, Cablevision has raised its rates more often so I'd assume deregulation caused that. But I really know nothing about the issue.

Every year Cablevision raises our rates and adds two useless channels to make it seem like you're actually getting something for the rate hike. Last year we got the Soap Opera channel and a shopping network. This year, the Travel Channel and a Spanish language channel are coming in January. Oh, goody. By January, my bill will have risen by $11/month over the last 2 years.

This year is the kicker though. We got a letter from Cablevision advising us that effective January 15, our service will be discontinued unless we either A) Get a cable box or B) Sign up for Cablevision's IO service.

I'm new to our neighborhood, but our neighbors have told us that our area of town wasn't equipped for cable service with cable boxes and that they've never been able to use a box. Now that IO is available here, Cablevision has decided to give us this ultimatum. It's effecting something like 400 families in our area, and a few other areas on Long Island as well.

So my options are to pay an extra $9.99 a month for an IO silver package in addition to the annual rate hike and our regular monthly bill, or just pay the extra $4 month for a box that we are now equipped to use in addition to our regular monthly bill plus the rate hike.....Or we can dump Cablevision or be dumped by them.

We're looking into DirectTV, but the cost isn't any better. Aside from the dish companies, Cablevision has always been our only option so I don't know what can be done. All I can hope for is that DirectTv will seize on the opportunity to drop the hammer on Cablevision by offering better rates to their legion of disgruntled customers. But that hasn't happened.

Either that, or boycott anything and everything connected to Cablevision starting with the Knicks, Rangers, MSG, Radio City events and of course, the Wiz. With the Rangers and Knicks sucking like they do, now's the time!

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>This year is the kicker though. We got a letter from Cablevision advising us that effective January 15, our service will be discontinued unless we either A) Get a cable box or B) Sign up for Cablevision's IO service.>

Now THIS wasn't in the report. If this is for all areas, I really hope we do ditch it for the Dish. What I don't get, though, is why would they force you to buy a non digital cable box if you don't need one?

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I think every cable company in the country is raising rates starting Jan 1.

5. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

6. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>My theory is that Cablevision is heavily invested in IO and desperately needs it to succeed because so far it has been a bust. The company isn't doing well financially. >

Hmm, no surprise there. Have you seen the shitty lineup for that thing? Nothing but movie channels. Maby if they added a few dozen networks to compete with Satellite, the $9's WOULDN'T seem like much.

7. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Yep-No doubt about it..Cablevision wants everyone to switch to IO. Have all the quirks been worked out of the IO system yet. I have heard about a lot of lockups and rebooting in the beginning.

Carl-What part of LI are you in with this ultimatum?

8. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Exactly Neil! The lineup isn't good, and do I really need 4 different versions of the Discovery channel?

Michael, I only know two people who have IO, and they are pretty happy with the image quality and sound and haven't complained about the service at all. I'm from Oceanside, south shore of Nassau. Strangely enough, I just found out today that our area is also one of the few not equipped to get Verizon's DSL.

Don't know what it is about our neighborhood since we're pretty new here. Never occurred to me to ask about this stuff when we bought the house. Go figure.

9. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

My wife has Verizon DSL, compliments of her work. I have DirecTV already..and most of my watching is on that system. I guess the main advantage of having Cablevision in my house right now is the 3 "covert" high definition stations. I am embracing any HD available and having MSG and FOX Sports is a big plus. Once these disappear from the system, I am pretty sure that I will be gone also.

I am also trying to hold out for the newer IO digital cable boxes. If there is a future for Cablevision high def, it will not be with the Sony boxes that are currently out there. There is no video out that is capable of passing HD. I have heard they will be dealing with another brand, Scientific Atlanta?

10. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

11. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Cablevision is the biggest scumbag of all the cable companies.

I haven't lived in LI since the mid-90's but the tactics they employed were horrendous.

The problem is that they own a lot of programming and they shove it down your throat whether you want it or not. Plus, they have always had the highest rates in the country.

I remember not being able to watch the NBA on TNT, because Cablevision wouldn't carry it - they shoved Bravo! down your throat.

I remember when the Yankees moved from a Cablevision-owned channel to MSG. Cablevision then decided to move MSG to a pay channel instead of basic. [Apparently this happened again when they bought MSG, and the Yankees moved to the YES! network and now you can't see the Yankees at all].

I remember when Cablevision would routinely "shake down" customers who they suspected of stealing cable. They would threaten you with legal proceedings if you didn't give them a couple thousand dollars.

I long for the day when they go bankrupt and I will dance on their grave.

GET THE DISH!!!

12. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Marvin:
    I just had the chance to see the 'io' in action at a friend's house. The picture is every bit as good as DSS (pains me to admit it). The music channels are ok and if you like the idea of commercial free music, you'll love them. I think we were listening/watching classic rock. I was amazed to see a 'smart card' sticking out of the front of the Scientific Atlanta box. I would have figured that they'd use something else, given all the DSS smart card hacking that is supposed to be going on. As you may be able to tell, I am no fan of cablevision either. I hope that they go belly up and soon. They recently called me asking if I wanted the new service. I asked if they had the YES network, when the lady said 'no', I said no thanks and hung up !

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I dumped cable early in the year, and, to this day, still don't miss it (and its ever-increasing rates). What's more, my picture on certain channels has improved dramatically (OTA all the way!). WIth a large, large selection of DVDs, two home-theater setups, and the omnipresent allure of the Internet, why bother with cable?

(The original plan had been to go to DBS earlier this year, but with my DVD library closing in on the 500-title mark I have little incentive. 'Sides, most of my "television" watching has always been focused on PBS, which is free.)

14. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

My experience with IO: LOUD fan (always on), and awful looking non-premium channels. They must shift the bandwidth toward their pay (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc.) channels, giving short shrift to others.

However, now that I've been snookered into DirecTV for a year, and see how poor ALL of the channels look other than the HD ones, I'll probably go back to IO, and as Michael Lee stated, make use of their 3 'covert' HD channels.

Not to take this thread in another direction, but I continue to be shocked at how poorly most stations look via DirectTV. If you have a large screen (mine is 57"), read on some forums how disappointed others are too. I guess having 900 channels with limited bandwidth takes its toll.

15. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

16. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I recently lost The Playboy Channel for Women Lifetime Network [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Cablevision has got to go!!!!