What's new

A Different World season 1 due out early next (1 Viewer)

Steve_Z

Stunt Coordinator
In case, you haven't heard the first season of A Different World will be due out in early 06.

I have a question, will the original background music be included on the DVD. In season 1, they played a lot of popular songs as background music.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, word's gotten around about that release! :)

As far as the music is concerned, for both it and for Cosby Show we have no idea how UrbanWorks plans to handle it. They haven't said publicly, and I don't know how one would get any special insight into that aspect of it at this point, since the actual DVD production probably hasn't started yet (the deal was JUST signed).

I'll make a comment on that topic, though. CS and DW are UrbanWork's first foray into TV-DVDs of popular primetime shows, and here's their chance to really shine. They can take the route BCI is taking with He-Man, and use these immensely popular shows as an opportunity to enhance their reputation with the customers by either doing everything 100% perfect or else by volunteering to be really communicative with the consumers about what obstacles are in their way.

In other words, if they DO feel like they have to cut the original music in some way, or they could issue a press release, come here on HTF or a comparable forum, send an e-mail to me or Gord at TVShowsOnDVD or contact a comparable DVD News website, contact a fansite, etc. Find a way to get the word out that says, "We really really wanted to include that stuff, because we're fans, too, but the cost was too high, or there was some legal/rights issue we couldn't untangle, or the elements were too poor, or whatever."

I fear that Fat Albert may be a harbinger, though. Over at BCI, they have been VERY clear and communicative about He-Man in every little detail, including talking plainly about PAL speedup and how it may affect the release (check the discussion forums at He-Man.org for that info; I'm not going to repeat it all here, and nothing's finalized about that anyway). At UrbanWorks, though, they have been doing Fat Albert releases for months now, and have been asked about PAL speedup, and also asked about sydicated episode cuts, and no response has been given to my knowledge.

If someone there is willing to discuss this, then the questions aren't getting relayed to them, which leaves fans with the same impression as if they decide not to discuss it at all. It leaves consumers with the idea that they don't care. And if we can't get answers about Fat Albert, what does it mean for The Cosby Show or A Different World?

No, I'm not ultra-confident about what will happen with these shows, or if we'll know about any issues prior to the sets hitting store shelves. Hopefully they step up this aspect of their game (communication) at UrbanWorks for these releases, because the spotlight's truly on them now.

Steve_Z

Stunt Coordinator
Should be interested to see how they handle the Valentine's Day episode, if they can't get the music rights. In that episode of A Different World, Dwayne played a KASHIF song, and after it was over he said "That was KASHIF". Then he said "Now a song by Keith Sweet". If they can't get the rights to that music, do they have to edit Dwayne's DJ lines?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks