DishNet Just as annoying as cable!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Czr, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Tom Czr

Tom Czr Agent

I need to vent so you are the victems of my horror story.
    Being sick of cable and thier horrible customer service record (Cablevision NYC, it doesnt help that they ruined the Knicks for me forever)I decide to look into a dish system.
    I picked up a Dish Network brochure at a local retailer and called the company for information. I spoke on two occasions to a rep both times explaining the setup of the house I live in
    "It was built as a two family house but being sick of renting to tennants who run roughshod over the place the house is now occupied by my family alone. Myself, my brother , and my uncle live there. Will that be a problem if I order 4 recievers placed over the two floors and basement?"
    Every time I asked the question I recieved a resounding "NO PROBLEM!"
    So after a few weeks I finally ran the phone lines that I was told were required in order to use the system in the TV rooms and called to place the order. Both the person I placed my order with and the second rep who confirmed the order answered my above question with NO PROBLEM!
    (Thats 4 reps now)
    "oh and by the way you dont really need a phone line"
    AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHH! I just wasted two weeks thinking I needed the line. (My fault for takin 2 weeks to do it)
    So the installer comes yesterday looks around and says
    "This is a two family house, I cant install here"[​IMG]
    Not only did nobody tell him about the agreement I had with the reps but it goes one step further.
    After arguing with my 10th customer service agent of the day I cave in...Fine! Just remove one of the recievers from the order and install the system in only one of the two allegged "apartments"
    Get this now-
    "Im sorry sir, due to the installers cancelation you will no longer be allowed to order through Dish Network ever again"
    [​IMG]
    So another 5 agents later I get a supervisor to approve the 3 recievers for instalation on the 1st floor/basement. IN 10 DAYS!!!![​IMG]
    My question to you...what are the odds that this will be screwed up too?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Since you are getting Dish's "professional" installation, there is a good chance that will get screwed up also. You should give the install a try since it's not much harder than running new phone lines.

-Robert

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Just a sec. Let me get out my Murphy's Law die. (20 sided, and 19 of them read 'yes'). Ok, you're going to lose here.

I think that legally, it would only be two places if one of them was a legal renter, but if there isn't any contract, then I think not.

If the building had catv, you might be able to use those jacks and cable lines, but they should be RG-6 and not 59. It also may save a lot of asprins if you just get 2 receivers now (in one address), and order two more after the installer is gone. With two or more receivers, I think they do check the phone line to make sure that it is the same number.

Your safest bet is to get the 'sat guy' to run the lines down from the roof at a point near the middle of both places, with an easy access to add splitters and cable after he is gone.

Good luck

Glenn

4. Tom Czr

Tom Czr Agent

Im not buying the equip, could all this be done without having to buy?

5. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

A HT shop can probably contract the install for not much more than the Dish installers would charge.